Water retention ..... advise needed please

Options
bikecheryl
bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
Can't figure this one out.... need some help.
I'm 58, female, 273 lbs.... started at 288 lbs 5 weeks ago.
I'm on 1500 calories/day - sticking to it really well, most days under allowing for errors.
I do not eat back exercise calories.
No starchy carbs after lunch, no after dinner snacking.
I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees and am scheduled for a total knee replacement this coming winter.
I bike 5x per week, walking is literally a pain... lol.
I hope that gives enough background.... but will answer any question that may provide more clarity.
So...... I still suffer from swollen ankles/water retention that will balloon my weight 3 lbs in a day with no dietary cause.
Does anyone know of a natural way to curb this?
Help !!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just to drink lots of water and avoid sodium. Someone else may have better advice, though. Sending well-wishes your direction!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    The swelling in your ankles is showing up on your scale. Drinking more water can help but at least you know its not a real gain.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    Can't figure this one out.... need some help.
    I'm 58, female, 273 lbs.... started at 288 lbs 5 weeks ago.
    I'm on 1500 calories/day - sticking to it really well, most days under allowing for errors.
    I do not eat back exercise calories.
    No starchy carbs after lunch, no after dinner snacking.
    I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees and am scheduled for a total knee replacement this coming winter.
    I bike 5x per week, walking is literally a pain... lol.
    I hope that gives enough background.... but will answer any question that may provide more clarity.
    So...... I still suffer from swollen ankles/water retention that will balloon my weight 3 lbs in a day with no dietary cause.
    Does anyone know of a natural way to curb this?
    Help !!

Unfortunately, swelling in the lower extremities comes from inactivity. You are not moving your whole body enough for your circulation to prevent the fluids from collecting. The best way to avoid this in your circumstances is to keep your feet at or above the level of your heart as much as possible when you are not walking (in other words, sit with your feet propped or lay down). You might want to consider compression stockings too.

Good luck with the knee replacements. I know so many people who have had good luck with them.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say about it?
  • bikecheryl
    Options

I haven't seen her about it yet, was hoping for something "natural" before going the pharmaceutical route.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

I haven't seen her about it yet, was hoping for something "natural" before going the pharmaceutical route.

It's more a point of ruling out more serious causes first.
  • RoseHL
    RoseHL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do please see your doctor since swelling in the ankles could be a sign of something more serious. If they say it's nothing to worry about, then go the nonpharmacological route.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to see your diary.

I love 100% cranberry juice (2 ounces with water) works wonders for water retention.

I also try and limit my sodium food intake. Love cottage cheese, but limit it to at least two times per week, the same goes for smoked salmon.

As someone said, see your doctor also.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Coffee can help you loose water weight as it is a diuretic if you dont do coffee socajam is right cranberry juice will help (preferably without added sugar). Drink lots of water especially right after waking up. Lower your sodium and dont add salt to anything if at all possible. I was having the same problem and this is what my doctor recommended for me. If this doesn't help then I would definitely go and see a doctor
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Coffee can help you loose water weight as it is a diuretic if you dont do coffee socajam is right cranberry juice will help (preferably without added sugar). Drink lots of water especially right after waking up. Lower your sodium and dont add salt to anything if at all possible. I was having the same problem and this is what my doctor recommended for me. If this doesn't help then I would definitely go and see a doctor

Unfortunately diuretics don't help (and can even make the situation worse) if the issue is circulatory which is why a trip to the doctor first is advised.
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I made an appointment for this afternoon to get it checked out. I will post back with Dr's recommendation.
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    More background & quick update:

I was really hoping for a big loss this week and everything was going fine till I stepped on the scale yesterday morning and saw I had gained 3 lbs.

Huh ????? That can't be right cause I have been seriously good. I didn't even cheat at my husbands retirement BBQ Saturday. I took a step back and noticed my legs, ankles & feet. Hmmmm... swollen. But again - I'm drinking lots of water and have cut my salt way down.

So I made a DR's appt and got in right away. Apparently a side effect of the medication I'm taking for my knees is water retention and swelling. Great, I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Ok, fine..... off Vomovo and on water pills & arthritis strength Tylenol (I threw in a few choice $%#%$ words for good measure). Looks like I'll be getting my step count traipsing back and forth to washroom.

I wonder how many lbs in a gallon of water. :blush:
  • earlnabby
    edited May 2017
    Options
    More background & quick update:

I was really hoping for a big loss this week and everything was going fine till I stepped on the scale yesterday morning and saw I had gained 3 lbs.

Huh ????? That can't be right cause I have been seriously good. I didn't even cheat at my husbands retirement BBQ Saturday. I took a step back and noticed my legs, ankles & feet. Hmmmm... swollen. But again - I'm drinking lots of water and have cut my salt way down.

So I made a DR's appt and got in right away. Apparently a side effect of the medication I'm taking for my knees is water retention and swelling. Great, I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Ok, fine..... off Vomovo and on water pills & arthritis strength Tylenol (I threw in a few choice $%#%$ words for good measure). Looks like I'll be getting my step count traipsing back and forth to washroom.

I wonder how many lbs in a gallon of water. :blush:

128 oz = 8 lb

What part of the world do you live in? I recently gained my usual 2 lb of water weight because of the onset of the summer heat this week. It will go away in the fall. That is something else people don't think about.

Water pills aren't that bad. I am on hydrochlorothiazide and I do go more often but it isn't TOO often and I don't get any more sudden urges than I did before taking it.
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    I'm in central Canada...... we haven't gotten any hot weather yet. I'm on Furosemide. It's just the Vomovo was really helping with the osteoarthritis - at least with the biking.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i've suffered from edema in my feet and ankles as well, particularly in my left foot. losing weight and increasing exercise has helped significantly. sodium and TOM will still trigger some swelling though. i had my doctor look into everything, even had contrast scans done to rule out circulation problems. not saying that you won't have a different outcome, but for me it was just a nasty side effect of putting on a bunch of weight.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I'm in central Canada...... we haven't gotten any hot weather yet. I'm on Furosemide. It's just the Vomovo was really helping with the osteoarthritis - at least with the biking.

Unfortunately, much of dealing with a health issue is a trade-off. The best thing any of us can do is read the literature, ask questions, and decide what will give us the best overall quality of life. Glad you are getting the knees replaced. They really help.