Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What's better for you, being a vegetarian or eating white meat?

I have a question. I'm trying to figure out whether it's healthier to be a vegetarian or to eat meat, but mainly only white meat, like chicken.

I have been adding baked chicken breast to vegetables for dinner as a way to increase my protein intact but is it healthier to leave it out? Not talking calorie-wise, but over all nutrition. There are so many studies that suggest any meat is unhealthy, but just as many studies that say the opposite.

I don't plan to go 100% vegetarian, I still want bacon on occasion, and a good hamburger every once in a while, but in a day to day occurrence, what are everyone's thoughts? Thanks! Oh, and my goal is to be healthier, which I believe will help with my weight goal (which is to lose 100+ lbs).

Replies

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Vegetarians sometimes don't get enough vitamin B12 and a few minerals. It may be necessary to take supplements. On the other hand, if you're eating more beans, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, you may be getting more be beneficial nutrients​ and fiber than if you were eating more meat. So there could be benefits either way.
  • ginapupillokunda
    ginapupillokunda Posts: 3 Member
    veg for sure
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    I only eat chicken breast and stuff like pork and beef mince. Not a fan of lamb, steak or seafood cause I'm fussy and just don't really like it lol. Don't think either/or is healthier just a preference to what you like I guess?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Studies on this subject are all over the place. One of the larger long-term studies done on the subject found that the healthiest group of people ate meat only occasionally and when they did ate mostly fish. It's possible to be healthy on both meat and non-meat eating diets, but it can be tricky to get all your nutrients as a vegetarian or vegan if you don't know what you're doing.

Protein isn't really the problem - most people get more than enough.

If you're doing this for health reasons, you might consider adding fish as well as chicken.
  • Kshni
    Kshni Posts: 2 Member
    Depends on your body and it's metabolism. I suffer from carb-coma/lethargy if I eat too much starchy foods, so vegetarianism is completely wrong for my body. I also want to eat and eat and eat if I try to eat only plant material, so I would pile on the weight very fast. The scales are going down when I increased my meat intake and decreased my carb intake.

So figure out what does your body best; it might also be good to consult with a qualified dietician/nutrionist.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Studies on this subject are all over the place. One of the larger long-term studies done on the subject found that the healthiest group of people ate meat only occasionally and when they did ate mostly fish. It's possible to be healthy on both meat and non-meat eating diets, but it can be tricky to get all your nutrients as a vegetarian or vegan if you don't know what you're doing.

If you're doing this for health reasons, you might consider adding fish as well as chicken.

This.

I've been doing some research on 'blue zones'. One of the things the groups all have in common is that they eat a mostly plant based diet, with meat 0-5 times a month. I'm especially interested in the only blue zone in the U.S.-the SDA group in Loma Linda California, and while the community is predominately a vegetarian one, there's a sub-set group that includes fish almost daily and they have even better longevity of life outcomes than the vegetarians, (which have significant longevity of life statistics as well).

I'm loosely modeling my woe after them right now-a mostly whole foods, plant based diet with fish 4-5 times a week. But, I still eat meat 1-2 times a week and I don't foresee myself ever eliminating meat completely. I also still drink alcohol and caffeine, which the SDA blue zone does not. I think what's more important than what you're cutting out is what you're adding to your diet. Because of what I've been reading about different woes (blue zones, Mediterranean etc), as well as the recent meta-study that came out from the Imperial College London about veg/fruit quantity, I'm really focusing on upping my veg/fruit intake, whole grains, beans etc. That's most likely more important in terms of healthy diet, than just cutting out meat.

eta: Op-here's a couple of links you may be interested in-
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/04/11/398325030/eating-to-break-100-longevity-diet-tips-from-the-blue-zones

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/newssummary/news_22-2-2017-16-38-0
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I have a question. I'm trying to figure out whether it's healthier to be a vegetarian or to eat meat, but mainly only white meat, like chicken.

I have been adding baked chicken breast to vegetables for dinner as a way to increase my protein intact but is it healthier to leave it out? Not talking calorie-wise, but over all nutrition. There are so many studies that suggest any meat is unhealthy, but just as many studies that say the opposite.

I don't plan to go 100% vegetarian, I still want bacon on occasion, and a good hamburger every once in a while, but in a day to day occurrence, what are everyone's thoughts? Thanks! Oh, and my goal is to be healthier, which I believe will help with my weight goal (which is to lose 100+ lbs).

Neither.
    The choice to eat or not eat meat, dairy, gluten, etc etc etc does not make one healthier or less healthy based on that decision. (*except for those with true sensitivities or intolerances)
  • samwiseenvs
    samwiseenvs Posts: 5 Member

This.

I've been doing some research on 'blue zones'. One of the things the groups all have in common is that they eat a mostly plant based diet, with meat 0-5 times a month. I'm especially interested in the only blue zone in the U.S.-the SDA group in Loma Linda California, and while the community is predominately a vegetarian one, there's a sub-set group that includes fish almost daily and they have even better longevity of life outcomes than the vegetarians, (which have significant longevity of life statistics as well).

