Reactive Hypoglycemic?

Options
I'm pretty sure I have reactive hypoglycemia... every day I'm fine until about 3-4 hours after I eat breakfast when I get really shaky, weak, & klutzy. I'm looking for advice on building a better breakfast. My standard work breakfast (eaten at work cause I don't have time to eat at home) is 1/2 serving a Kashi GO Lean (varies which kind),1/2 c. 2% greek yogurt, and a cup of coffee w/ half & half.

Typically I will eat at 9am, I don't feel hungry but this is my 'eating time', but if I don't eat then I'll get nauseous. I usually go on a 2.5 mile walk during my lunch hour and then eat my lunch at 1pm when I get back from the walk, but by this time I can tell my blood sugar has tanked.

Does anyone have suggestions to help? I've been a lifelong vegetarian so meats (fish is a meat) are out, also I need ideas that pack easily, I don't cook in the morning (EVER). The rest of the day I feel fine and don't have any issues. Thanks.

Replies

• ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia. I make sure I eat every 2-3 hours and I also have a blood sugar testing kit to monitor my sugar levels. When I get to about 70 I start feeling shaky and lightheaded. I have recently noticed that if I have a glass of wine or two the night before, the next day I experience it more frequently. I hate it, its annoying. Luckily it does not effect my workouts. I usually eat a large breakfast and then immediately work out. I eat another large snack after I workout to prevent a crash. I would go to a doc though to get things checked out and make sure nothing else is going on.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I agree, talk to a doctor to make sure it's not more serious.
  • spydergirl47
    spydergirl47 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I too have reactive hypoglycemia. I find that eating foods lower in carbs and higher in protein and fiber helps a lot. I also keep glucose tabs on me most of the time. I stay away (mostly) from processed foods and avoid HFCS and even Splenda (suralose) at all costs. It took me a number of years to find what triggered my "episodes", but after being admitted to the ER with a blood sugar of 27, I don't mess around. Find a list of foods that are low or on the lower end of the glycemic index and eat from that list. Replace higher glycemic foods such as regular potatoes with sweet potatoes. I also would say goodbye to fruit juices too (unless you need a quick jump of your BS). Good luck!
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what reactive hypoglycemia is, but I know as a diabetic, I eat snacks between meals to keep my sugar stable. Prior to being diabetic, I noticed if I went more than 4 hours without eating I would get the shakes.
  • dreamer182
    dreamer182 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia, and usually you would get a hypoglycemic episode within an hour or two after eating. If you are getting symptoms after 3 or 4 hours, it mostly means that you are ready for another snack or meal because it's been too long since eating, not a reaction from your prior meal. However, if you think you are hypoglycemic, following a low carb high protein diet with lots of small meals is most helpful.
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The Low Blood Sugar Handbook is a great resource. I had problems with hypoglycemia when I was younger but don't anymore. This book is great! I recommend always carrying almonds!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Absolutely see a doctor as suggested above.

If your doctor doesn't have any insight, a testing kit for blood sugar is inexpensive and you can test yourself to find out what your sugars are like when you feel wonky.

I'm a diabetic. Legumes and full fat milk products are what works for me as far as not spiking my blood glucose and keeping it up for a long time when I'm not going to be able to eat within a few hours after breakfast. I also carry smarties and a clementine orange when going to the park.

