I love apples but...

Options

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I love apples and I love chocolate! There is many a day that I eat both. An 80 calorie apple plus a 240 calorie Milky Way still leave me with calories for the rest of my day. :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Because they're sugar. Nature's candy.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Apples do nothing for me
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Your small chocolate bars do not have any fibre....a bonus from the apple ;) Eat the skin for even for fibre

They must have some fiber. Cocoa powder (the unsweetened baking powder) is pretty high fiber. Obviously, in a chocolate bar, there's so much fat and sugar that the fiber may not amount to much, but if it has actual cocoa (i.e., not "white chocolate"), it has to have some fiber.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Apples are pretty nutritionally void. They're tasty when in season and smell wonderful, but even their fiber isn't that great. Sugary cereals per serving have the same or more fiber, and less sugar, than an apple of the same calories. (yes I've really compared the supposed nutritional virtues of an apple to fruit loops)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Your small chocolate bars do not have any fibre....a bonus from the apple ;) Eat the skin for even for fibre

They must have some fiber. Cocoa powder (the unsweetened baking powder) is pretty high fiber. Obviously, in a chocolate bar, there's so much fat and sugar that the fiber may not amount to much, but if it has actual cocoa (i.e., not "white chocolate"), it has to have some fiber.

most I have bought have very low fiber, maybe 1 or 2 grams if that. Im sure there are some out there that have decent amounts of fiber,but would probably cost more to buy.dark chocolate has more grams of fiber but the higher the amount of cacao the more bitter it is lol
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Lourdesong wrote: »
    Apples are pretty nutritionally void. They're tasty when in season and smell wonderful, but even their fiber isn't that great. Sugary cereals per serving have the same or more fiber, and less sugar, than an apple of the same calories. (yes I've really compared the supposed nutritional virtues of an apple to fruit loops)

Apples are not nutritionally devoid! If you think that, then all foods are nutritionally devoid.

I said "pretty nutritionally void", and my point was its nutrition profile is not impressive. So why force yourself to eat an apple if doing so if because of a false belief that it is? Eat em if you like em.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I love a good apple. They fill me up! I could eat a jumbo honeycrisp any day of the week. Too bad they're so friggin expensive!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    I just think of apples and honey or apples and caramel

I really like dipping sliced apple in a portion (87 calories) of Tesco's Chocolate & Caramel Spread. That stuff is yummy, think Chocolate covered, Caramel Apple. mmmmmm.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest though... an apple is more filling than chocolate.

I keep wondering why I bother having Greek yogurt instead of, let's say, a cup of chocolate or rice pudding... but again... it's more filling and has better macros for the calories. If my diet consisted of chocolate and pudding, I'd be hungry all the time and would probably gain weight (and man do I have a sweet tooth).
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    An apple alone is not at all filling for me. I'll be ravenous not 5 minutes later. I need to add some kind of a protein and fat to it for it to do anything for me.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    ok, chocolate and strawberries, chocolate and bananas, chocolate and oranges.

Apples, not as much, the nuts would help though. IMO
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    An apple alone is not at all filling for me. I'll be ravenous not 5 minutes later. I need to add some kind of a protein and fat to it for it to do anything for me.
    I usually pair them with nuts or sunflower seeds, or have them after a meal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Apples are pretty filling for me, but I really like to eat them with plain greek yogurt (as a dip), which adds some protein too.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have an apple most days in the afternoon. I find them filling (fiber is what tends to help me feel full). I have chocolate or cocoa powder most days too. If I put anything on my apple, it's usually peanut butter, but I have had chocolate covered apple slices and they're delicious.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Ive never bothered with macros etc since starting (lost 80lb) but now I'm getting closer to goal i feel i need to fuel my body better! But its so dam hard when my favourite biscuit is 100 calorie

why can't you have fruit and your biscuit?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

Apples are actually a really good source of pectin which is a soluble fiber which is more difficult to come by than insoluble fiber and can help with cholesterol issues. In general an apple has about 4.4 grams of fiber which is nothing to shake a stick at and apples carry a variety of antioxidants which are essential to good health. Despite the sugar content, apples are relatively low on the glycemic index and are rich in phytonutrients.

I think you have to look beyond just a couple of basic nutritional markers like sugar or fiber...but again, I also see 4.4 grams of fiber being pretty solid...some cereals might have more but that's because grains are typically high in fiber...but again, I think you have to look beyond just a couple of nutrients.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Apples make me hungrier .... but I do love them with peanut butter