Empty stomach cardio.

Options
2»

Replies

• Garae
    Garae Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I find that bagel thin's with peanut butter and coffee give me the best fuel for workouts in the morning =]
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Look at some of the most "ripped" (low bodyfat) fitness and bodybuilding contestants. Almost ALL will do low intensity cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to enhance fat burning since fat hides the muscle they are trying to display. And these people eat WAY better than we do and don't want to lose any lean muscle.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do cardio in the early morning, I don't eat beforehand. This is only because I don't know how to eat and not get cramps! I need an hour between eating and cardio, and no way am I waking up THAT early! :laugh:

So far, I'm never miserable or hungry, and I always eat right afterwards.

That's exactly why I never ate before running in the mornings. I had to get up at 5:30 a.m. to get a run in before work. I sure as shootin' wasn't getting up at 4:30 a.m. just to eat a snack. But I eat dinner pretty late (9 - 10 p.m. usually) so my fast would not have been as long as some that eat earlier.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    While there isn't anything wrong with eating breakfast before training, or having a meal before training...

There isn't anything bad about training fasted either. Alot of athletes, bodybuilders, and trainers go to the gym and do cardio and/or weight training FASTED.

In fact, one proven method is widely known and is called Intermittent Fasting. There are different methods to this madness but to sum up, I'll give you an example of what I do every day.

I fast for 16 hours a day between the hours of 8pm to 12 noon the following day. Then I have a feeding window between 12 noon to 8pm. Works great, is proven to work effectively, and many people do it. In fact, many people incorporate CARB CYCLING to coincide with Intermittent Fasting and have had HUGE success with it.

I do this, too. No eating before noon and after 7pm. I graze all day long and have lost major weight by doing it (100lbs. but gained 30lbs. back early this year/late last year because I broke that rule), and it's coming off again because I'm doing this. Works great! Rarely do I eat before a workout. If I do, it's a very low calorie piece of fruit. I get sick and never finish a workout if I eat first. Even with the fruit, it's a half-a$$ed run or circuit training session.