So I got a fitbit..

Options
Before I got it my calorie goal was 1,800 a day, everything was fine and dandy, a little hungry now and then but totally doable. Well I synced my fitbit up walked ~20,000 steps today at work and now this thing's telling me I have over 4,000 calories I can eat today and still be good, seems a bit much lol So should I just keep doing the 1,800 or what? I've tried looking for this problem on the forums and couldn't get an answer to a problem Similar to mine, so any help is appreciated.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    It'll be several weeks before your fitbit is most accurate. It takes a while before it "learns" you.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    It'll be several weeks before your fitbit is most accurate. It takes a while before it "learns" you.

This is true.

But we also need to know what the OPs stats are (height, weight, gender, age) before we can know if it's reasonable. If my husband got that many steps, he genuinely would burn that many calories. Me? Not so much.
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Back when I purchased a Garmin Vivosmart HR+ (competitor to FitBit), it did similar. I was seeing numbers that were so far out of whack that, if I followed them, I'd have been packing on the weight. After a few weeks, it settled in and became pretty close to reality.

For now, if you've been comfortable with your progress, ignore the calories on the fitbit, stick with your 1800, and work with that. Check in again in a few weeks, and see if things have gotten closer to your expectations. Once they seem realistic enough that you're not questioning it, work with what it provides.

Even then, though, don't eat back everything it says you can. You want to maintain a deficit to continue to lose weight, and the fitbit will be showing you your maintenance calories.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I find my fitbit pretty accurate now, but it took about 2 weeks to get that way. Stats will make a difference though..
    No way I could burn that many calories with 20k steps...maybe 3000 and that would be a stretch for me at my height and weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Before I got it my calorie goal was 1,800 a day, everything was fine and dandy, a little hungry now and then but totally doable. Well I synced my fitbit up walked ~20,000 steps today at work and now this thing's telling me I have over 4,000 calories I can eat today and still be good, seems a bit much lol So should I just keep doing the 1,800 or what? I've tried looking for this problem on the forums and couldn't get an answer to a problem Similar to mine, so any help is appreciated.

it also adds in your BMR(what you burn by being alive) so that is probably why you have over 4000 calories. Im at 16000 steps and for my weight burned only 242 calories.(im 166lbs) I have burned a total of 2,453 calories,that includes my BMR. so the 4000 is not exercise calories alone. but yeah it does take awhile for it to get in sync with your body.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Back when I purchased a Garmin Vivosmart HR+ (competitor to FitBit), it did similar. I was seeing numbers that were so far out of whack that, if I followed them, I'd have been packing on the weight. After a few weeks, it settled in and became pretty close to reality.

For now, if you've been comfortable with your progress, ignore the calories on the fitbit, stick with your 1800, and work with that. Check in again in a few weeks, and see if things have gotten closer to your expectations. Once they seem realistic enough that you're not questioning it, work with what it provides.

Even then, though, don't eat back everything it says you can. You want to maintain a deficit to continue to lose weight, and the fitbit will be showing you your maintenance calories.

if they have it synced to mfp you are supposed to eat back some calories.with the fitbit some can eat back all their calories while others can only eat 25-50% so its all trial and error as its all an estimate anyway.MFP has your deficit built in without exercise. so you wouldnt have to go by fitbit,just by what mfp tells you you have left,or they can go by fitbit and not mfp. but I agree it all comes down to a deficit.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

it also adds in your BMR(what you burn by being alive) so that is probably why you have over 4000 calories. Im at 16000 steps and for my weight burned only 242 calories.(im 166lbs) I have burned a total of 2,453 calories,that includes my BMR. so the 4000 is not exercise calories alone. but yeah it does take awhile for it to get in sync with your body.

Good point. The 4,000 calories would be total burn for the day. And if FitBit doesn't think you're trying to lose weight, it'll be your total burn not your calorie goal. For me, 20,000 steps is about 3,000 calories but I'm 5'4 and 150 pounds. My husband is 6'1 and over 200 pounds. For him, it'd be over 4,000 calories. So, stats matter a lot.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wow...I'm really jealous of everyone's step count....sitting here between 10-15k daily :D
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Wow...I'm really jealous of everyone's step count....sitting here between 10-15k daily :D

for me today was a good day. most days I get 13,000 or less. most ever was 20,000+
  • bytheplanets
    bytheplanets Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I posted about this a few weeks ago. I get around 20,000 steps about 4 times a week (other days I'm around 12,000 or so).

Today, for example I am at 18,758 and my Fitbit says I've burned 3,031 cals. That sounds a little high to me! ( for info I am 39, female, 186 lbs and 5'9").

So generally I try not to trust the Fitbit, but when I am particularly hungry or struggling w/ eating well I admit that I do tend to trust it a little more
  • mugenmbx5t33
    mugenmbx5t33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yea, I just recently started the whole "Let's not be fat anymore." thing about a week ago, I'm a 24 year old guy,5'11 269lb, but the 1,800 is working fairly well so far, so I thinking that I'm just gana stick with that until this fitbit figures out what's going on lol
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    SarahFromWalthamForest Posts: 101 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I ignore my FitBit's calorie burn estimation (and most online exercise calculators) and calculate my calorie burn from my body-weight (161lbs) X by 0.3 (48.3) X by distance walked in miles.
    Example: (7 miles) 161 X 0.3 = 48.3 X 7 = 338.1.
    So the burn in the above example would be 338 calories.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    Yea, I just recently started the whole "Let's not be fat anymore." thing about a week ago, I'm a 24 year old guy,5'11 269lb, but the 1,800 is working fairly well so far, so I thinking that I'm just gana stick with that until this fitbit figures out what's going on lol

Based on your stats and at 20K steps a 4K caloric expenditure is beyond likely. In fact, based on your 20K steps scooby has your TDEE in the 4200 range.

