Severe binge eaters .. How did you do it?

Options

Replies

• karenzehob
    karenzehob Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    LisaTcan wrote: »
    I can empathize, I was bulimic for 10 years. Now I am heathy and happy and reasonably fit (had a baby this year). What worked for me was -
    • Prozac
    • Therapy (I saw both a dietician and a licensed social worker)
    • Giving up dieting for several years
    • Finding an physical activities I really loved so exercise felt fun and not like punishment. For me road cycling.
    • Letting go of the all or nothing / good food bad good mentality

I agree with this. I hate to give credit to a medication but since I started Prozac almost two months ago I have not binged or even wanted to binge, once. I also started an exercise program (Insanity) and the endorphins released during it seem to really help. I haven't deprived myself of any food. I eat what I want as long as it fits in my calorie goal and I don't freak out if I go a little over. Having a different type of control (sticking to a workout and keeping track of my food) has significantly helped.
  • raspberriliana
    raspberriliana Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    • Go back to your normal calorie intake the day after you binge (I would not eat ANYTHING they day after. Not a good idea.) Seriously. This is the best advice I could give, don't try to "fix" it.
    • If you're in a deficit, maybe go to your maintenance calories for a couple of months. When you decide to cut back on calories, EAT ENOUGH, don't starve yourself, undereating is usually the reason people develop BED.
    • Stop labeling food as "good" or "bad". Food is not evil. You are not evil for eating a certain type of food.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Will power, determination. Etc. I'm not cured. I've had a few recent episodes I'm not proud of, but I find... just sticking with a calorie plan, logging all my calories and most of all, keeping busy in a structured routine, help significantly.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I was a patient with Julie Friedman, PhD she is really good.

https://www.eatingrecoverycenter.com/blog/2016/03/01/7-myths-of-binge-eating-disorder-dr-julie-friedman

I'm still struggling with mental health issues and weight issues but I've only had two or three binges in the last year and a half. I'm now looking to lose the weight and continue working on what I learned with her.
  • jla2425
    jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sara2652 wrote: »
    I was a patient with Julie Friedman, PhD she is really good.

https://www.eatingrecoverycenter.com/blog/2016/03/01/7-myths-of-binge-eating-disorder-dr-julie-friedman

I'm still struggling with mental health issues and weight issues but I've only had two or three binges in the last year and a half. I'm now looking to lose the weight and continue working on what I learned with her.

She sounds amazing
  • jla2425
    jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    karenzehob wrote: »
    LisaTcan wrote: »
    I can empathize, I was bulimic for 10 years. Now I am heathy and happy and reasonably fit (had a baby this year). What worked for me was -
    • Prozac
    • Therapy (I saw both a dietician and a licensed social worker)
    • Giving up dieting for several years
    • Finding an physical activities I really loved so exercise felt fun and not like punishment. For me road cycling.
    • Letting go of the all or nothing / good food bad good mentality

I agree with this. I hate to give credit to a medication but since I started Prozac almost two months ago I have not binged or even wanted to binge, once. I also started an exercise program (Insanity) and the endorphins released during it seem to really help. I haven't deprived myself of any food. I eat what I want as long as it fits in my calorie goal and I don't freak out if I go a little over. Having a different type of control (sticking to a workout and keeping track of my food) has significantly helped.

