Returning tattoo the pool after decades...

Options
Ordered a swim cap to fit over long hair. Bought goggles, fitted them with prescription lenses. As bracing myself to appear, in public, in a swim suit, still 40 pounds overweight, and age 52, with lipoedma legs. What should I tell myself, so I didn't chicken out?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JFDI....
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    What's your reason for wanting to go back?

Whatever it is, that's what you tell yourself going in.

That, and there's at least one random stranger on the internet who will be expecting an update saying you did it!
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Ordered a swim cap to fit over long hair. Bought goggles, fitted them with prescription lenses. As bracing myself to appear, in public, in a swim suit, still 40 pounds overweight, and age 52, with lipoedma legs. What should I tell myself, so I didn't chicken out?

Just know that sounds like you are going to be your own worst critic. So nothing anyone can say could really be worse.
    Just be selfish and don't really care about them.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    That you are amazing and that you are out there trying.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the pool and worried people are looking at me, I just realise that when I'm at the pool, I'm not worrying about anyone else, and that they're probably doing exactly the same as me.

It's easy to get caught up thinking that you're getting way more attention than you really are (I don't mean that in a bad way), so I try to think about it from their point of view, which is probably that they won't even notice you beyond a glance.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The chances are there will be at least one other self concience person there so you won't be alone. I went back to swimming at a UK size 20, nearly 80lbs overweight a few years back to kick start my weightloss. No one batted an eye lid, go for it what have you got to lose?

P.S. it felt great and at the time I ended up going 3 times a week. It's fallen by the waste side since I changed jobs as the lane swim times clash with my working hours but I wish I could go back. Still looking for a pool with suitable hours :(
  • FlippingFins
    FlippingFins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If it helps, my thinking is always "Once I'm in the pool, I'm barely visible".

I have psoriasis on my foot and I'm 50lbs heavier than I should be. When I walk towards the pool, there is always that sense of "if someone sees my foot they'll worry that I've got an infectious disease!", but the fact is that once you're in the water most of your body is covered and nobody's going to pay you any attention. The actual walk, when people can see you, probably lasts seconds!

Personally, for my own comfort and confidence, I wear knee length aqua shorts over a full length swimming costume, so there really isn't too much of me on display anyway!

And remember that you'll feel more confident in your body shape as time goes on, as long as you keep at it. So, that difficult first visit is probably the least confident you'll feel - and it's all up from there!

I've been 'swimming' (if you can call it that) with my preschooler since January, and it's easy now, though the first few visits did make me feel very self-conscious. Once she starts nursery in September, I have a plan to start going and doing some lane swimming three times a week in the morning, then picking her up from nursery after lunch and taking her back to the pool! Bear in mind that when we started in January, I was doing it all for her. Now, I love it so much that I want to go on my own!
  • FlippingFins
    FlippingFins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    P.S. it felt great and at the time I ended up going 3 times a week. It's fallen by the waste side since I changed jobs as the lane swim times clash with my working hours but I wish I could go back. Still looking for a pool with suitable hours :(

Isn't it ridiculous how hard it is to find a pool that's actually open properly? I struggled a lot. Most 'public pools' only seem to actually have an hour of public swimming time a day, between lessons and classes.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Well, you've made an investment and so can't chicken out. I've been swimming 22 yrs and we see all shapes and sizes. To tell you the truth, it's the fabulous bods that get the looks--not the average person. There are lots of them where I swim, perhaps it's swimming that makes them that way (plus CICO, of course). Swimming is great exercise so enjoy yourself and just think about your workout.
  • kirschkuchen
    kirschkuchen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You're going to feel awesome once you're in the water. Seriously.
    Also: If you start right now, you get to enjoy every single lb you lose and look better each time you go. That's a great feeling.
    Also: You're going to be proud of yourself. Everyone deserves that.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    If it helps, my thinking is always "Once I'm in the pool, I'm barely visible".

This! At 225lbs I swim 2-3 times a week and love it. I hate the walk to the poolside but once I'm in I don't care. Everyone is there for their own reason and kudos to you, you are there for exercise, just like everyone else.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »

Isn't it ridiculous how hard it is to find a pool that's actually open properly? I struggled a lot. Most 'public pools' only seem to actually have an hour of public swimming time a day, between lessons and classes.

Tell me about it! The most local pool has early morning lane swims but I could only get 30min at most and that is with skipping breakfast and running around like an idiot to set off for work on time. It has one hour at a reasonable time on thu nights but this is so busy it isn't enjoyable the rest of the public swims it is half the pool and even busier with playing children. Not worth it as I can't swim at my normal pace. I hope I can find somewhere suitable.