As such and even with the 25% "extreme" deficit which is reserved for people 'in the red' like you currently are (http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/result.html?unit=1&hf=5&hi=11&wl=269&us=0&ua=24&gl=), you should be eating in the over 3K calorie range to lose ~8.5lbs a month.

In other words you're currently over-doing things... which is not uncommon among people starting out.

So don't be shy to try and bring things in balance.

You do want to have a deficit. One that is manageable and produces good results over time. Not one that is so large that it saps your energy and makes you unable to function. Or makes weight loss so miserable that you give up in h(a)nger the first time something doesn't go according to plan.

BTW, since you have a Fitbit account, connect www.trendweight.com via integration and use that to determine your weight level over time.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    SarahFromWalthamForest Posts: 101 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I ignore my FitBit's calorie burn estimation (and most online exercise calculators) and calculate my calorie burn from my body-weight (161lbs) X by 0.3 (48.3) X by distance walked in miles.

so you ignore your height, age, speed and incline of walking and you're more accurate than your Fitbit which has access to some of this information and proxy access to the rest of it via your heart rate...

It has said 5000 calories on a day I walked 16 miles, and about 3000-4000 on the other days that week, I lost 1lb that week, and I don't eat back exercise calories.
    If I had eaten some of those exercise calories, I would have gained weight.

The calculation that I use, I found found online and it matches up more accurately (than other calorie burn calculators) with how I lose weight.

Most if not all calorie burn calculators greatly overestimate calories burned, which is why a lot of people here on MFP advise only to eat back 25-50% of exercise calories...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

so you ignore your height, age, speed and incline of walking and you're more accurate than your Fitbit which has access to some of this information and proxy access to the rest of it via your heart rate...

It has said 5000 calories on a day I walked 16 miles, and about 3000-4000 on the other days that week, I lost 1lb that week, and I don't eat back exercise calories.

The calculation that I use, I found found online and it matches up more accurately (than other calorie burn calculators) with how I lose weight.

And you took into account your water weight variations that week? And your food intake logging was spot on too?

So, by guessing on an activity level for yourself and adding your walking based on an equation of distance x weight you are consistently achieving a more correct calculation than a gadget that starts with the same base equation as MFP (both use the same BMR formula), then assigns 1x BMR to any 5 minute interval in which there was no movement sensed, and goes on to calculate your daily caloric expenditure based on your movement averaged in 5 minute increments.

And you're aware, of course, that Fitbit's total is a TDEE total, not an exercise total. And that the "exercise adjustment" is not really the value of any particular exercise, but is an accounting reconciliation between what MFP estimated your TDEE to be based on your inputs and what Fitbit (or other gadget) measured your TDEE to be over the course of the day.

OK. Glad it works for you.

My Fitbit's TDEE is predictably off by 5.5% over the course of the past 2 years. This has allowed me to aim for and achieve a 150 Cal deficit when i wanted to...
    Most if not all calorie burn calculators greatly overestimate calories burned, which is why a lot of people here on MFP advise only to eat back 25-50% of exercise calories...

I would advise the 25% people to log their caloric intake more accurately or to stop imagining their exercise.

Most exercise calculations use the MET tables published in the compendium of physical activities. Most do not account for the base level of activity you've already told MFP you're performing, so they are "off" by 1.25x to 1.8x BMR depending on the level of activity you're setup on on MFP.

This means that for a moderate 3.4MET activity, you should only be adding BMR x 2 calories for someone who is setup as lightly active (which on MFP is BMR x 1.4). But it doesn't mean that eat 50% of your calories makes sense for someone who was engaged in a 10 MET activity! Of course someone who was engaged in a 10 MET activity for an hour... but only performed at that level for 35 minutes... see, that's where the gadgets come in and measure for you!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

If I had eaten some of those exercise calories, I would have gained weight.

That's not true. Weight loss isn't linear. What you lose in a week doesn't reflect how much of a deficit you have... you need weeks of data for that. Or you're eating more than you think and that's why you're not losing as fast. Either way, not eating calories back if you walk 16 miles (or walk a lot daily) is completely unhealthy in the first place (unless obviously you're eating them back by not weighing your food or not logging properly).

OP, 1800 seems way too low for you. I'm a 39yo female, 5'5", 140 lbs, and I often burn 2500 a day just walking 22000 steps. My fit/tall friend regularly burns 4000 calories with 15k steps, just by being active all day (and he eats a lot of high calorie foods, so it doesn't even sound insane to me). We both have fitbits, I've had mine since Christmas and it seems pretty accurate.

You don't have to eat ALL the food, but using scooby and eating at a 20% deficit sounds healthier than just eating 1800 (assuming of course that you're logging accurately in the first place).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I posted about this a few weeks ago. I get around 20,000 steps about 4 times a week (other days I'm around 12,000 or so).

Today, for example I am at 18,758 and my Fitbit says I've burned 3,031 cals. That sounds a little high to me! ( for info I am 39, female, 186 lbs and 5'9").

So generally I try not to trust the Fitbit, but when I am particularly hungry or struggling w/ eating well I admit that I do tend to trust it a little more

That doesn't sound too high to me for that activity level and your stats. I'm 5'2 and 118 and my total cals burned from FitBit are between 2200-2400, I average 15-18k steps/day.

I trusted it while losing the last 20 lbs and trust it now in maintenance, eating back all my cals over the course of a week. Have never had any challenges with losing or maintaining with this approach.