I'm loosely modeling my woe after them right now-a mostly whole foods, plant based diet with fish 4-5 times a week. But, I still eat meat 1-2 times a week and I don't foresee myself ever eliminating meat completely. I also still drink alcohol and caffeine, which the SDA blue zone does not. I think what's more important than what you're cutting out is what you're adding to your diet. Because of what I've been reading about different woes (blue zones, Mediterranean etc), as well as the recent meta-study that came out from the Imperial College London about veg/fruit quantity, I'm really focusing on upping my veg/fruit intake, whole grains, beans etc. That's most likely more important in terms of healthy diet, than just cutting out meat.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/04/11/398325030/eating-to-break-100-longevity-diet-tips-from-the-blue-zones

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/newssummary/news_22-2-2017-16-38-0

Thank you! I saw something about this, and how it was healthier but when I started researching it, I found so much conflicting information. Then again, everything about nutrition and health seems to be debated. Carbs? No carbs? Meat? No meat? The only thing I see that is consistent is added sugar is bad lol
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    The decision to restrict certain food groups does not inherently have any health value in and of itself, as you can achieve a perfectly balanced diet either way. Many people who embark on vegan or vegetarian plans do so for social or SJW reasons as opposed to practical ones, but that does not mean you can't achieve a nutritious and balanced diet going this route (though it's probably wise to ensure proper protein intake).

Since your goal is to lose 100 pounds, more important for you right now is to focus upon maintaining a consistent calorie deficit. Calories are calories in the context of weight loss, as the following study points out: cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    This is an either-or? Red meat is a superior source for iron. Why eliminate the possibility for the sake of some misguided ideas about health?

Reflecting on my diary, I'm a dairy-arean. Cheese, yogurt and Kefir wiggle in to my plans every day. There are at least two days a week where meat does not figure at all. Nevertheless I make a roast beef at least once every couple months that then makes it in to stews and sandwiches for days afterwards.

Our teeth say we are omnivores which in turn tells me that people are dietary opportunists. Make full use of the grocery shelves.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    I grew up on a meaty diet, and became an ovo-lacto vegetarian for ten years during which I worked heavy blue collar work. I did a good job of being a healthy vegetarian: getting all the nutrients, etc. Then I met a hunter, and elk blackstrap was the end of that nonsense!
    I've gone back and forth a few times, but I really feel better when I eat animal protein. I could go without dairy, but eggs and flesh give me more energy when I add some to my mostly veg diet. Any flesh in moderation--light, dark, fin or fur. Doesn't take much to make a difference. So whatever makes you feel best.
  • BlackCoffeeBabe
    BlackCoffeeBabe Posts: 20 Member
    I definitely find it easier to make healthy choices as a vegan :)
    I have learned to cook at home instead of relying on prepackaged stuff, and it is a lot easier to avoid fast food etc when you can't just pop in to a McDonalds and grab anything- if I want junk food, I have to plan a special trip to the vegetarian/vegan junk food chain where I live- I can't just go to the KFC that is on every block (not that I'd want to anyway)!
    Eating only plants means my meals are a lot more nutrient dense, and are lower in cholesterol. You also don't have the same hygiene issues that come with the meat and animal product processing industry.

I went vegan for ethical and environmental reasons, and I highly suggest you look in to those reasons too! In my view, mental and social health is a part of overall wellbeing- and how can I be mentally healthy while knowingly being responsible for the deaths of hundreds of innocent animals? How can I be socially healthy while contributing more than is necessary to the downfall of the environment, which will affect people all over the world- or even consume in a way that directly affects the lives of people living with the consequences of animal agriculture?

There are many separate aspects of health, and IMHO not eating meat (or other animal products) improves my health at every level x

Hope you found my input useful in making your decision! :)<3
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited May 2017

I eat meat on a daily basis, usually some form of it with every meal. Red meat, white meat and/or seafood. I also eat lots of vegetables and different varieties of fruits, along with grains, nuts, etc. I've lost 67 pounds and my health has improved vastly, as have my energy levels, sleep, workout performance and overall well-being. I find it very easy to eat a healthy and balanced diet while incorporating meat into it - in fact, I would find it considerably more difficult to do so as a vegetarian/vegan, to the point that I have no desire to even attempt it. Certainly not saying it can't be done, just that I don't consider it worth the effort for me. I love meat and have no ethical/environmental/health concerns over incorporating it as a significant portion of my diet. "Everything in moderation" works very well for me.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    I think the key either way is balance. People can eat like crap whether they are vegetarian or meat-eaters.

I personally found it difficult to eat a balanced diet while going vegetarian. I couldn't get enough protein without blowing out my carb goal for the day. Now, I try to eat lean meats, but I sometimes go for a nice fatty cut of red meat or a burger. I also try to get plenty of fiber, fruits, and veggies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

This.

Thank you! I saw something about this, and how it was healthier but when I started researching it, I found so much conflicting information. Then again, everything about nutrition and health seems to be debated. Carbs? No carbs? Meat? No meat? The only thing I see that is consistent is added sugar is bad lol

It's about prioritization of factors. Whether are not you eat meat is probably at the low end of that. The bigger factors are obesity, inactivity and genetics. Things such as PUFA/MUFA can improve blood lipids, but so can whole grains, oats and fibrious carbs. Added sugar and SFA don't improve blood lipids, but may not adversely affect health if you are consuming adequate fiber/healthy fats.

IMO, people fail to see the forest for the trees.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 43 years. My advice? Unless you have a moral, ethical, cultural, religious, or taste-preference reason to become vegetarian or vegan, don't bother.

Vegetarianism is ever so slightly less convenient. You have to pay a tiny bit more attention in order to get the best nutrition. There are occasional social issues to navigate (like getting invited to dinner at your non-vegetarian new boss's house). None of the issues are insurmountable, but why bother with extra complexity if you don't have a good reason?

Either way of eating can be nutritious. The basic rules are the same for any way of eating: Get enough high-quality protein. Get enough fats, as much as possible from healthy sources (like olive oil, nuts, avocado, etc.). Eat a boatload of nice veggies & fruits (5 servings minimum daily, 10 or more is better). Don't eat anything that you personally find causes you any distress (allergy, intolerance, OMG-that-tastes-awful). That's about it.