no special arrangements needed...

Options
ShellyMacchi
ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
Last saturday, my oldest son (and proud new daddy) invited the family to his home for a BBQ. He was making his 'secret recipe' ribs.

He asked me was there something special he needed to have ready for me (knowing i have been eating heathier and losing weight - see previous blogs entries for his reaction when he first saw me).

I assured him there was nothing special he needed to do to have food 'safe' for me..though i appreciated his consideration.

After the call ended, i thought about my answer to him... and could not help but smile at just how far i have come in 8 months. Because, there really was no need to make special arrangements to accommodate my eating whatsoever, and, i finally 'KNEW' it! I was no longer worried/concerned about how i would make his meal 'work' for me.

I 'get it' that, i am an intelligent adult and perfectly capable of CHOOSING how much to eat of whatever is being offered to me! 'I' am the one in control of whether something can fit into my eating plan choices or not..no fear whatsoever.

So on saturday my only thoughts were about being able to cuddle my granddaughter again *S*

To even further test my resolve, all he wanted me to bring along with me (when i asked what i could bring to help out) was HIS favourite homemade cookies (that are covered in a chocolately fudgey icing), and my mother's recipe for old fashioned soda biscuits... another huge (not low cal) family favourite.
So, saturday before we lest for the drive to his place, i spent the morning baking and icing cookies, and making his biscuits. Contrary to all past times when i have made both, i did not eat even one..not even a bite!

Once we arrived there, the aroma of the baby back ribs he was BBQing was SO delicious! He really has turned into a terrific cook since he has married and settled into family life :) *proud mum smile*.

When supper was served, i did indeed has 4 of those delicious meaty, well sauced ribs, and enjoyed every single mouthful! there was plain steamed broccoli available and i had a big heap of that, but there was also a delicious sourcream, bacon, cheese, double stuffed baked potato 1/2 as another accompaniement, and yes indeed, i had one of those too!

Wonder of wonders, he had even made home-made cannoli for dessert, and i had one of those as well.

Here's the amazing thing... it all tasted SO good!!!! And in the past i would have for sure had a second helping of everything (except the broccoli *L*), but.. i was perfectly satisfied! It all tasted SO wonderful, but JUST because it taste so good did NOT mean i needed to gorge myself with more. I took pleasure in the fact i was satisfied and not overstuffed *L* I thought i was likely over my calories etc as a result but i was fine with that too! No stress!

More time was spent after supper cuddling the baby, talking, laughing, just plain enjoying the time together.

Once it was time to leave, hubby drove home, leaving me free to whip out my smart phone and enter my meal into mfp *L* And lo and behold!!!! I was fine! in fact, i even had room for a snack still once we got home after the 1.5 hour drive!! WOW!

So there i was, happy, contented, happily full, relaxed, not stressed at all leading up to the meal, i was ready to choose from whatever there was and be fine with it *S*..and as it turned out, the amounts i chose were perfectly ok! I actually have learned something by accounting for every lil bit of food over the last 8 months..and i LOVE the freedom this new knowledge and awareness has given me!

i mean... don't i 'look' happy? *S*

nanaandaubrey.jpg

ohhh and btw... the next day i had an email from ex hubby, and in the course of email he mentioned my weight loss (first time he'd seen me since this loss was night baby was born last week). His comment (as he knows i want to lose more yet to reach normal weight)?

'I must admit I am not sure where you are going to find anymore to lose'

*beaming* yup... was a terrific weekend *S*

Replies

• mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    YEAH! You GO girl!!! Keep up the awesome work!!! :)
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    AWESOME!!
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    WHAT A TERIFFIC POST,I WAS IN TEARS. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU, SO PLEASED I COULD WATCH SOME OF YOUR JOURNEY,AND, YES, YOU DO LOOK HAPPY. THE BABY IS BEAUTIFUL, AND SO BLESSED TO HAVE YOU FOR HER GRANDMA. WHAT A GREAT STORY, YOU ROCK, LOVE, RED:heart:
  • NeverStopRunning
    Options
    Aww that made my heart smile...
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    What an absolutely beautiful post! I'm going on vacation in 4 weeks and already trying not to stress about how I'm going to be eating. I hope I can do as good as you did and not dwell on it. Thanks so much for your inspiring words :heart:
  • KatrinaBallerina
    Options
    This was an amazing story..and a beautiful picture of you and your granddaughter! I find it always the hardest to eat healthy in settings like that, but you did great! :) Keep up the awesome work.
  • wanetam
    wanetam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Love this!! You nailed it : )
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful story! I'm not quite there yet (the not stressing out part) but I will be. And you give me hope that it won't be too long before I can go to those parties, eat anything (portion control always!) and have fun.

And what a wonderful NSV for your ex to share with you!

Enjoy your grandbaby! They are the rewards we get for having kids!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    that is a really great story and you are a great inspiration! I'm feeling like I'm making those choices sometimes, just need to make it an all the time thing and have confidence like you!
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Such an inspirational story. My biggest problem is portion control and church functions and such. I think I have to try most of the items and if they are real good I go back for seconds. Maybe the next time I go to one, I will remember your great story. Thank you for sharing!!!!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. I love to motivate and be motivated by others
  • sf08003
    sf08003 Posts: 30
    Options
    GREAT STORY! Good for you, and congrats on your new grand baby.
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Great story and great job! You do look happy!
  • lmvrbaby
    lmvrbaby Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Awesome and congrats to you! :happy:
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Way to go~ It's gotta feel great to hear your ex husband say that! Congrats!
  • tiaydew
    tiaydew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Awww! I loved your story! Congrats on all your success!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    What a great story and what a handsome young lad. I think you know you have it under control when you say "no special arrangements".

My mom was trying to fit Sunday dinner into my diet a few months ago. I just told her fix what she enjoys and I'll work around it.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you! It sounds like you had such a nice time. :) Delicious food, time with family, a new grandbaby, and your weight loss. The ribs and cannoli sound wonderful. I like to make cannoli too, except you did better than I would have with them! :) Congratulations to you!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your granddaughter!!! She is gorgeous!

I really enjoyed your motivating post!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!