Tired of being compaired to my sister and cousins

Options
Hello, Im new here and my goal is to lose weight and gain more self confidence in what i do. I am always tired of my mom, aunts, uncles, and other people always compairing myself to my sister and cousins. Just because they are a lot skinnier than me. So I decided to join this site to lose weight and have support. :smile:

Replies

• autiemommy
    autiemommy Posts: 238
    Options
    Were all here to support you. I have been compared to my sister and extended family. But guess what they are them and I am me. Just because we are blood our bodies are all different.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to get healthier! Just a friendly piece of advice, though - try to get in the mindset of doing this for YOU and no one else and you'll stick with it much better. :) It's hard not to compare yourself to others, but you are unique and can only compare yourself to you. :) Feel free to add me as a friend if you want some support. Good luck! You can do this!!
  • Ciarn
    Ciarn Posts: 92
    Options
    welcome to MFP :-) great to have you here
    feel free to friend
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome!
    It's great you're new at MFP. It's designed to help you get healthy and keep track of your caloric intake, water intake, and exercise.
    I joined in June 2011 with 100+ pounds to lose and I couldn't be happier that I made the choice to come here also.
    Friend me if you'd like a cheerleader in your corner.
    Sincerely,
    Monica :heart:
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    First, be proud of who you are. That's it. Theres no comparison. No 2 people are built the same. When I first started, I was 185 pounds and all my sister in laws are 105 to 120...I used to get disgusted being around them. You just have to realize you do this for you and you may never look like others, but why would you even want to. Focus on being the best you that you can be and that will take you all the way.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. This site is amazing. Add me if u want. Good luck
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    UGH I hear ya there! My family use to do that to me too when I was little until when I was in my teenage years. Now I don't care what they think! I'm me and they're them! If they don't like it well :tongue:
  • tracey2710
    tracey2710 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome and good luck :bigsmile:
    One thing though - do this for you not for them.
  • NicoleRN2013
    NicoleRN2013 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Congrats on your new adventure :happy: Remember, this is for you :). This is an amazing site and you'll love it here.
  • sararb319
    sararb319 Posts: 10
    Options
    I support you! I have a sister who was always thin and looks like Catherine Zeta-Jones. I used to have guys ask me, "What happened to YOU?" *kitten*! People can be cruel, but you have to be good to yourself! You are worth it! We are all made differently, with different metabolisms and such, so it isn't right to compare us to others! I am sure you will like MFP!! Good luck to you!! :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to get healthier! Just a friendly piece of advice, though - try to get in the mindset of doing this for YOU and no one else and you'll stick with it much better. :) It's hard not to compare yourself to others, but you are unique and can only compare yourself to you. :) Feel free to add me as a friend if you want some support. Good luck! You can do this!!

I agree. I was also in your situation and even worse because they do it not only on my body but also in other achievements, they only recognize the achievements of my bro/sis while me im nothing despite that im the eldest of all. but again we are all unique and no one else can ever put us down unless we allow them
  • freckles88
    freckles88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, my family don't necessarily compare me to others but my fiance's sisters are like super thin like size 8/10 and being a size 14/16 myself I feel huge standing next to them! I hate having to have my photo taken next to them as they are so slim and naturally pretty! They are both in their 30's too and have both had two children and are still thinner than me =(
  • Priscillaly
    Options
    Yes of course I am doing this for myself. It just gets annoying whenever I hear people compairing myself to my family. I just wanna prove them wrong and i wanna prove to myself that I can have discipline for myself and achieve my weight loss goal. Thanks everyone for the support :smile: I am 20 years old and I weigh 230 pounds...i will always remember what my dad told me "Priscilla you are too young, you need to lose weight. I want you to live longer, i dont want to be the one to bury you. You are the one who is supposed to bury me." That brought me to tears and I will try my hardest to get back into my original size. The hardest part is when you know you lost weight..but you always look in the mirror and see you haven't changed at all. :sad:
  • Teeteetare
    Teeteetare Posts: 50
    Options
    No one really compares me to my sister (out loud anyways) but I understand where you are coming from. My sister is very thin and I have always been bigger than her. You really need to try and do this for yourself. You are not alone this is an awesome community of people trying to lose weight and get in shape and be the best they can be. Use this site as a tool to help you. You can do this, just take it slow and easy.
    God Bless :o)
  • HulaChic
    HulaChic Posts: 47
    Options
    I have five sisters and two brothers ~ so comparisons were a natural thing in our house. What I did to combat that was to become my own personality and do things that built up my self confidence. Each person is an individual and your job is to make sure you do what is best for YOU ~ MFP being the beginning of your journey. There are a lot of wonderful people on here who freely give their support and great advice. Think positive and Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Britt59
    Britt59 Posts: 25
    Options
    you can do this its hard but you can do it, just take one day at a time loseing weight is all about mind set...you get that and things will take off for you, start eating healthy and making right choices, if you can do some form of exercise if its just walking ..start off with about 15 minutes turn around and go back then the next day go out 20 minutes turn around go back do this for a few weeks add just 5 minutes to your time until you can walk at least a couple miles or more it won't be long you will see & feel the difference you will get sore but if you keep going that sorness will go away and you will start to lose each week and you can't wait to get out there and hit the walking trail...this si what I did and I started out at 290 lbs...down to 231 and I don't want to miss a day walking I'n up to 4 miles a day and it sure helps curb my amptite and raises my metabolisum...it can happen for you too.
    I wish you the best & don't worry about what others say...this is your thing and you can prove to others that you too can be beautiful and healthy.