Personally my mother has taken prozac her whole life and ive seen her come off of it and she gets really depressed. Medication is hopefully my last resort but if i cant i will go to the doctor and get help because i do get extremely depressed and anxiety about my bod image and dieting doesnt work for me. Calorie restriction doesnt work either
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I had to see counseling before I saw any type of improvement. I still binge occasionally but much less than I used to. I actually did it today and hadn't in about 2 months ☹️
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Quite a few of us on here, I have struggled with Bulimia or other Eating Disorders off and on since the mid 80's. Prozac has really helped me. What also has helped: no more weighing, no restricting, no dieting. I switched to a vegetarian diet in 2013 and exercise faithfully. And its been the best years of my life.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I did this for 20 years. I'd start over dieting every Monday. I'd last a day, a week, a month. Low fat calorie restricted diet but could never deal with the feeling of deprivation, of being just off the edge of hunger, but never full or satisfied. In between these spates of dieting I would eat huge bought lunch at work (pasta or indian or even a gourmet roll) easily 1000 to 1500 calories. Often on the way home (4:30pm) I'd call through the Maccas drivethrough and buy 2 burgers (yes 2) and eat them in the car - hiding the evidence under the seat to get rid of later, and then go home and cook dinner, eat that, and another big "snack" at about 8-9pm. I'd go down to the petrol station after dinner telling my husband I needed to get petrol, and stuff a chocolate bar in on the way home. Absolutely disgusting behaviour, and something I thought I'd never be able to stop. My spates of dieting in between were probably the only reason I didn't balloon past 120kg (at 5'10"). Still, I hated myself.

What saved me was a pre-diabetes diagnosis, and the death of my dad from diabetes. That, and low carb. And before you all yell at me that you don't need to eat low carb to lose weight, I know that. BUT ... low carb allowed me to finally be free of that gnawing hunger. After 20 years of yoyo dieting I have been "clean and sober" (binge free) for over 4 years. Most of that time was at Keto levels, but the last 3 months I've increased my carbs to 50 - 70g a day, but nothing bread, pasta, potato, rice or sugary. I've reversed my pre-diabetes diagnosis and lost 90lbs. I THINK my binging days are over. And they are, unless I go back to eating the kind of high carb diet I ate before.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    BUT ... low carb allowed me to finally be free of that gnawing hunger. After 20 years of yoyo dieting I have been "clean and sober" (binge free) for over 4 years. Most of that time was at Keto levels, but the last 3 months I've increased my carbs to 50 - 70g a day, but nothing bread, pasta, potato, rice or sugary.

Flour/sugar/simple carbs are the devil for me too. Managing my hunger is usually just fine as long as I'm not eating any simple carbs. Peas, string beans, most fruit, to an extent oatmeal, potatoes, or corn in moderation, and I'm fine. But give me just one spoon full of something sugary or just one slice of white bread and I transform into the Mr. Hyde of hunger. I think it's that way for a lot of us.... anything that spikes my blood sugar too fast is like opening the flood gate.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,206 Member
    Options
    I am also a binge eater, so I understand all so well what you mean.
    I just recently started reading the book by Judith Beck, called the Beck Diet Solution. I am only on day 5, but it has helped me so much. It is more about Cognitive Behavior therapy - to help me to think like a thin person.

I have a thread that I started called (Just for Today - daily commitment thread), and I have been posting each days tasks on that thread, if you want to follow it also.

The first day, I had to write all the reasons I want to lose weight, and read these reasons four times a day - every day. Yesterdays task was to sit everytime I eat, and tomorrows task is to put my fork down with each meal.
    I am hoping that this will change how I eat.

But just a week ago, I was where I was buying a box of cookies at the grocery store, only to have them gone by the time I got home. I knew I was back losing control, and I am hoping this will help.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    * I learned to address the anxiety, anger, or whatever negative emotion was causing the behavior.
    * Replacement behaviors to binging (go for a walk instead of the kitchen).
    * Patience with behaviors, not expecting to change completely overnight.
    * Avoid overreacting to binges - oddly once the behavior is accepted (not condoned, just forgiven) it doesn't have as much power.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am in a much better place than I was in the past, but still have issues at times. I think finding trigger foods is a huge step to helping stop binging.
  • rachmarch1980
    rachmarch1980 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for sharing. I am also on this journey now. I have been struggling for a while now Ive gone from not eating in younger years and woefully thin to now being 20kg overweight. Its a struggle each and every day. Not thinking about whats going in my mouth, giving myself permission to each *kitten* cause I feel *kitten*, and to point of not caring what I eat.

There are so many great strategies here. One step at a time is all you or anyone can do.

Good luck on your journey
  • Desalinadokaz
    Desalinadokaz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten in secret but I am obsessed with food and thinking about my next meal. I've just posted in another thread about how I think I will always need to track my food.

