One week in, high deficit, no weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Tq43
    Tq43 Posts: 85 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Are you drinking 2-3 litres of water a day?. That might curb the hunger and help flush out toxins etc .
    Can you get a bit more active?. Im no expert but I think exercise combined with the diet may speed things up a bit.
    Have you had your thyroid levels checked ? An underactive makes it more difficult ( not impossible ) to lose weight as it slows your metabolism down.
    Good luck , don't give up , you did it before so you can do it again.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    pawel3535 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm not too worried about my weight loss right now as I have just started so my answer can be as simple as water fluctuations however I'm a little confused as to why no weight has come off with the deficit that I'm at.

I have my app set to losing 1kg per week and usually end the day with about 600 calories left before the daily deficit goal (I don't starve my self, have plenty of energy from the food I eat) however if I did the maths correctly, I created a deficit of about 8500-9000 calories in the last seven days with my weight still being in the same spot or like .1kg lower.

Is this something that is regular for beginners?

Oh and in case your wondering how I'm getting this high of a deficit in (if it is high, I'm not too sure really), I'm currently at 146kg so I can comfortably cut my intake by up to 1500-2000 calories and still feel good.

Thanks guys

It can take awhile for some people to see much of a loss. If you do not see a loss in 3-4 weeks make adjustments.
    If you have started new exercise you could be retaining water. There are other things that can cause water retention.
    I would just keep on with what you are doing for a couple of weeks.

First thing to look at if you ars not losing would be the accuracy of your logging. Use a food scale instead of measuring cups and spoons. Make sure you log everything and that the entries you choose are correct.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I have bounced around 2-3lbs over what my weight was before starting some lifting exercise 2 was ago that is new for me so if you started exercising it definitely could mask any loss with water retained for muscle repairs:^)
  • pawel3535
    pawel3535 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Would you be willing to open your food journal?

How are you determining portion sizes. Are you using a food scale? Do you log as you eat or do you wait until the end of the day and try to remember? Are you logging every single day?

I scale all the foods that I eat and cook from home, sometimes I log as I eat other times I log at the end of the day however my meals are planned out so it's easy to remember
  • pawel3535
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    How many calories does MFP allow you to have each day? How many calories are you actually eating each day?
    Allows 2000 per day for a 1kg per week loss, I usually end up with about 400-600 calories left and lots of energy at the end of the day
  • pawel3535
    Options

Tq43 wrote: »
    Are you drinking 2-3 litres of water a day?. That might curb the hunger and help flush out toxins etc .
    Can you get a bit more active?. Im no expert but I think exercise combined with the diet may speed things up a bit.
    Have you had your thyroid levels checked ? An underactive makes it more difficult ( not impossible ) to lose weight as it slows your metabolism down.
    Good luck , don't give up , you did it before so you can do it again.

I'm usually at 2.5 litres per day, I had a rather large blood test a month ago that checked me out for a lot of stuff including diabetes and my thyroid levels...sadly (in this case when it comes to thyroids), everything is as it should be in a healthy person.
  • pawel3535
    Options
    Little update, I've created a 17000 calorie deficit since first writing this post.
    Sadly still no lost weight however I'll give it another week or two for the 3 week/ 1 month mark and I'll see whether I start burning through.
    After that I'll start doing what I did last year to first lose weight (run my *kitten* off on a treadmill for 6 days per week).

17000. ....thats burning 2500 calories a day after you take your food into account.....are you eating at all?

I can confirm that I'm not starving my self and always have the energy to go to the gym or continue on doing other stuff after work
  • pawel3535
    Options
    Little update, I've created a 17000 calorie deficit since first writing this post.
    Sadly still no lost weight however I'll give it another week or two for the 3 week/ 1 month mark and I'll see whether I start burning through.
    After that I'll start doing what I did last year to first lose weight (run my *kitten* off on a treadmill for 6 days per week).

17000. ....thats burning 2500 calories a day after you take your food into account.....are you eating at all?

