Starting over again at 50 any tips?

Options
Decided to start over and get healthy. Any tips for 50+ age group?!

Replies

• Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Stay committed everyday!!
  • 8888m8888
    8888m8888 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Meeee tooooooo! Well, I just turned 49, but, ugh, I've never been this large in my life. Gotta make many changes. Using this app really seems to help me see how many cals I have been having. I also started a book to help me stay focused... for me this will be a spiritual journey and this has helped me so far. (Healthy by Design: Weight Loss, God's Way: Christian Weight Loss Plan and Bible Study by Cathy Morenzie). Best wishes!
  • issypops
    issypops Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Over 50 here too and the weight is coming off slow and steady. Lifestyle change, creating new habits and not trying to be perfect have all worked well for me. Happy to accept friends requests.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    53 years old here. I've lost 63 pounds over the past several years with about 35 of those pounds lost while on MFP.

For me, it's about smart choices (grilled chicken over fried chicken, pass on the donuts at work) and about consistently logging and trying to get some movement (exercise) each day.

Good luck to you.

You can do this!
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    52 and I've lost 47 pounds since mid February. My problem is I can still remember when I was in great shape in the Army, or when I was working out tons when I was in my early thirties, and now my body just doesn't recover like it did when I was younger. Because of this I tend to push myself too hard. If you're anything like that I would suggest starting out slowly and building up as you go, last November I got back into working out and broke my foot because I was pushing myself too hard. That sidelined my efforts for a few months. Take in fewer calories than you burn and you'll lose weight.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and I've lost 16 since January, ready for maintenance! Track, make good eating choices and regular exercise!
  • halizabeth
    halizabeth Posts: 111 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    50 here too............. and I lost 50 over the past year. Numbers haven't moved in over 2 months, but my mouth has... eating more sweets.......... as I normally do after losing weight. I am working daily to make history, not repeat it and seeing post on here helps with the motivation. Thanks for posting!! Good Luck!!
    PS POGO fan here, is that where your name come from too???
  • Salecca
    Salecca Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Losing weight over 50 is about changing your bad habits. These take weeks to overcome. So set a realistic target for yourself, say 1% bodyfat per week, and layer new habits over time. Once you've the hang of one, adopt another. The progress will keep you motivated
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Same as it is at any age, eat less calories than your burn.
    Weigh, measure and log everything you eat and drink and move more.
    Simple, but never easy.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

Accept the fact that the pounds may come off slower than it would have five or ten years ago. I got to goal eight years ago and now I'm almost 49 and it's very hard to even lose .5 a pound these days let alone 1-2 a month. It's very hard. I feel like I'm starving most days and don't have a lot of energy to walk on the treadmill. Factor in arthritis pain and kids keeping me on the run and I lose track sometimes.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

Accept the fact that the pounds may come off slower than it would have five or ten years ago. I got to goal eight years ago and now I'm almost 49 and it's very hard to even lose .5 a pound these days let alone 1-2 a month. It's very hard. I feel like I'm starving most days and don't have a lot of energy to walk on the treadmill. Factor in arthritis pain and kids keeping me on the run and I lose track sometimes.

Sorry to hear that u r having a tough time but it is possible to lose weight regardless ur age even though our metabolism is slower. I hate to use myself as an example but l have no one else to point to right now. I've just lost 15 lbs since Mar 15nd (from 184 to 169) n l m 57. I m a male who works out 3 to 4 times a week (but u dont need to to lose). once I've learn to eat properly, it is hard for me to hit 1500 sometimes . Even though I don't know ur personal stats but I think u should able to lose weight if u eat at 1400 to 1600 a day n it is quite manageable at that level. THE KEY is to eat one or two cups of vegetable(s) at each meal. 4 to 6 oz of chicken meat or fish n 2 cups of vegs is still under 400. if u can manage

300 bf
    400 lunch
    500 dinner

Then u still have 200 for a treat so it's not the end of the world. I really encourage u to try again if u like to shred some pounds. GOOD LUCK!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Log everything, get a good scale, move more. Stick with it, its not a quick fix. Good luck
  • tinampena
    tinampena Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I turn 50 in 2 nonths!! Trying to get back on the fit path! I am loving this site and the tips and motivation! !!
  • Hogerda
    Hogerda Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Go for it. Rediscover a waistline, a belly button, fewer night sweats (if you have those already, otherwise, maybe prevent them thru weight loss), pleasure in exercise: there is no down point to this. And you will replace the empty nest syndrome with a focus, the snacking with planning and cooking a healthy meal or going for a walk, the soda and alcohol with lemon-water. You can´t lose!!! Or rather, you can, slowly and steadily. It is actually not that hard, if you remember that your body will try to trick you into thinking that you are hungry. That is one challenge you want to win!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Don't use your age as an excuse. The rules are the same as they always were. Eat less than you burn and you'll lose.
    Leenizi129 wrote: »
    Stay committed everyday!!
    Same as it is at any age, eat less calories than your burn.
    Weigh, measure and log everything you eat and drink and move more.
    Simple, but never easy.

^^^ These basic things plus
    • Don't lie to your self about your food log. If you eat it own up to it.
    • Build some muscle. It will help your overall metabolism and your skeleton. We usually lose muscle as we age so fight that.
    • I would not set a goal of two pounds a week, unless I was morbidly obese.
    • Don't freak out when the scale goes up one day or week instead of down. Weight loss is not linear.

I am 56. The doctor tells me I have hypothroid. But I am telling you the reason I am fat is that I ate more than I burned. When I track my calories and intentionally exercise, I eat plenty AND I lose weight. There is no reason you can't too. I am down 23 pounds since the start of the year. I want to lose a pound a week this year and I am on track just through careful eating of my normal food and exercise. I may have to modify that goal as the year progresses - one pound a week may be too aggressive for my liking as I lose more weight. I may not want to cut my calories that much.

• sfsoccermom2
    sfsoccermom2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just turned 50 this week and recommitting. We can do this. Better now than never. Feel free to add me.