Can young adults or even teenagers can be trained in gym?

Options
ferd_ttp5
ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
Many said about the myths that muscle building and pulling weights can stunt growth factor so it means if you started to pull for long you'll not grow anymore when you are at your teen years even your already 18, Also many said that you can start at 21 years of age when your already at your full growth and no chance to add height anymore, Does this one is true or it is another branch of bro-science? Planning to train myself while maintaining to lose body fat and add visible muscle I'm 18 :)

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Mike O'hearn started at 14. I don't think it stunted his growth.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Weight lifting DOESN'T stunt growth. You height is genetically predetermined. The correlation was that many dudes with "small man" syndrome got into bodybuilding weight lifting and for a long time the average height of competitors was 5'6".
    Look at many kids now. Lots of boys at 16 tower at 6' and above while being in some sort of athletic lifting program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Thanks for more informative answer :)
    Mike O'hearn started at 14. I don't think it stunted his growth.
    Got to search Mike O'hearn quickly his shreded body amazed me up :)

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

At 18, there are really no restrictions or cautions--other than what you would tell any adult beginner (proper form, etc).
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    every elite athlete in the world started lifting weights when they were in highschool or sooner. Think of every single NFL athlete, Olympian, etc...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I started with body weight stuff when I was very young. I started lifting my freshman year of high school because I played football...I was 14/15...didn't stunt my growth, I'm taller than my dad.