Severe binge eaters .. How did you do it?

Options
Looking for guidance and genuine advice from someone who knows what its like yo be so stuffed full but still eat. Someone who eats in secrecies and hides food. Someone who cant stop obsessing over there next meal when trying to eat calorie appropriate. I have been struggling for years. I am now up 30lbs in the last few months. Desperate for advice and help. Just quit doesnt work. So please no rude comments from people who dont understand.

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I typed a long response and my browser reloaded :#
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hypnosis. I use free videos on youtube. My favorite is the sleep hypnosis. You just put it on and go to sleep with it playing. Works really well for me
  • hello8642
    hello8642 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you been able to establish a pattern to your bingeing? Any particular times of day/ triggers/ food types? Do you still record it all when you do binge? Don't beat yourself up over it- we're all here to get healthier and happier.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people being able to control their binges with intermediate fasting where they eat very little calories one day and many calories the next day that way people that are volume eaters don't feel so restricted. They go by weekly goal calories instead of daily.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Things that might help when you're thinking of overeating might be things that will change your focus away from food.

Maybe drink 2 glasses of water when you think about over eating. That usually makes me feel refreshed, refocused, and reconsider whatever I might be about to do.

Create healthy Habits. Binge eating has probably become a habit, so maybe slowly create habits that don't involve binge eating that work for you.
  • LemonadeCandy_
    LemonadeCandy_ Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with my binge eating disorder. I haven't exactly found success yet, but there are groups on here for it to talk to other people who struggle with it.
  • cass_t80
    cass_t80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try to identify your food restrictions when you are not bingeing, are they the things you binge on? dont call it your 'diet' or 'healthy eating' because ultimatley what we crave is something we eliminate. Your body might need a little more of that - spread out strategically throughout the day, rather than one big feast at the end? For me it was animal fats, either as milk, butter or cream - once I stopped training due to injury - I couldnt get enough of those foods - I didnt think I was being restrictive at the time but really I was.

Its the mental game, of seeing those foods as ok in the right quantity, and at any time they fit your needs, if you really want something sweet / crunchy/ salty / creamy etc and excessivley or constantly delay the gratification then it will have the rubber band effect. Instead incorporate it with your next nutrition intake in a healthy proportion as a complete meal / snack of complex carb/ protein and healhy fat.

Ways to help 'eat until satisfied, not until full' : slow down, chew mindfully, use cutlery in your non dominant hand, or try chopsticks, turn off distractions, and pay attention to how much food you need to progress through your "hunger scale" (google this) portion out your serving size, "eating is finished" mantra - then get up go into another room or do something different, but most importantly ; stop often and Smile: Because eating should be a wholesome enjoyable experience, that we needent feel guilty about, even when its occasionally indulgent. Persistence not perfection. Good luck, for us all, as we are all on an imperfect journey to be a better version of ourselves, as joy to be shared with others.xo
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    I started distance running to deal with the calories from binge eating
  • amydriesbaugh
    amydriesbaugh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this most of my life. In the last year I finally found a health coach to assist me with this. First the focus was restructuring my food intake. We focused on me having quality food such as veggies, healthy fat and protein at every meal. This allows me to feel satisfied. The second biggest part of this is emotions. I have found when I go through situational personal issues whether it be depression, or stress is when I lose my ability to stay focus on eating well and eat from emotion which further leads to major binges. Lastly, the key for me is being prepared, and knowing my triggers. Just last week I made Brownies for Teachers appreciation Luncheon. never again, I ate a third of the pan. My intent was to only try one. I am a sugar addict and sugar craves sugar. I 100% agree with the research in sugar addiction as that is me no matter what frame of mind I am in.

I will continue to battle binges, but I feel more in control now because of what I mentioned above. If I am going through an emotional issue I try to schedule with my therapist, tap into my faith, immerse myself in inspirational quotes. Whatever it is that can help me.

I hope this helps you in someway. I remember for the last two years that I would search in the community forum to find information about binging and to feel relatable to someone.. At first i thought I just didn't have will power, but again once I started educating and taking care of myself I realized that there were many different factors at play.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would eat so much I would get sick. I would literally throw up from eating so much. Did that stop me? Of course not, I would just get back to eating. The groceries I bought on Sunday generally were gone by Wednesday. The more I bought, the more I ate. While at work all I would do is think about stopping off on the way home, getting a pizza, chips, Doritos and a 12 pack of beer so I could sit and watch a movie while I ate everything. I would sit and stare at the clock waiting for the time I could leave to get my food, get home, and eat. Everybody at the local convenience store knew me by name because I was in there pretty near everyday buying chips, beer, Mac & Cheese, whatever I was craving that day. When I tried to change my habits, I would cut out all of that food and I would do okay for a few weeks, and then something would happen, often some little thing in my life, that I would use as a reason to revert back to my prior habits. When size 40 inch pants were barely fitting, I actually had to leave them unbuttoned and then cover that up with my belt, I knew I had to do something. I focused on my exercising and my diet followed. When I had that craving to revert back to my old eating habits, I would think about how many calories I would consume, and how many hours exercising it would take to burn those calories. I still eat chips, nachos, and gluten free mac & cheese, along with the other foods I love, but now I eat one, or sometime two servings, max. Completely cutting out the foods I loved only made me crave them more, and now I see I was simply setting myself up for failure. What I do now is allow myself one or two servings while staying under my caloric intake goal. I also don't watch TV while I eat.
  • Kellyfatbelly1
    Kellyfatbelly1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started working out more and it helped with my cravings. I also hung up pictures of how I used to look by my fridge and threw out all of my sauces like ketchup and mayo ranch etc. you can be snacking on something healthy and those things just add so many calories without you even realizing it
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I make sure that I have snacks on hand like cheese & fruit. I try to log everything when I get the binge urge. I also try to drive to and from work on a route that had none of my stops. I also know that if I don't have something sweet I will obsess over it so I try to have little chocolates, and I try to limit myself to so many a day. This does not always work, but knowing there is an issue and trying is half the battle.
    Honestly being diagnosed with celiac has helped me a lot too, because a whole area of food out there is off limits, and when I think ... maybe I could have this (insert something a celiac can't have but is so good) I say to myself the after effects of pain, mood swings and diarrhea etc are just not worth it. The worst time for me is when my bf is away and I'm by myself, but I try and try and try.