Eat back what I've exercised

Options
Hi I've a little question... I'm very active and do a lot of running plus classes... I was wondering do I eat back the calories I've burnt through exercise... I want to lose 10lbs .., Thankyou very much

Replies

• SciWhiz
    SciWhiz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I generally eat back some of the calories I burn through exercise, but not all. If you find yourself completely starving don't deny yourself those calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jayne100 wrote: »
    Hi I've a little question... I'm very active and do a lot of running plus classes... I was wondering do I eat back the calories I've burnt through exercise... I want to lose 10lbs .., Thankyou very much

If you got your calorie goal from MFP - yes. That's how the program is designed. MFP didn't include exercise up front.

However, calorie burns are guesstimates. Many people here start by eating back a % - say 50%. Then after several weeks, you can adjust that % up or down based on actual results.

If your workouts are consistent consider using a TDEE calculator which includes exercise, then take a cut for weight loss. That will average out your exercise calories.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes you should eat them back - that's how this site is designed. Your calorie goal is nnnn + exercise calories.
    You are going to have to account for your exercise when you get to goal weight so might as well learn the skill now.

The "very active" part should be reflected in your activity setting.

Running is pretty easy to get a reliable estimate for calorie burned, classes are going to be more of a wild guess.
  • pegdale21
    pegdale21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered this myself. And of course myfitnesspal gives you the calories to eat. But I had always thought it was smarter to only eat back half of what you burn (per a nutritionist)
  • sspicer0404
    sspicer0404 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    But how is this affecting everyone's weight loss when you do or do not eat back your calories after exercise?