RICE?!?!

Brown rice, black rice, wild rice ... What the heck?!

What STORE BOUGHT (Wal-Mart, HEB, that sort of store) ... brands of rice do you use?

I've been eating Kokuho Rice for like ... 12 years ... which is a white rice.

I cook my rice in a rice cooker, if that matters.

Any input will be helpful!!

Thanks

Replies

• Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited May 2017
    Brown rice is wholegrain rice whereas white rice is not. White rice has had the bran and germ removed, which contains many nutrients. Black rice, red rice, gold rice, etc. are similar to brown rice but different varieties. Wild rice is a mix of rice species which I think is also similar to brown rice in nutritional profile. In certain dishes like risotto specially processed rice and sometimes ordinary white rice is used because this gives the desired texture while other rices like brown rice do not.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    What exactly are you looking for input on? Are you unhappy with what you are currently eating? I currently have Mahatma jasmine in the pantry.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    I like all rice! Usually I go for brown at home, but I get white rice at Indian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, and in sushi.
  • BrooklynBooty
    BrooklynBooty Posts: 39 Member
    I use Basmati and Jasmine rice if I want white rice, and I also eat a lot of brown rice. Basmati and Jasmin are very flavorful (way better than standard white rice). All 3 are the best for you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Xymheia wrote: »
    Brown rice is wholegrain rice whereas white rice is not. White rice has had the bran and germ removed, which contains many nutrients. Black rice, red rice, gold rice, etc. are similar to brown rice but different varieties. Wild rice is a mix but I think it's also similar to brown rice.

Wild rice is a totally different plant than any other rice. It has more potassium, zinc, and protein than actual rice.

Brown rice still has the germ, bran, and endosperm so it has more nutrients than white rice.

Within actual rice, there are different varieties (all of which can come in brown or white): long grain is the most common for regular dishes. Medium and short grain are stickier and good for things like sushi. Black rice is actual rice (unlike wild rice which is also black) and has a very nutty flavor. It is good mixed with long grain for things like pilaf. basmati is another variety of rice that comes in either brown or white and has a unique flavor different from other rices.

Jasmine is white or brown rice that has been scented with jasmine blossoms

Personally, I use quick cooking brown rice for most things and will use other rices and wild rice for special dishes.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    They all taste a little different. I currently have brown, red, black, and smoked Basmati in the pantry.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Rice is yummy. I'll use whatever type goes with the dish I want to eat. After all you wouldn't use wild rice to make egg fried rice.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    I buy Nishiki rice, and was severely disappointed to realize how many calories were in my normal serving size! I eat a lot of rice bowl, and had to change up the distribution of meat and veggies:rice, but I'm starting to get used to 46 grams of rice as a 'serving' and being satisfied with that. . . .
  • CeiraDenise
    CeiraDenise Posts: 17 Member
    I was reading today that white rice is considered a simple carb, so I was hoping other rices, such as brown or wild, would be a better choice.

I have tried brown rice before, though I don't recall the brand, and I did not like how it turned out. I do love the Uncle Ben's Wild Rice mix... and the HEB Frozen Wild Rice with Carrots and Peas.

I do NOT care for the flowery taste of Jasmine rice, I have tried it at Thai places before and it's a no go, lol.

I was just hoping to find something that would be a bit better for me than the white rice. I'm sorry if it doesn't actually matter... I thought it did!
  • CeiraDenise
    CeiraDenise Posts: 17 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I was reading today that white rice is considered a simple carb, so I was hoping other rices, such as brown or wild, would be a better choice.

I have tried brown rice before, though I don't recall the brand, and I did not like how it turned out. I do love the Uncle Ben's Wild Rice mix... and the HEB Frozen Wild Rice with Carrots and Peas.

I do NOT care for the flowery taste of Jasmine rice, I have tried it at Thai places before and it's a no go, lol.

I was just hoping to find something that would be a bit better for me than the white rice. I'm sorry if it doesn't actually matter... I thought it did!

The fiber difference is 1g in most rices. And even if it's a simple carb, which even a lot of fruit is, it won't really matter, especially if you are eating it with protein and/fats, as the latter will slow down the absorption. Either way, enjoy eating and try not to overthink this.

Thank you so much!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    I love rice-- all kinds-- and am told by many that I make the absolute best. (I use Basmati.) Unfortunately, there's no good rice when you're dieting. Brown rice at least has more fiber but it's still high in calories and has a high glycemic index.

I've tried turning cauliflower into rice with a food processor and microwave, but I'm not impressed. (Although I've had great luck making breadsticks and pizza crust out of cauliflower.)

Here's my favorite rice substitute:

Buy a 1 pound bag of store brand frozen cauliflower florets and dump it into a one gallon zip lock bag. Drizzle in a little olive oil and shake it up until it's distributed. Pour it out onto a cookie sheet and broil (on low) or bake (at 400 degrees) until many of them are golden brown. A few black spots are okay, too.

It's okay to turn them once or twice but don't overwork them.

About a minute before they're done, sprinkle some garlic powder, onion powder, and even a little cayenne on top.

I've found that all that yummy brown roasted flavor almost has a paella flavor and the cauliflower is delicious enough to use wherever you would otherwise use rice. You can put tomato sauce over it, or a light mushroom sauce, or just eat it plain.

Don't throw the zip lock bag in the trash. I put mine in the vegetable crisper, in the refrigerator, and use them a few more times since we eat roasted vegetables every day.

BTW-- try using the same method for fresh string beans and let them get good and brown and a little crispy. You'll never miss french fries again. I still can't believe how good they are-- especially since I'm normally only lukewarm on string beans.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    If you really want to slash your rice calories, give riced cauliflower a try. Low carb, low calorie and full of vitamins and minerals. I personally don't eat rice, it's very easy to overeat (and consume way too many calories) and it doesn't keep me full at all. I'd rather spend my calories on something full of nutrients.