Burned Calories

Options
Can someone tell me why it's recommended to eat the extra calories that we burn through exercise? It seems like it would defeat the purpose of exercising....

Replies

• TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't and never have. My starting weight was 350, my highest weight 369
    Current weight 220
    Goal weight 150
    Many people have different ideal as to yes you should no you don't , Just do what is best for your body, No one knows what is best for you but you. You will have the final say.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    because your body needs to energy. At least if you have barely any fat on your body. I usually burn around 800 calories a day, and if I did not eat them back, then I would only be netting around 600 calories a day, which is basically starving myself. I am set to eat 1400 a day based on if I just sat on the couch all day, so when I run 8 miles and burn 800 calories, I need to eat back at least 500 to in order to feel like i'm not dying, but that may also be because I am already so small, so I'm sure it is different for everyone. It depends on how much you workout and many other factors. Find out what works best for you..
  • aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been dipping into them if I am truly hungry. I am with you though. It seems counter productive.
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When you are on a modified calorie diet you are already creating a deficit in your daily calorie needs because your body burns calories just doing normal everyday things. If you burn additional calories on top of the deficit you are already creating you run the risk of too few net calories for the day and run the risk of your metabolism actually slowing down causing you to not lose weight. I think the absolute minimum number of net calories for a woman without going into starvation mode is 1200 and 1500 for a man. As long as you are staying above that, you should be okay. Hope that answers your question.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me why it's recommended to eat the extra calories that we burn through exercise? It seems like it would defeat the purpose of exercising....

Because this site, unlike any other out there, is designed for you to lose weight without exercise. When you do exercise you need to replace that spent fuel (calories).

The reasons for exercise go WAY beyond "weight loss".
  • sjf1218
    sjf1218 Posts: 14
    Options
    When you are on a modified calorie diet you are already creating a deficit in your daily calorie needs because your body burns calories just doing normal everyday things. If you burn additional calories on top of the deficit you are already creating you run the risk of too few net calories for the day and run the risk of your metabolism actually slowing down causing you to not lose weight. I think the absolute minimum number of net calories for a woman without going into starvation mode is 1200 and 1500 for a man. As long as you are staying above that, you should be okay. Hope that answers your question.
  • sjf1218
    Options
    Yes it does...thank you !!
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 lbs letting my body be the judge. If working out results in me being hungry, I eat back some of the calories in protein or fiber. Your body WILL tell you what it needs. Will YOU listen to it? One of the biggest advantages to exercise, even when we eat back some of the calories is that it increases our metabolism allowing us to burn more fat even when just walking through our day. We also burn fat but build back muscle. The result......a much leaner, more fit appearance. If you listen to your body, it will guide you.
  • Csdehoyos
    Csdehoyos Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! That makes complete sense!!
  • sjf1218
    Options
    I've lost 70 lbs letting my body be the judge. If working out results in me being hungry, I eat back some of the calories in protein or fiber. Your body WILL tell you what it needs. Will YOU listen to it? One of the biggest advantages to exercise, even when we eat back some of the calories is that it increases our metabolism allowing us to burn more fat even when just walking through our day. We also burn fat but build back muscle. The result......a much leaner, more fit appearance. If you listen to your body, it will guide you.
  • sjf1218
    Options
    Great....thanks for sharing.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Individual results will vary. I always make sure to NET 1200-1300 calories a day, I've been here a year and have never had a plateau and I'm down 69lbs (averages out to like 1.3lbs a week or so).

I'm also a nursing student and the more I REALLY learn about how the body works on a microscopic level the more I believe in eating back calories. Our bodies need GOOD fuel to continue building muscle and reducing fat. When you lose weight there's no way around the fact that you lose some muscle so you need to be building MORE muscle up so that you are losing (and likely gaining) muscle mass, it makes you healthier, look better, lose weight faster actually.

So it IS a highly contested topic and you'll find threads all over about it but for myself I watch that NET number more than anything else. As a future medical professional I want to lose weight in a healthy long term sustainable way, and a way that makes my body not just thinner but HEALTHIER!
  • MelissaJ20
    MelissaJ20 Posts: 46
    Options
    You already have a deficit built in...if you exercise and burn 500 calories and you eat 1,200 calories per day, that leaves you with 700 total. That is not enough to live. ***This is what I have read...I am not an expert.***
  • sjf1218
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses, they are very helpful. I think I will eat enough of the extra calories to keep my intake at 1200 or just a little higher.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Any chance you know how many calories a nursing mom should eat for proper lactation? And how many net?