Novice here: Strong Curves VS New Rules for Lifting

Options
Emily3907
Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
Hi all,

I am currently using weight machines at my gym, but would really like to move into free weights.

The problem is, I know next to nothing about what to do, how much, etc. I am considering getting the Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting for Women in order to get a better idea of what I need to be doing in the gym. My goal is to continue my current program until the beginning of June and then start easing into some free weight workouts.

I have also been looking at Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews as kind of an "intro". I would like to start doing my research now so that I can get a better idea (and start scoping out equipment) while at the gym.

I have a lot of weight to lose (around 85 pounds or more) so I am very much a beginner. Would these programs be too advanced for me? I have been increasing my weight on the machines pretty steadily with no issues, so I think I can start low and work my way up.

Which program would you suggest for a complete novice? Is one better for beginners than the other? Do you have any other program you would suggest for a newbie?

Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All three programs are good for beginners. They will all provide a solid foundation into lift and are based on progressive overload. SC is a bit more glute focused, if you want that. SC also has a beginners body weight program if you wanted to start there, too.

Either way, what are your goals outside of weight loss and choose the program that supports that.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I agree with the above advice--just a couple things to add from the perspective of someone who has used SC. Get the real book, not the Kindle book--you'll be flipping around a lot. The exercises (and ideas for switching out exercises based on injuries or equipment needs) are very well laid out in the back with descriptions and multiple pictures. I think it would be very good for a beginner.

That may be the case for NROLW, I just haven't read that one.

This is exactly why I have the real copies of BLS, TLS, and several NROL books. Allows you to skip and quickly look thru stuff.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've done get glutes (same creators as strong curves and very similar programming) and TLS. I know people like NROLFW so as psulemon said, they're all great programs for beginners. Personally I would lean more to TLS as I think the book is great. It explains everything you need to know, from explaining the form on the compounds to macros, and even discusses supplementation in one of the chapters. The program can be run 3-5 days a week and it's easy to fit into pretty much anyone's schedule.

If you're pear shaped (like myself) you might find strong curves to be too lower body focused for your goals, I did but that's just me. I needed more upper body work to balance out my body a little bit. However, if you feel like your lower body needs more work then maybe strong curves is a good fit for you.

Whatever you decide I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the three choices though. Pick one, try it out and enjoy the ride!
  • Emily3907
    Options
    Thank you for the tip! I was looking at the kindle versions, but wondered if the hard copies would be better so I can highlight, etc. Good to know!
  • Emily3907
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    I've done get glutes (same creators as strong curves and very similar programming) and TLS. I know people like NROLFW so as psulemon said, they're all great programs for beginners. Personally I would lean more to TLS as I think the book is great. It explains everything you need to know, from explaining the form on the compounds to macros, and even discusses supplementation in one of the chapters. The program can be run 3-5 days a week and it's easy to fit into pretty much anyone's schedule.

If you're pear shaped (like myself) you might find strong curves to be too lower body focused for your goals, I did but that's just me. I needed more upper body work to balance out my body a little bit. However, if you feel like your lower body needs more work then maybe strong curves is a good fit for you.

Whatever you decide I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the three choices though. Pick one, try it out and enjoy the ride!

I would say I am more apple shaped. I have a pancake booty but my flanks/"love handles" are out of control. I would also like to work on my inner and outer thighs. So, I was thinking Strong Curves might help me with that more than the others. But really, I will take anything I can get right now.

Obviously, I have to lose the weight covering the muscle in order to see any major progress. I am just hoping to keep my muscle nice and toned in the process so when the weight is gone, I have a nice shape.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I will note one more thing. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those programs. I just so happen to like the flexibility of TLS and SC (from what I have read) more then NROL4W.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    How many days do you exercise (or want to exercise)?

I have done Strong, which is the new and updated version of NROLFW. It's 9 month's worth of workouts and it's 3 days a week. I thought it was very good for me as a rank novice, cause it progresses you into each compound exercise. Ex: first month goblet squats, then box squats, then pause squats, etc., so it's a while before it has you load up heavy weights. Don't buy NROLFW, buy Strong instead.

I have also done Strong Curves which is ideally run on a 4 day a week schedule. The programming in each version is 12 weeks long, but there are a couple different templates. You'd probably be most interested in the beginner one, I think it's called "bootyful beginnings" which IMO is a cringeworthy name, but the programming is solid.

I've read TLS but not done it. I think there are 3, 4, and 5 day a week variations.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    I will most likely be doing any program 3-4 days a week. I swim on the "off" days.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I prefer SC, am okay with NROLFW, and don't really like TLS. The first two both have great reference sections/exercises glossaries.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I think I am going to order SC to start!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I prefer SC, am okay with NROLFW, and don't really like TLS. The first two both have great reference sections/exercises glossaries.

What didn't you like about TLS? I am just curious because I was thinking about purchasing it just to have in my arsenal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

What didn't you like about TLS? I am just curious because I was thinking about purchasing it just to have in my arsenal.

Most of the book is stuff that you can find easily online, similar to SC and NROLFW (why women should lift, nutrition, etc.) I figured since it was the same old same old, the training program would at least have a new twist. The twist is just that it is a body part split program and those have never appealed to me. The first day is incline bench, incline dumbbell bench, flat bench, and close grip bench...plus calves. I only bought it because it was on sale for 99 cents on Kindle so it wasn't a huge loss but I don't see myself following the program, ever.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Most of the book is stuff that you can find easily online, similar to SC and NROLFW (why women should lift, nutrition, etc.) I figured since it was the same old same old, the training program would at least have a new twist. The twist is just that it is a body part split program and those have never appealed to me. The first day is incline bench, incline dumbbell bench, flat bench, and close grip bench...plus calves. I only bought it because it was on sale for 99 cents on Kindle so it wasn't a huge loss but I don't see myself following the program, ever.

Ahhhh I see. That is a lot of bench work. Haha. Thanks!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

And its funny because I really like TLS. From someone who has been lifting for a while I have to admit a lot of the info in the book wasn't helpful to me, mostly because it was stuff I already knew. To a beginner though I think it would be very useful to have all that info together in one place. I think a lot of beginners get confused and trying to search online sometimes creates more questions due to conflicting info. Body part splits do appeal to me, I do 4 days a week and made some mods to the program to make it work a little better for me, mainly removing calves as I already have massive snowboard calves. I think it really all comes down to personal preference.

OP, I hope you enjoy SC. I'm sure you will!