PAINFUL

Hey. I've been running 3 times a week for 2 weeks now. The last two times I ran my knees were aching! I've been told this might be "runners knee". I'm going to get knee supports tomorrow, hopefully these help. I've been enjoying running and don't want to give up because of my sore knees. Anybody else have this problem? Do you have any tips? :s

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    See a physio, knee supports are a bad idea if it's not for a diagnosed issue as they just make you rely on them.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    "Runners Knee" is not always a knee problem. It is often caused by an IT Band that runs down the side of your leg.

My tips - Rest. Don't run any more until you can run pain free. If that takes longer than a couple days, it is time to seek advice from a doctor.

When you can run again, go slowly. Do less. Get on a plan to slowly increase your distance. Stretch after you run.

Good luck.
  • Baggyd
    Baggyd Posts: 8 Member
    Ice your knees. At least for a few days. And rest for a week and ease back into running by cutting some of the mileage.
  • caitstewart1401
    caitstewart1401 Posts: 8 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    "Runners Knee" is not always a knee problem. It is often caused by an IT Band that runs down the side of your leg.

My tips - Rest. Don't run any more until you can run pain free. If that takes longer than a couple days, it is time to seek advice from a doctor.

When you can run again, go slowly. Do less. Get on a plan to slowly increase your distance. Stretch after you run.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it a rest for a few days.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Have you been professionally fitted for proper running shoes?
  • caitstewart1401
    lorrpb wrote: »

No I just use adidas running shoes. Do you think this could be the problem?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Winner winner, chicken dinner!
  • tifoso0013
    tifoso0013 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2017
    (1) Rest for about a week and take an anti-inflammatory med or herbal treatment, whatever you prefer (2) Make sure your running shoes are not worn out and you have been properly fitted by an experienced salesperson who is also a runner (3) walk first before returning to running, and ease into running by using a walk-to-run plan you can find on the internet for free (4) If pain persists, see MD and get referral to a PT or physio, whatever you call it (5) don't increase both pace and distance at the same time and use the 10% rule. Increase either pace or distance by no more than 10% after doing several runs at the previous level; for example, do a 20 minute run at 10:00/mile for several times like 5-10 times before increasing to a 22 minute run (10% more) (6) Warm up with a brisk walk, stretch before running and again when finished. Stretching when muscles are warmed up with good blood flow lowers the risk of injury and increases flexibility.
  • caitstewart1401

Should have known! I'll try proper shoes and see how this works out.
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    I used to suffer really badly with my knees and 2 things helped.....

Firstly set the incline to 2% elevation. This mimics outside running and is slightly easier on knees.

Secondly, try keeping your back foot on the ground for longer. I just tried different ways of running and found doing this helps keeps strides shorter.

I'm far from a professional and just letting you know what worked for me. Just last week I struggled to do half a mile before my knee would hurt. Yesterday I ran 3.5 miles non stop.

Hope this helps
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Also use a foam roller if you haven't. It will help with IT band issue as well as quads, hams, hips and back.
  • caitstewart1401
    dawson002 wrote: »
    I used to suffer really badly with my knees and 2 things helped.....

Firstly set the incline to 2% elevation. This mimics outside running and is slightly easier on knees.

Secondly, try keeping your back foot on the ground for longer. I just tried different ways of running and found doing this helps keeps strides shorter.

I'm far from a professional and just letting you know what worked for me. Just last week I struggled to do half a mile before my knee would hurt. Yesterday I ran 3.5 miles non stop.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I'm currently running outside in a woodland area. It's odd because I never had this problem when I ran on the treadmill! That's great that you found a solution. I have a few things to change/try out so hopefully I too will be able to run without my knees hurting!
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member

Should have known! I'll try proper shoes and see how this works out.

go to places like a Running Room where they'll give u a test to see how u walk n recommend a proper running shoes for u. i had shin pains everytime i ran until i got a pair proper shoes. good luck!