Sleeping supplements

Options
13»

Replies

• pacurarnandrei
    pacurarnandrei Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been taking some form of zma for the past 4 years. In my experience - magnesium supllements help if you have a intelectualy challenging job and you also do heavy lifting in the gym.
    And sometimes i take a form of valerian extract - alcoholic tincture you take with water before bed.
    I dont think i've ever noticed problems with zma if taken after a meal (i usualy eat dinner after 9 at night)
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana in the evening, I read they have tryptophan them. I'm not sure if it's in my head but I feel like I sleep good if I've had a banana a couple hours before bed.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Many things help me sleep, but always wide awake 4 hours later, every single night. :( I end up with 3 hours a night.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Zzzquil is DIPHENHYDRAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE, which is what Benadryl is. Same ingredient, different brand name.

good to know
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You just have to try different things to see what works for you. It is a very frustrating problem and can be difficult to find a solution for. I am far more affected the next day by lack of sleep than I ever am by sleep aids. Good luck.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Here is my update. So my go to supplements for sleep is Melatonin (3mg), Magnesium citrate (200mg) and L-Theanine (225mg). I would only use Melatonin 2 nights per week, mainly on days where it's important for me to sleep early, I would take Magnesium citrate every day because I suspect that I am very low on that and I would take L-Theanine on nights where I don't use Melatonin. The result has been great. I rarely feel tired during the day and I've been sleeping for 8 hours on a daily basis now, so it has worked. My issue with sleep is gone :)

Great news!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Here is my update. So my go to supplements for sleep is Melatonin (3mg), Magnesium citrate (200mg) and L-Theanine (225mg). I would only use Melatonin 2 nights per week, mainly on days where it's important for me to sleep early, I would take Magnesium citrate every day because I suspect that I am very low on that and I would take L-Theanine on nights where I don't use Melatonin. The result has been great. I rarely feel tired during the day and I've been sleeping for 8 hours on a daily basis now, so it has worked. My issue with sleep is gone :)

Good stuff, I'm glad you found something that works for you! Not sleeping properly can have such a negative effect on your day.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Don't take melatonin if you're diabetic or prediabetic before consulting your doctor.