Weekend binges wiping out weekly deficit

Options
I'm having this problem where I keep bingeing on the weekends. My daily calorie deficit is only 250, so these weekend binges are not only wiping out my entire weekly deficit, they may even be putting me over my maintenance calories. Normally I would suggest to myself that I increase my daily calorie limit to reduce the feeling of deprivation and maybe stop the weekend binges, but with only a 250 calorie deficit, there's really no room for that. Other than avoiding all social situations revolving around food, I'm really not sure what to do. Would appreciate any advice/tips!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Exercise more on the weekends.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I gained three pounds in two days.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat unfortunately:(
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    dracaene wrote: »
    I'm having this problem where I keep bingeing on the weekends. My daily calorie deficit is only 250, so these weekend binges are not only wiping out my entire weekly deficit, they may even be putting me over my maintenance calories. Normally I would suggest to myself that I increase my daily calorie limit to reduce the feeling of deprivation and maybe stop the weekend binges, but with only a 250 calorie deficit, there's really no room for that. Other than avoiding all social situations revolving around food, I'm really not sure what to do. Would appreciate any advice/tips!

Maybe one day per week (Friday or Saturday) plan to eat at maintenance and eat all your exercise calories back. That way you get that mental feeling of "letting go" but you do it in a responsible way without ruining all the hard work you did during the week.
  • JennaLynnNagy
    JennaLynnNagy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Limit your daily total sugar intake (including fruit) to 50 grams or less, and also lower your daily carbs to 100 grams.. so at least your body won't store excess fat
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I usually skip breakfast on the weekends, because I'd rather use those calories later in the day. We usually wind up just having brunch and then a light dinner.

You can also go to social situations and eat less. Have a meal before you go, so you aren't hungry. If you're at a restaurant, order something that can be shared with others, or just have a low calorie drink. If you're at a party or event, offer to bring something that you'd like to eat. Or suggest to your friends that you all do something together that doesn't feature food.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Limit your daily total sugar intake (including fruit) to 50 grams or less, and also lower your daily carbs to 100 grams.. so at least your body won't store excess fat

I think I'm going to need an explanation for this one.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think that if you do enjoy going out every single weekend and binging, you need to live for the weekend I guess. Eat less during the week, and workout more where ever you can.

I'm not sure about your thought process for eating more during the week so you are less hungry, because you would also have to avoid all social situations that involve food because you wouldn't be as hungry, and you know not eating what everyone else is, just isn't fun, and requires you to stay home and Netflix and Chill with you hands.

Or another option, research where you are going to eat, and eat what fits your calories, and not care what you friends think about it.
  • dracaene
    dracaene Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far. I guess really what I'm in need of are some coping mechanisms to help me stay in control, when I'm faced with trigger foods (foods that I cannot seem to help over eating) like baked goods, or potato chips. I have very little trouble maintaining discipline throughout the week, but it seems like every weekend lately has been some sort of special occasion where I wind up surrounded by food that I would normally not keep in the house precisely because I KNOW I have trouble resisting it.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you really can't control yourself then I suggest you make a rule for yourself that you can't eat those things unless you're in a position where you can measure/weight them out and track them. Then, have a treat planned and waiting for when you get home. That way it's easier to say no to those things when you're out because you have something to look forward to later in the evening.
  • c_ward1983
    c_ward1983 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well the simple answer is to not binge on the weekend. If you must, then pair it to with a hard workout session. I don't binge on the weekend, for now I just don't track on the weekends. I'm usually much more active so it helps to offset any gains.