Question about compression shorts

Options
I found a pair of old compression shorts that I bought in college. I use to wear them and go walking with my room mate. At the time it seemed to help but I can't remember the other factors that might have lead to less inches.

Have you worn compression shorts and gotten better results or worn them forever and never saw a difference. My major problem is I have bigger hips and thighs. I'm having a hard time losing inches there and I want to know if compression shorts is worth wearing while I workout on the elliptical.

I know to keep myself hydrated so not worried about that. I understand that I will most likely loss water weight and it will come back as soon as I hydrate myself. This question is posed to people that wore them for a while and their results compared to when they haven't. I plan on wearing it for two weeks while i workout and see if there is a difference.

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    You're asking if they help with fatloss...?
    I'd say no, definitely not.
    I wear compression shorts for most of my lifting/cardio, and it does nothing for weightloss/fatloss/anything like that. I wear them to hold everything "in place" and keep my butt covered lol.
    I've also never found that they make me sweat ore or lose water weight like you mentioned.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Bits of elastic holding things in isn't going to change genetic predisposition of fat distribution and skeletal shape.

So no, they won't make a single bit of difference.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've never even heard the claim that they cause fat loss?? I thought they were just to hold things in place as others have said!

Think about it - if they actually worked wouldn't everyone be wearing compression shorts and have these amazing bodies!?!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about regular spandex-like shorts, or some sort of "fat-loss" shorts that are supposed to make you sweat more? In both cases, the answer is no, but the compression shorts may make the exercise more comfortable, which is reason enough to wear them.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Never heard this either. I wear them for long runs--they prevent pain in the posterior. ;-) I also wear compression capris for long runs when my knee is bothering me. They do LOOK slimming but that's just because they are tight and black.
  • secondtimearound03
    secondtimearound03 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wear compression shorts for most of my lifting/cardio, and it does nothing for weightloss/fatloss/anything like that. I wear them to hold everything "in place" and keep my butt covered lol.
    I've also never found that they make me sweat ore or lose water weight like you mentioned.

Ya I was doubtful about the fat loss but I wore them yesterday and omg love them... they kept the jiggle down to a minimum lol and I was able to squat better because it was holding my hips tights (have hip issues)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I found a pair of old compression shorts that I bought in college. I use to wear them and go walking with my room mate. At the time it seemed to help but I can't remember the other factors that might have lead to less inches.

Have you worn compression shorts and gotten better results or worn them forever and never saw a difference. My major problem is I have bigger hips and thighs. I'm having a hard time losing inches there and I want to know if compression shorts is worth wearing while I workout on the elliptical.

I know to keep myself hydrated so not worried about that. I understand that I will most likely loss water weight and it will come back as soon as I hydrate myself. This question is posed to people that wore them for a while and their results compared to when they haven't. I plan on wearing it for two weeks while i workout and see if there is a difference.

Are you asking if clothing can help you lose weight???

No. Certainly not.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

Ya I was doubtful about the fat loss but I wore them yesterday and omg love them... they kept the jiggle down to a minimum lol and I was able to squat better because it was holding my hips tights (have hip issues)

Yeah i wear them to keep the jiggle down and protect from chub rub
    They work well for that
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    They can improve comfort/recovery which helps you get in a better/longer workout. Indirect benefits. Wearing something will not change your weight loss results.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Compression wear is good for recovery, the only time I go full compression wear is for runs over 30k. Outside of that I would say the benefits are little to none over any other pair of shorts.

Do you like the shorts? If so, wear them! If you don't then leave them at home and enjoy your walk in whatever you do fancy