For me, the key thing was making the decision that I really wanted things to change. Sure I'd 'start over' every Monday but I never did it with any great commitment or seriousness.

I hated the way I looked though, had high blood pressure and used to drag myself around in the summer. Stereotypical, fat, sweaty girl in the summer. Oh and chaffing, never being able to wear skirts because my thighs rubbed together.

So there was that and then I realised that if I didn't change the way I lived I would have serious implications on my health. I had so much more I wanted to achieve and do with my life.

I started experimenting with food I did like, tried to make it low calorie so I could eat a lot more of it. In the beginning I was never on target for my calories but I was making small changes, changing up really calorific crisps for lower fat versions (popchips and pombears have been my saviour!), trying to make lower calorie versions of my takeaway food.

Before I realised it, my tastes started to change and I realised I hated that feeling of always being stuffed to the point of hurting.

It is lots of small steps that lead to a big change.

Sadly, last year I was diagnosed with diabetes so my changes came a bit late but I'm happier now I've made those changes.

In the beginning I had a section in my diary for 'binges' because it did still happen but that has happened less and less. I've had to come to terms with the fact that it is a lifestyle change and not a diet. I can't deprive myself of certain foods, I just have to moderate what I eat and incorporate those unhealthy things into my new lifestyle.

Exercise helps too but you have to be careful not to binge afterwards because I find that exercise makes me really hungry.

You also need to be aware of the attitudes of the people around you and factor that in too. I had friends that I would go out to eat with and they would comment on my lack of dessert, the fact I was eating a salad, drinking water instead of a fizzy coke. Often they would try to tempt me and it is hard going but it's worth making those changes.

'One step at a time' was my mantra and I tried to remember that even when I was having a bad day.

Good luck xx
  • lucyhross
    lucyhross Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've had BED since 16 (now 20), it's been a roller-coaster ride of a recovery but I think I'm pretty confident in saying I'm over it! I read a ton of books and saw various people (I'm at uni so didn't have the money to pay for a professional) so a lot of it was self-help, which where I see it was better for me because at the end of the day only I could change/ help myself! Ive established a far better relationship with food, currently 176lbs and now starting on my weight loss journey with a positive mindset, looking to lose 39lbs but with no timescale! Always happy to help so feel free to PM/ add me :) you can do it!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I just found a blog that seems incredibly helpful. Good luck all.
    http://www.aliceboyes.com/cbt-technique-binge-eating-example/
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that a lifetime of restrictive eating (first diet began at age 10) is what always led me to spiral into binges. I have a very "all or nothing" mindset in everything I do, so when I am doing good, I am doing great, but when I go long enough (usually a couple of months is about my trigger point) without some of my favorites I decide one cheat meal turns into a cheat day, which can easily turn into a total undoing of all progress. The guilt and anger become depression which in turn leads to more eating to fill the emptiness. I get it, I really do. I had to give up all restrictive diets. I can not safely follow low carb, or all clean, or pretty much the cutting out entirely of any particular food because I will obsess about that one thing I cannot have. For me IIFYM has been a game changer. I know that if I want pizza tonight, I log it first thing in the morning and I eat the rest of the day around assuming those macros are already gone. It helps to not feel deprived, and to not feel ashamed. Emotions drive binging, it is not hunger. So, no matter what you first have to know what is going on in your head when the binges happen if you want to fix it.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Flour/sugar/simple carbs are the devil for me too. Managing my hunger is usually just fine as long as I'm not eating any simple carbs. Peas, string beans, most fruit, to an extent oatmeal, potatoes, or corn in moderation, and I'm fine. But give me just one spoon full of something sugary or just one slice of white bread and I transform into the Mr. Hyde of hunger. I think it's that way for a lot of us.... anything that spikes my blood sugar too fast is like opening the flood gate.

You just described every woman when she is on her period. :blush:

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Ditto here too with high carb. It's not the same for all people. But I'm a carb addict. Sad but true.