Breastfeeding mom

Options
Hi, I'm a breastfeeding mom. I'm looking to lose fat and tone up. Im having trouble with what foods to eat to help me lose yet still provide great and enough nutrient milk for my little. Any suggestion?

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    How old is baby?

Its suggested to eat at maintenance and log breastfeeding as a food option for a calorie adjustment but how much would depend on age of baby, if they are exclusively breastfed or are eating solids too

• jtomaszewski81
    jtomaszewski81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I honestly just gave up until I was done breastfeeding. It seemed like when I'd start to decrease calories, my milk would be impacted. Then he'd be upset. It wasn't worth both of us being miserable.

I just let the lbs pack on for a few months, as we started to wean. But they're coming off now that I'm done. Good luck :)
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Sierra0986 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a breastfeeding mom. I'm looking to lose fat and tone up. Im having trouble with what foods to eat to help me lose yet still provide great and enough nutrient milk for my little. Any suggestion?

The general rule is to eat an extra 500 calories a day if baby has not started solids yet. When I was EBF I was eating 2300 calories a day, losing .5 lbs a week and was really only 10 lbs from goal weight. Strength and resistance training are going to help you lose weight and "tone up". I don't know what you have access to, or time for, but if you can go to the gym, then go. If not, dumbell exercises at home, resistance bands, youtube videos (30 day shed level 1&2 are there), exercises squatting with baby etc will all help.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    My 6 month old nurses like a newborn still. I allow 400 calories for nursing and eat at maintenance. I exercise lightly every day and have seen no impact on my milk supply. I'm losing between 0.75 and 1.5 pounds weekly.
  • amanduhh828
    amanduhh828 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Following, also a nursing momma
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    My baby is 15 1/2 months (12 months corrected) so i dont give breastfeeding calories as he only feeds a few times a day currently

I eat around 1800 calories, walk or hike with him on my back every day and lose around 2lb a week (ive very overweight as i gained 4 stone AFTER birth)
  • Sierra0986
    Sierra0986 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Baby is 8 months old still mostly nurses but is also on baby food. I started doing cardio first thing in the AM. And eating clean cut junk completely.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Sierra0986 wrote: »
    Baby is 8 months old still mostly nurses but is also on baby food. I started doing cardio first thing in the AM. And eating clean cut junk completely.

Eating clean or eating junk food doesn't really matter when it comes to losing weight, it's about calories. However, eating "clean" nutrient dense food is better for you and baby, don't deprive yourself of a piece of cake or a cookie once in a while.