When I was a teenager I had reactive hypoglycemia and it usually happened after eating a high carb breakfast such as pancakes with syrup and juice, within an hour. Three or four hours after a small low carb meal such as you're describing sounds more like straight up hunger.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    My hypoglycaemia kicks in within an hour

Many people get a little shaky 4 hours out, bodys way of saying eat now

If you think you have a medical condition see a doctor for tests

Mine wouldnt test, the hospital figured it out when i turned grey, clammy and couldnt move from the dizziness and couldnt string a sentence together....... blood sugar level of 1.1
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You should make an appointment with your primary care physician. I was like that when I was a pre diabetic!
  • makame53
    makame53 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia 2-3 hours after breakfast if I eat mainly carbs for breakfast, and if I don't eat enough calories the day before.(1200 calories or less diet) I went to my primary care doctor and she told me to eat more protein.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You could add an egg at breakfast and see if that makes a difference.
    Carry hiker's mix or a protein bar with you if you get shaky. (I find half a bar to be perfect).
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was tested and deemed in the normal range but man, I'd crash and burn pretty quick after a meal. It could be that I'm just sensitive blood sugar wise but I decided to eat as if I had low blood sugar issues. Small, frequent meals throughout the day that are high in protein. I haven't drank fruit juice in close to two decades. I tend to avoid fruit on its own. If I'm going to have it I balance it with something high in protein like peanut butter, cheese or a Greek yogurt. I avoid breakfast cereals and choose things like whole grain English muffins with an egg or almond butter. I'd call my carb intake moderate but carbs are never the bulk of a meal, usually 1/3 with the greatest portion being protein. I've found I do better with a moderate fat intake. (MFP is always yelling at me, haha). I keep protein bars stashed everywhere. If I'm leaving the house and not sure when I'll be back I toss a PB&J in my bag just in case. Anyway, the pattern here is protein, protein, protein. Do get checked out, it's better to know for sure.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    When I switched to a LCHF diet my reactive hypoglycaemia resolved itself. Since I was no longer reliant on carbs for fuel, I did not experience BG swings or symptoms. No more weakness, lightheadedness, shakes or cold sweats. Even if my BG is on the low side, I have no symptoms because I am fat adapted to use fat as fuel.

LCHF is not for everyone, but it worked for me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    First, I agree to see a physician.

Next, let's say you are right and you have reactive hypoglycemia. The best thing to do is to stop creating the circumstances that cause it. Reactive hypoglycemia happens due to an over-abundant response to BG spikes. You can reduce or eliminate postprandial BG spikes by not eating so many carbs. I realize you are vegetarian. Are you open to eating eggs? If not, perhaps nuts? I would say peanut butter if you are comfortable eating it plain or at least not on something with a bunch of carbs (i.e. don't eat toast, it is no better than your high carb cereal).

If you are open to dairy, you can put do coffee with HWC and butter - lots of calories for the day and very low carb, so you won't experience a postprandial BG spike.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who have suggested having a Dr. diagnose you.

I have had Reactive Hypoglycemia for many years (diagnosed). For me, it is staying on a schedule and getting protein. Here is a typical day for me:

9AM Breakfast
    Greek yogurt or shredded wheat and milk

11AM Snack
    8 unsalted roasted almonds

Noon or 1-ish Lunch
    Usually a tuna wrap; fruit; small piece of chocolate

5PM Snack
    Hummus and vegetables

8PM Dinner
    Meat or fish; salad with lots of vegetables; sometimes potatoes or rice; wine; some type of dessert item (could be yogurt, chocolate, almond pudding)
  • strongisthenewsexy_squatqueen
    Options
    Just wrote a long post and deleted it doh!

I think you need to eat prior to your walk, either your lunch or a sugary/carby snack to stop the glucose level dropping
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    3 to 4 hours is pretty normal for most people. When I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia, I was reacting within 10 minutes and crashing for hours despite having quick release sugar. I'd suggest also seeing a doctor if this concerns you but I think you could resolve your issue with a mid morning snack. Most people I know need at least a cup of coffee and a snack mid day to carry them through to lunch, especially if they have more active jobs.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You should get checked out by a doctor. Blood sugar problems is very serious.

As a type 2 diabetic, before controlling my diet I used to go through episodes of pseudo hypoglycemia. That is, my blood sugar would rise after a low fat/low protein carby meal and quickly drop within a couple hours. My lows will still be high, but it was the quick drop in blood sugar that caused the symptoms.