Running Shoes

Options
Hey everyone, I am looking for some recommendations for running shoes that won't break the bank. I'm currently around 350 pounds and walking/running 5 miles a day in addition to resistance training. Does anybody know of a good shoe that will offer enough support for someone my size? Really appreciate the help!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Get gait analysis done
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    What might be the right fit for one person will not be the same for another. Go to a store that specializes in running. They assist helping walkers as well on proper footwear.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    There are too many styles and support options for anyone here to make a proper recommendation. Whether you're neutral, overpronate or underpronate, as well as your arch height and length should all be asessed at a running store. The right shoe will do a lot towards keeping you injury free.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Ncecala wrote: »
    running shoes that won't break the bank.

All good advice above, but I'm not sure it meets your $ requirement. I've had good luck with New Balance shoes from department stores or Academy Sports and never pay more than $60.
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I always find it hard to ask people about running shoes. Never a straight up anwer. This shoe or that shoe. It's always get a gait analysis done first
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I go between asic and soucony. Just bought some Asics today to replace my very worn souconys. Seem pretty similar to me
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I always find it hard to ask people about running shoes. Never a straight up anwer. This shoe or that shoe. It's always get a gait analysis done first

The issue is, if I recommend my preferred shoe, would it work for you?

Mine has a 4mm heel to toe drop, negligible cushioning and very aggressive tread.

Someone else might recommend a 12mm drop motion control shoe with maximal cushioning.

Who says which is most appropriate to the individual?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

There's a reason for that.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

That is a straight answer. If someone tells you to get brand x or y, they don't have a clue what they are doing. They may mean well, but they don't understand. In almost every post like this someone will come in a recommend a shoe that I hate. What if I was a new runner and took their advice? My feet/legs/back would hurt, I would have a bad experience, and I'd probably quit running (thinking it wasn't for me).
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Yep, everyone is different. The shoe that you can wear well may not work for my gait and vice versa. It would be easier if we could all wear the same shoe, but that isn't so.

On this note, I must be blessed. Each time I walk into our little local running store, I'm on the treadmill, in my stocking feet, running at comfortable pace, told my slight pronation isn't anything to worry about and the shoes I like and feel good and work for me are on sale. I usually walk out with two pairs for under $140 total for both. Out of curiosity, I check on Amazon and find that Amazon has them for a few dollars more. I think the store checks ;-)

O.P. find a running store and tell the clerk that you are looking for a gait analysis, fitting and shoes that won't break the bank. You might be pleasantly surprised. If you aren't satisfied, continue to look.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

That is a straight answer. If someone tells you to get brand x or y, they don't have a clue what they are doing. They may mean well, but they don't understand. In almost every post like this someone will come in a recommend a shoe that I hate. What if I was a new runner and took their advice? My feet/legs/back would hurt, I would have a bad experience, and I'd probably quit running (thinking it wasn't for me).

Or worse, wearing a shoe that isn't the proper shoe for your feet and how you run could actually cause you an injury. You end up with tendonitis, fasciitis, toenails that are falling off, and your feet, legs, and back constantly hurt when that could've been avoided by just having a shoe that matches your feet and gait.

It'd be like getting a contact lens recommendation that didn't start with "See an eye doctor to get your vision assessed."
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Ncecala I think it has been well covered by all the experienced runners.

1) Find a good local Running Specific store. Other Runners you meet on local trails are a good resource.
    Avoid a generic sports store (unless it is your only option) as they seem to try to cater to everyone but just don't quite have the staffing experience to give the best results.

2) Ask for a Gait analysis - so be prepared to go for a run on the in-store Treadmill ( barefoot ). So don't go to the store in a 3 Piece Suit.

3) Be brutally honest about your Running experience / knowledge and budget limits. Previous years models might be lurking in the back store room at deep discounts.

4) Do a little Foot care before you go - short nails = happy feet.

5) A shoe that is to big is as bad or worse than a shoe that is to small.

6) No one's has the same technique or same foot shape so there is no one answer that fits about what shoe will be best for you. As you put on miles and get conditioned to running you might even find that what shoes you require might change.
  • BuffingButtons
    BuffingButtons Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lots of criticism on recommending brands, but I will say I've always had a good experience going to New Balance. The employees there do a lot of measurements and basically create a "custom shoe" for me. This has been good for me whereas many just go to a store and pick anything from the shelf. I appreciate New Balance because they measure my length and width and pick the best form fitting shoe and then they compliment it with an insole that forms to my arch. I leave with a shoe that has been fitted to my foot.

It's not cheap, but the shoe lasts a long while. I'd rather pay the price for comfort and quality when it's hard enough to exercise already. I've also had great success tossing New Balance shoes into the washer.

The concierge service seems to be in limited stores so I recommend you call before going. Get their name and ask for them when you arrive.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options

Before, I used to take the advice of others on brand shoes and then I got plantar fasciitis; turns out I wasn't wearing the correct shoe for my foot. After rehabbing it for almost a year and using the correct shoe, I rarely get any pain in my arches.