Less calorie food that fills

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, lean protein (meat/fish more than dairy).
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    naomillion wrote: »
    I just discovered Shirataki noodles (and pasta and rice) and am totally digging it!
    I enjoy them, too. They're handy when I want a quick and filling snack, but they don't have any calories. I like them with peanut powder and soy sauce, or I also sometimes make a creamy cheesy low calorie pasta dish with noodles, shredded cabbage and some Parmesan, Laughing Cow cheese and a little broth all mixed together. And they're really cheap at my local Asian grocery stores.

The secret to the noodles is to rinse very well, then dry fry them a few minutes before adding any sauces. The dry frying makes them go from completely repulsive to very tasty.

• nimarama
    nimarama Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is the king of high quantity, low calorie food.

I stuffed up on spinach and smoked salmon this morning.
    If you're a fan of cheese, parmesan on everything.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I love things like cabbage, steamed veggies paired with lean meat- Also stirfry veggies are great- can use lots of mushroom if don't prefer meat- lastly I love oatmeal with fruit soooo good and filling
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I found these Soleil yogurts in the supermarket last week. 60 calories for 150g tub. They came in a 6 pack and they're ideal for that mid afternoon or after dinner snack. I'm in Australia but I'm sure you guys have something similar in your country. Check the labels.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lean meat and veg.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The answer to your question might be found at this site: Very good information on what foods are filling:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor

They also list a Better Choices diet and compare nutrition and fullness.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the" Fills you up quickly at low calories" is a tie between bok choy and jicama. For taste, jicama wins as it is deceptively sweet. 100 grams of jicama is ridiculously low in calories and high in fiber. I bought one root, used it, and haven't bought another, but I was impressed.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I make a salad from shredded cabbage, half a cucumber, parsley. I add some salt, pepper and sugar, and lemon juice instead of the oil.

150 grams is only 35 calories.

With grilled or steam fish for protein it's a perfect light but very satisfying lunch.
  • ladylambeau
    ladylambeau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you like mushrooms, try roasted portabella caps. I slice and season them, and roast them in the oven. Pretty low calorie and they are very hearty and filling.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question might be found at this site: Very good information on what foods are filling:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor

They also list a Better Choices diet and compare nutrition and fullness.

I never understand studies like this. Apples and oranges make me ravenously hungry and they're usually considered to be more satiating foods. I think my body must be broken.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and chicken
  • deztiny1221
    deztiny1221 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Depends on how low calorie you are looking for but here are a few of my "go to" foods that seem to satisfy me most of the time (snacks/lunches)!

-Yoplait light and fit Greek yogurt
    -1 cup of fruit -strawberries/blue berries
    -2 slices of turkey, lettuce on josephs flax lavash bread (1/2) good for lunch- plus fruit
    -salsa and baked josephs flax lavash bread (1/2 wrap is 60 calories) - cut into sqares and bake - they are kind of like tortilla once baked
    -Josephs flax lavash bread (1/2) - baked with cinnamon and sugar - eaten with 1/2- 1 cup fruit
    -1/2 cup of strawberries with light cool whip or jello sugar free pudding
    -Steamed broccoli and carrots w/ baked skinless chicken breast
    -Baked skinless chicken breast, shredded and tossed in buffalo sauce (not hot wing sauce) wrapped up in a lettuce leaf with other veggies of your choice.
    -Laughing cow cheese w/ baked josephs flax lavash bread (1/2)
    -Smart pop- popcorn - single serving
    -Spaghetti squash topped with taco meat (ground turkey) and part skin mozz cheese
    -Cabbage - stir fried, added to salad, wraps etc - very low cal - 20 cals a cup I believe
    -Cauliflower crust pizza

Hope this helps! :)