I'm 5,7 my perfect weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Reading through this I'm hoping that you've come to the realization that your "perfect" weight is highly personal and dependent on your build and the aesthetic you are trying to attain. There are plenty of opinions and calculators and guidelines, but it all comes down to what YOU feel is your perfect weight. Good luck!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    196lbs
  • elizabethhilbert
    elizabethhilbert Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I felt fantastic at 136. I'd say you're good, but if you're still not happy with how you look at 134, I'd focus on exercise/toning/recomp instead of losing more fat!
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    use bmi
  • getfitchelle
    getfitchelle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My husband is 5'6" and 161lbs. He's bangin', smoking hot, to me anyway.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7". My "happy weight" is 138-140 - meaning that is the heaviest I can tolerate and feel good about myself. My goal weight is 135. I'm not sure I could manage 125 just because I have a bit more muscle than the average (female) bear. :)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    134 is already on the low end - 124 even more so

134 is in no way the "low end" of a range that has a lower bound at 118 pounds. OP would have to lose 16 pounds to be medically underweight. I checked at the Mayo Clinic just to be sure.

I'm 5'8 and anything between 143lbs (lowest end) and 150 (highest) sits fine on me.

I'd say for you, 138-148lbs, depending on your build and muscle mass etc.

According to the Mayo Clinic, the lowest healthy weight for a 5'8" adult is 122 pounds.

Why do people here have such a skewed idea of normal weight ranges? At 5'7" tall, the lowest normal healthy weight is 118 pounds, at a BMI of 18.5. Not 138 and definitely not 140.

I keep seeing responses on this site that severely inflate what the bottom of the normal weight range is, by 15 to 20 (or in this case up to 30 pounds). I don't know why that is, but it's factually incorrect and not helpful to give out misinformation like this.

Christine was very clearly talking about her personal preferences, not issuing medical guidance, but regarding your point in general , not everyone is using the currently recommended BMI range of 18.5-25.

For years, the healthy range was deemed to be 20-25, and some organisations are still using/recommending that range, including Slimming World. For the OP's height, BMI 20 equals 128 lbs. This may explain the difference in attitudes you're encountering.

Her preference, as you refer to it, is still ten pounds above even your inflated bottom end. The fact that you can find certain groups continuing to use a metric that changed to match the findings of further research doesn't make that assertion remain valid. The advice given was that the minimum weight for OP is 138, and it was based on opinion although asserted as if fact. It's not, and it doesn't matter who wants to think it is.

After all, there are still people who assert that the universe is less than 7000 years old, and they are still wrong.
    That's a very unusual way to spell "thank you, that would explain it".

I meant what I wrote. People here are giving advice that applies their own preferences to others and couching it as if it's factual when it is not.

It is still absurd to me that so many people at My Fitness Pal are deliberately overstating what the healthy weight range is, and also advising people to have target weights that are overweight.

My healthy range of 145-165 was determined by a doctor. I'm pretty sure they are qualified to *kitten* a healthy weight range for their patient.

At 160 I have 26-27% body fat. My goal is to get my body fat % to stay below 25%. Based on past experience that puts me at around 150-155lb. I was at 23% last time I weighed 150 a few years ago (and substitute teaching Insanity at the Y) That isn't overweight for me. I am a female 5'7".

My point...what is an "ideal" or healthy weight will vary person to person.
  • SCoil123
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Why it changed a s s e s to kitten I don't know lol
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 7 and for me 74kg looks perfect as I have a lot of muscle. Really depends on your physique.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I rest at 115. The weight that looks and feels best on you varies within a range.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Typo made you fall foul of the swear filter. :'( You have been penalised for leaving out the second s in the last pair.

See, it works: assess!

• SCoil123
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Typo made you fall foul of the swear filter. :'( You have been penalised for leaving out the second s in the last pair.

See, it works: assess!

I feel like such a rebel now lol
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    is LucasLean the only guy in this thread?

I'm curious what other 5' 7 guys set their "perfect" height at. If they could share.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ... apparently i can mange nonsense posts from my back pocket.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6". I just shared a pic with some friends of me bolting down the track at age 15. I weighed 125-ish. Big-boned, squatty-legged, thin as a rail, and no breasts to speak of. I was on swim team all year round and added track on top in the spring, volleyball in the fall. Plus biking and running around. I was that weight only one other time in my life, the winter when I was a chairlift operator, burning calories working and skiing all day 5 days a week, and trying to keep warm.
    Right now my goal weight is a very reasonable 145. 135 would be great, but I doubt even that is maintainable for very long.
    I would have to have been much more willowy to get to the 118 lb. low end of "normal" any time after 6th grade.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I'm curious what other 5' 7 guys set their "perfect" height at. If they could share.

We're talking perfect height? I'm 5'7" now, but if I could be 5'10"... :lol:
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

We're talking perfect height? I'm 5'7" now, but if I could be 5'10"... :lol:

Sorry, good catch. :) It was a low blood sugar moment for me. I meant weight, but this seems like a stale topic.
  • labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Christine_72. I am 5'7, 146-148 range, 44 years old. If I were to get to 140, I look sickly. At my lowest, I was 138 (26 years old) and I didn't look good at all!!! I am in a healthy range that I can actually maintain without starving myself :-)