Meal plans that don't include dairy or red meat.

Options
I am trying to eat healthier. I have tried eating vegan but feel like I end up craving cookies after a day of strictly just eating veggies and fruit. I really need some easy healthy meals that taste good and aren't so dry. I would like to eat just chicken and fish and veggies and fruit. I feel like dairy and gluten are drugs and I'm lactose intolerant. Dairy makes me feel disgusting. Thanks for listening!

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Gluten is not a drug and there is nothing wrong with it, dairy free milks are available to buy and easy to make, a vegan diet includes way more stuff than just veggies and fruit, and you can make vegan cookies if you really want to try a vegan diet but feel like having cookies sometimes. With that said, if you still want to avoid dairy/gluten/red meat for whatever reason whether you go vegan or not, any dish can be modified accordingly. Just replace meat with chicken/turkey/vegan alternatives, dairy with alternatives, and use gluten-free grains like rice.

I would also caution against meal plans. You want to learn how to eat in a way specific to you and your preferences and I feel meal plans don't give you the opportunity to learn how to adapt your own food to your own goals. Simplify and diversify. A healthy diet doesn't need to be restrictive with arbitrary rules, and it doesn't need to be boring either.

Re:gluten
    I made a meat alternative a couple of months ago that was largely near pure gluten, not just a gluten containing grain. It was divine, but no I did not sell my belongings in a back alley for another package of vital wheat gluten and I did not experience any negative issues, like one would expect with no gluten intolerance.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you do get bored easily with the same food, and the biggest benefit for you might be to take a cooking class. I would not worry if the classes uses dairy or gluten because there are plenty of substitutions you can look up online. Vegetables, fruit, meat, and other non-dairy items can be very diverse and exciting when you have some skills under your belt. Meal plans can get very monotonous and don't really teach so you can do other things besides that specific meal plan.

There are online cooking classes if there aren't any good ones in your area.
  • DiannaOnMaui
    DiannaOnMaui Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Check out Marco Borges book, the 22-day revolution. His follow up cookbook is great as well. Everything is vegan and tasty. Both books have meal plans built in. I'm enjoying the transition to vegan eating and am never bored.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    also. . oreos are vegan. . just putting that out there.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Bolognese is vegan too. And moist.

All the vinaigrette based salad dressings, too.

This is my favourite way to eat fish. You may skip the feta to keep it dairy free.
    http://www.hummusapien.com/mediterranean-tuna-salad/
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Check out The Vegan Zombie on youtube. He was my fav when I was vegan. :)
  • monimoore
    monimoore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Check out the MealMentor meal plans put out by Happy Herbivore.
  • NateSamuel
    NateSamuel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    if you would be interested in trying out a short diet for only two weeks try this out https://tinyurl.com/mynwruo
    So cheap, and so many people, that i know at least, have been having really good success with these types of things lately, give it a try, most companies will even give you your money back if you're not pleased with your experience