I did have a few days recently where I didn't eat much because of incredibly busy days which probably contributed to like 3000 of those calories however even then I didn't feel out of energy or hungry.
  • pawel3535
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Would you be willing to open your food journal?

How are you determining portion sizes. Are you using a food scale? Do you log as you eat or do you wait until the end of the day and try to remember? Are you logging every single day?

Just opened the diary, you'll find that some days I've allowed my self a sub or some wedges but I keep it within all my daily macro goals.
    Some days won't have anything other than breakfast put in simply because I was very busy however I've still been eating the stuff I logged previously on those days
  • seantnash
    seantnash Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I can confirm that I'm not starving my self ....

Wrong you are starving yourself if what you are saying is true.

But then, you aren't logging everything so nobody will actually be able to help you properly without full information.

Once you're tracking honestly, and fully, and not hours and hours after eating it, you will be able to get some help.

You've already had tests done so there is nothing medically wrong so that can only lead me to conclude that you're eating way more than you're tracking and / or doing way less activity than you think. Study after study after study has proven people consistently underestimate what they eat and overestimate how active they are.
  • pawel3535
    Options
    seantnash wrote: »

But then, you aren't logging everything so nobody will actually be able to help you properly without full information.

Once you're tracking honestly, and fully, and not hours and hours after eating it, you will be able to get some help.

You've already had tests done so there is nothing medically wrong so that can only lead me to conclude that you're eating way more than you're tracking and / or doing way less activity than you think. Study after study after study has proven people consistently underestimate what they eat and overestimate how active they are.

So if on one day I eat something and count all the calories through out the day and then the next have the exact same thing(same portions) I'm magically eating way too much?

• pawel3535
    Options
    A little update for everyone, just weighted in after what I thought to be a great bowel movement and logged my weight to see a 2.5kg loss since the 28th of April.
  • pawel3535
    Options
    seantnash wrote: »

And as far as overestimating active and underestimating eating, my activity level is set to the lowest on MFP (which on most days is accurate). And to answer the 'underestimated eating': my previous journey to losing weight (that I did last year) didn't involve apps like MFP to track what I was eating and by just eyeing stuff out, I lost a total of 15-20kg.

I hope you aren't seeing my response as some sort of hostile argument towards you, I just wanted to clear some things up.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'm usually at 2.5 litres per day, I had a rather large blood test a month ago that checked me out for a lot of stuff including diabetes and my thyroid levels...sadly (in this case when it comes to thyroids), everything is as it should be in a healthy person.

As someone with hypothyroidism I can tell you it is a good thing you don't have thyroid problems. Euthyroid (normal thyroid function) overweight or obese people seem to hope that this is their answer and it will be easy, just pop a pill and the weight comes off but reality is, its not. When hypo you have to work even harder to lose the weight you've gained even when properly medicated and that is not even talking about all the other associated problems.

I'm glad you started losing now just keep doing what you are doing. If you get a stall/plateau just tighten up the logging and I'm sure you will reach your goal.
  • pawel3535
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »

As someone with hypothyroidism I can tell you it is a good thing you don't have thyroid problems. Euthyroid (normal thyroid function) overweight or obese people seem to hope that this is their answer and it will be easy, just pop a pill and the weight comes off but reality is, its not. When hypo you have to work even harder to lose the weight you've gained even when properly medicated and that is not even talking about all the other associated problems.

I'm glad you started losing now just keep doing what you are doing. If you get a stall/plateau just tighten up the logging and I'm sure you will reach your goal.

Thank you for that information! A part of me was hoping that I had the issue when I first rapidly gained the weight back from my first journey as I didn't want to believe how badly some of my issues let me go on the diet but I'm back on the grind and planning to stay.

I'm changing jobs because it has been stressing me out a lot, that caused me to slack off on the gym part of losing weight. Once I leave (in two weeks) I'll have more time to dedicate to my own body and you'll see me updating you guys as a shred through my weight