What to eat...

Options
What do you guys eat? How many meals, sizes, calories? Do you cut out certain foods?

I have been to the dietician today and she's said that I'm not eating enough or getting the right nutrition and that's why I'm losing weight. She said I need to eat more and regularly. At the the moment I eat lunch (chicken The and tomato) an apple and then dinner (meat and veg).

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Did your dietitian give you an eating plan?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Start with reaching your calorie goal, if you're struggling to eat enough add some calorie dense snacks such as peanut butter or cheese. When you have your calorie goal under control you can then focus on getting your macros sorted for a good nutritional balance.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you are going to work with a professional, it has to be someone you feel you can trust.

Don't let yourself be confused by media/hype. To eat right, you just have to get enough of all you need, but not too much. People eat differently because of preference, habits, convenience.

I usually eat 3 mels a day now, 1900 calories split into half for dinner, and the second half split in half for breakfast and half for lunch. I'm not really cutting out anything I like, but I do pay attention to what I eat and how it affects me, so I mostly stick to real, whole foods and home cooked meals.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Your dietician is probably the best person to ask for examples of what to eat.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want within 1200 calories a day. I usually have 3 meals a day (I force myself to have breakfast because otherwise I wouldn't) and try to stay in my macros. Sometimes I have a snack when I get really hungry. I also drink a lot of black coffee =) Oh, I try to not have meat more often than twice a week, same for fish and chicken, and throw in some vegetarian/vegan stuff for the majority of meals because it's just better for my overall wellbeing.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What do you guys eat? How many meals, sizes, calories? Do you cut out certain foods?

I have been to the dietician today and she's said that I'm not eating enough or getting the right nutrition and that's why I'm losing weight. She said I need to eat more and regularly. At the the moment I eat lunch (chicken The and tomato) an apple and then dinner (meat and veg).

Are you trying to maintain? Gain? What are your goals?
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I eat 1150-1200 calories a day. With a few days at 1300-1400. I stick with coffee and a greek yogurt for breakfast. For lunch I aim for 300 calories a day, mostly salads, hummus or tuna. I like protein. I have an afternoon snack of fruit or fiber bar at about 100 calories and then dinner at around 600 calories. I find salads, fruits and proteins work best. I had a scrambled egg and bagel for dinner last night.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Libby283 wrote: »
    I eat 1150-1200 calories a day. With a few days at 1300-1400. I stick with coffee and a greek yogurt for breakfast. For lunch I aim for 300 calories a day, mostly salads, hummus or tuna. I like protein. I have an afternoon snack of fruit or fiber bar at about 100 calories and then dinner at around 600 calories. I find salads, fruits and proteins work best. I had a scrambled egg and bagel for dinner last night.

Work best for what?

OP-

If you need to increase calories usually fat dense food is the easiest way to do it.

Nuts, avacado, nut butter, bacon, cheese and other full fat dairy, use butter or oil when you cook.
  • FreshStart103
    FreshStart103 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    No she didn't :/
    oolou wrote: »

I did ask she couldn't really offer me many options.

I'm trying to lose. 40kg left all up now
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Um....your OP says this:
    I have been to the dietician today and she's said that I'm not eating enough or getting the right nutrition and that's why I'm losing weight.

and then you say this:
    I'm trying to lose.

I'm pretty confused as to what you are asking.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Is this an RD, a Registered Dietician? With no food suggestions, seems weird.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    No she didn't :/
    oolou wrote: »

I did ask she couldn't really offer me many options.

I'm trying to lose. 40kg left all up now

What kind of a dietician doesn't offer a patient a thorough eating plan?
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    3 times a day usually and 2 snacks if I'm busy or train in between meals. I don't leave out any type of food but do avoid highly processed foods whenever I can (frozen vegetables/fruit, wholegrain bread, yogurt, minced meat, etc. are all fine). Also, I personally don't like extremely low carb diets, because they're often very high in fat and animal protein, which increases your risk of certain diseases, but it's whatever floats one's boat really.
    1. If what you mentioned is all you eat in a day, then yes that's not enough. Calculate your TDEE to get an idea of how much you need to maintain: for women who are not very active (yet) it's usually 1600-2000 depending on their height and for men 2000-2500.
    2. Considering that you want to lose weight, subtract 200-300 kcal from your TDEE for a moderate deficit or up to 400 if you have more weight to lose and want to go a bit faster. At higher deficits, it's better to cut 200 from your diet and create a deficit of another 200 by doing exercise (30 min to 1 hour a day). Higher deficits in diet alone can cause nutrient deficiencies.
    3. Start with eating something simple for breakfast: a banana, fruit smoothie, yogurt with fruit, oats, omelet or something like that, to get used to eating at that time of day.
    4. For dinner add a portion of carbs in the form of brown rice, couscous, (sweet) potato, wholegrain pasta, etc. and you can try cooking with peas, lentils and beans as well. They are good sources of non-animal protein and so are nuts, but contrary to peas/beans/lentils these also contain (healthy) fat.
    5. Mix up the vegetables you eat for dinner and try new things regularly, same for meat: try fish, chicken and vegetarian as well.