IBS nightmare

Options
Hi everyone. Every time I try to lose weight my IBS flares up, causing tummy pain, tiredness and a loss of motivation. I end up giving up because my symptoms disappear when I eat more food. I don't eat a very good nutritional diet when not trying to lose, as soon as I start eating healthy and less quantity it flares up, so annoying and I'm desperate to lose weight and get fitter. Need to lose about 40 pounds. Does anyone else have this problem or have overcome it. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I doubt it's less food that causes you issues, I'd say it's more like your food choices when you choose to lose weight.

Do you try to incorporate more vegies, and more fibre when trying to lose weight? Why not try to lose weight on similar foods you would normally eat that don't cause issues? Healthy food isn't food that causes you pain and discomfort, no matter what the general view of healthy is. (I can't eat too much broccoli, cabbage, Cauliflower or raw vegies etc as I get bloated and a hard stomach...)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Eat less of what you normally eat to lose weight.

Add in more healthy stuff slowly so you're not suddenly adding tonnes of fibre to your day.

This.

I find I have to be meticulous with fibre and fats. A little too much or not enough of both sends my IBS haywire. I incorporate BRAT foods into my daily diet with the protien and fats. Sometimes I have to eat just BRAT foods or take magnesium.

Don't change your diet too much to lose weight. Just eat less of the foods that you usually eat but pay attention to fibre fats and hydration. For me, I have to have a balance of carb, protien and fats (with fibre) at every meal.
  • unicornumame
    unicornumame Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Log your normal everyday diet for a few days. Then look at where you can cut back without changing. For e.g - do you drink something higher in calories that you could remove? Do you tend to eat a snack everyday that you could skip and still feel ok? Make a few small changes. Then if you want to also change your diet to incorporate better for you foods, do it with intention and slowly. And like Sarahthes said, track what causes flare ups.

I don't have IBS but I do have really sensitive digestion from ignoring Celiac disease for 17 years. I really can't do a ton of raw vegetables, but I can do veggies if they're steamed or lightly cooked in some way. It took a long time to figure this out.

Similarly I can't really eat fruit after I've had a lot of other food. So if I want to get the good nutrients from fresh fruit in, I need to have it with breakfast to avoid tummy aches.

Best of luck! Hard work, attention to yourself and the details of your diet and dedication will pay off.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think MFP can help. You don't need to radically change your diet to lose weight. As long as you stay in a deficit you will lose. If bulky carbs keep your system calm, then eat bulky carbs.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I have IBS and I get issues from eating non-healthy food at this point...like if I go out to dinner and have something oily or cheesy, that's when I spend the next day in the bathroom! Maybe it's just a "transition" you might need a few days to get used to? I do eat a lot of high fiber foods like fruits and veggies but do avoid anything with added fiber and sucralose and I think having less dairy also works to my advantage,
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I research IBD (not too familiar with IBS), but I would suggest staying away from sugar substitutes altogether, if you aren't already. They are in a lot of foods, too- low calorie yogurts & diet sodas (ok, pretty much almost anything that says "diet".) They can sometimes make you feel worse if you already have belly issues :-(
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As someone who has IBS Constipation, I went full LOW FODMAP diet last year. I worked with a dietitian but you can find a lot of great resources online, http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/ and http://www.katescarlata.com/lowfodmapdietchecklists/

The issue is most people with IBS have issues with fermentable carbs, like I cannot eat garlic, onions, fennel, many wheat products etc. Normally you would start this as an elimination diet and slowly add foods back in to see how it reacts to your body.
  • purplepadres
    purplepadres Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In my own personal experience, IBS can be triggered by a lot of things, including things that most people consider "healthy." Raw veggies, nuts & seeds all cause flares for me, as well as dairy. I had to do a lot of experimentation to see what worked for me. These items may not cause flares in others, so you have to find what works best for you.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I found exercising helped (so I could eat more too but it also relieved some symptoms) I also have a thing that if I leave too large a gap between lunch and my evening meal I get pain so need a snack around 4pm. I also discovered specific triggers, very annoyingly bananas (which are great), sticky thai rice, pre prepared pasta salad or any ready meal style pasta, (but making my own pasta from dry or fresh is fine) coffee, and if I have a really veg packed meal like veg curry (although I still haven't identified specific culprits) I also should probably knock other caffeinated drinks on the head like black tea and diet coke but I'm an idiot and don't take my own advice.

If you have foods that don't set you off though just eat those but less of them and log them, but my number one piece of advice is exercise if you can, even if its just walking, it both relieves symptoms and banks you some calories, also keep a food diary and see if you can find trigger patterns (write it in the notes of your mfp diary). Good luck I feel the feels and how painfully debilitating it can be sometimes. x

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My daughter developed all sorts of digestive issues when she tried adding more beans in to her diet. She did an elimination diet and her symptoms have now subsided. She avoids dairy products.
  • goodman605
    goodman605 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look up FODMAP, stick to that for awhile.
    For me any grain, legumes or dairy are huge triggers. When I eat primarily Paleo my stomach thanks me, but Paleo isn't for everyone.