Weekend binges wiping out weekly deficit

Options

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When you eat the "junk" "binge" foods on the weekends, cut the portions in half. If you just absolutely can't avoid eating those foods, take a pause and have them box up half your food or order small/half portions if you can. Now a days a lot of places have healthier options, order only from the "lighter" menu.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    dracaene wrote: »
    Good advice so far. I guess really what I'm in need of are some coping mechanisms to help me stay in control, when I'm faced with trigger foods (foods that I cannot seem to help over eating) like baked goods, or potato chips. I have very little trouble maintaining discipline throughout the week, but it seems like every weekend lately has been some sort of special occasion where I wind up surrounded by food that I would normally not keep in the house precisely because I KNOW I have trouble resisting it.

So everyone has clearly beat me to the obvious. Which is that it's all self control and creating a larger deficit throughout the week.
    I had a binge eating disorder so I understand how hard self control is to obtain and use consistently. But as far as coping with it, you have to learn what works for you. Personally I had to take myself out of situations that could exacerbate my problems. I didn't go out to eat, I only bought 2 days worth of meals at a time, and I avoided parties and special occasions. Now I have learned self control and I can be around food and not binge, but it took about 6 weeks of expelling myself from those situations.

I'm not saying you need to stop living. I hate seeing people have to do what I did and avoid social interactions. I'm just saying you need to learn what works for you.
  • melpidal
    melpidal Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How can I bank calories for the weekend?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    melpidal wrote: »

Have a higher deficit on weekdays, eat those calories on the weekend.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    melpidal wrote: »
    To see the bank, look at weekly net calorie stats in the phone app under "nutrition".
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    as reiterated: create a bigger deficit during the week. i know this weekend i'll be going out of town with my family to a small music festival, which i know will involve at least a corn dog and a a couple several beers. and while there will be a good amount of walking, i am planning for this week to exercise more (aka, actually exercise) and be very strict in staying within my set range in order for me to have enough wiggle room for some fun.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A little bit more deficit during the week, do something active to try and override some of those excess calories but imo try and rein in your weekend eating - I know that's what I had to do. :/ Its fine to bank calories but if you are going to wipe out your calorie deficit you wont lose weight, in fact you could gain.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love to party. I'll bank all my calories and macros within a day, so I can enjoy a party.

Since most party foods are usually high in fat and carbs, I'll eat lean meat and raw vegetables before the event. I find it helpful to stay within maintenance calories by having a very satiating meal before going to any social gatherings.

• klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, it's extremely frustrating.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You say you "may" be wiping out your deficit. How has your weight loss been over the last month or two? Do you like the foods you are eating during the week, or are you eating foods you wouldn't otherwise in order to hit your calorie goal?
  • Islander4Life
    Islander4Life Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My life in a nutshell. Loose 1-2 lbs during the week, gain 2-3 over the weekend.......... repeat......
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I've had two weekend binges and the scale is up now. A food binge is bad. Yes, you can absolutely wipe out and reverse a weeks worth of work in one day. The best way to avoid them is to keep busy, and keep preplanning all your food. Basically, at least for me, the weekend can't be any different from the week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Limit your daily total sugar intake (including fruit) to 50 grams or less, and also lower your daily carbs to 100 grams.. so at least your body won't store excess fat

Wait, so I can eat 6000 calories a day, as long as I'm limiting sugar and sub 100g of carbohydrates and not store excess fat?

Mind.
    Blown.

you have discovered the secret...
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've set my MFP goal to -500cals (1 pound loss) a week I stick with it during the week than eat at maintenance (or slightly above) on the weekends I lose approx half a pound a week. :)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I decided to do some math to figure exactly how many calories I overate by, to hopefully use the dose of reality to make me feel better and/or give me a plan of attack so as to not continue in this pattern of overeating on the weekend.
    As a result of my calculations, I realized that despite all the weekend overeating I had been under my daily calorie goal enough on the weekdays that, combined with my daily built-in deficit of 250 calories, somehow I was still in an overall deficit this week of 791 calories. Not my goal of 1750 calories deficit per week, but better than being in excess!
    So now I feel a lot better.
    But still, I need to work on not overdoing it on the weekend. I think that if I aim to eat “maintenance” calories on the weekend, then I won’t feel like “oh well, I’ve already blown it today so might as well eat this WHOLE bag of chips cuz I already ruined my deficit”.

how did you go back and calculate food already consumed??
  • dracaene
    dracaene Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    how did you go back and calculate food already consumed??

I looked at my log
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I decided to do some math to figure exactly how many calories I overate by, to hopefully use the dose of reality to make me feel better and/or give me a plan of attack so as to not continue in this pattern of overeating on the weekend.
    As a result of my calculations, I realized that despite all the weekend overeating I had been under my daily calorie goal enough on the weekdays that, combined with my daily built-in deficit of 250 calories, somehow I was still in an overall deficit this week of 791 calories. Not my goal of 1750 calories deficit per week, but better than being in excess!
    So now I feel a lot better.
    But still, I need to work on not overdoing it on the weekend. I think that if I aim to eat “maintenance” calories on the weekend, then I won’t feel like “oh well, I’ve already blown it today so might as well eat this WHOLE bag of chips cuz I already ruined my deficit”.

Wait, so the binge was basically a Panera candy cookie a day for two days? So you're telling me while out in a social setting you can't have 500 calories less? That's like switching from rum and cokes to rum and diet cokes. Or not having that appetizer, or splitting the dessert instead of having it for yourself. I think sometimes we need to work on our view of food first before we start dieting. We get the notion of putting bad labels on the way we eat, and what we eat, so when we break one of these rules we set up of the bad food, and habits we come down on ourselves pretty hard.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My life in a nutshell. Loose 1-2 lbs during the week, gain 2-3 over the weekend.......... repeat......

Now that would be a binge. Eating 10,500 calories over maintenance a weekend. So that would mean you are actually up 1lb every week?

• kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Weekends do me in too as I'm not at work but this weekend I stuck at it with mostly willpower and im feeling very proud of myself today as the scales are showing I've lost weight and not gained