Topomax question

Options
newheavensearth
newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all. I recently was taken off of Topomax for migraines after being on it for years. Aside from the return of my horrible migraines (dr is not too concerned about it) my appetite seems to have increased and I gained 7 lbs in 2 weeks. I increased my protein and veggies to offset this. I used a few extra exercise caloried, but nothing else changed. Exercise is still the same. The Topomax didn't seem to affect my weight loss, as I gained and lost depending on intake while on it.

Has anyone else experienced this while coming off of Topomax?

Thanks.

Replies

• morganfx
    morganfx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Topamax (generic: topiramate) works as an appetite suppressant. It doesn't change the way your body processes food, so if you're eating the same amount of food as you were when you were taking it, you won't gain weight. It's pretty common for people to gain when taken off it, though, because of the increase in appetite.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you came off of the topamax?

But agreed with above, are you sure you're logging correctly? Could you be bloated from the increased veggies or anything else? I just started topamax for migraines as well, and am crazy thirsty. Maybe you decreased your fluids and are increased veggies-therefore a little "backed up"?
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Ugh sorry for the migraines, they are a blight.

Weight wise I would imagine that stopping these would probably have a bit of a screwy effect on your body as you readjust too. May be fluid retention too.

I too think it's particularly rough that the Dr. stopped them, sudden withdrawal is not advised due to seizures. Please take care and I hope that your Dr. has a plan in sight to help you deal with the migraines.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    May I ask why you came off of the topamax?

But agreed with above, are you sure you're logging correctly? Could you be bloated from the increased veggies or anything else? I just started topamax for migraines as well, and am crazy thirsty. Maybe you decreased your fluids and are increased veggies-therefore a little "backed up"?

I want to continue it because it's the only thing that helped my migraines. But I'm seeing a new dr who refuses to refill it. I haven't noticed any changes in thirst, but I did increase my water to help flush things out. I am logging correctly because I weigh and measure everything. I also preplan and prelog meals.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I take topomax and my doctor said it helps with weight loss as an appetite suppressant as a side effect but it's not really used for that. The drug tends to cloud your thinking as well.