Should I eat more?

Options
Hey guys!

So I just recently started tracking my macros (haha the right way). I've been weighing out my food exactly and scanning labels and found that I've actually been eating less than 1000 calories a day. I know that this isn't recommended but I'm not hungry at the end of the day and I actually eat a large quantity of food but they're all just low calorie (this isn't on purpose, it's just the food I like to eat haha). Should I eat more to reach the amount I should eat? Or is this ok as long as I feel fine? At first I thought I was tracking incorrectly but I think I im doing it right. Any advice is appreciated!! :). Btw: I'm trying to loose some fat and gain muscle.

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to eat more volume, but yes, you should eat more calories. It's extremely difficult to get adequate nutrition on less than 1200 a day, let alone less than 1000. You may be feeling fine now, but eventually it will catch up to you.

Throw in some more calorie dense foods, they can either be nutritious things like nuts, nut butters, oils, avocado etc, or treats. Entirely up to you :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I would recheck your logging and the accuracy of the entries you're using. If that's you in your pic, I highly doubt you've been surviving on less than 1000 cals a day for any length of time.
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would recheck your logging and the accuracy of the entries you're using. If that's you in your pic, I highly doubt you've been surviving on less than 1000 cals a day for any length of time.

How do you know what weight/size/shape she started at?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your fat consumption is dreadfully low - fat is essential for good health. Better to regard the fat goal (like the protein goal) as a minimum rather than something to undercut.

Yes you should eat more, you are risking malnourishment and ill health.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    RoToQ wrote: »

How do you know what weight/size/shape she started at?

Just the impression I got from the post/pic... Meh. No harm in double checking everything - scanned barcodes aren't necessarily accurate.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle, lift heavy, in case you don't already and eat better food, protein, fat and carbs. I looked at your pic, you are not super lean so you either are very very short or the 1000 calories a day is not very accurate, or it's only an occasional thing, or it hasn't been for too long(which is good)
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    gain muscle - usually gaining muscle while eating at a caloric deficit is not possible, especially at 1000 to 1200 level but u should eat .6 to .8g of protein per pound of BW to preserve ur muscle mass since u r lifting.

eating more without volume - u can add more oil for an instant caloric bomb or another easy way is to add one or two tablespoon of chia seeds to whatever u eat. at 70 cal each with healthy dose of iron n calcium n protein n n fiber n good fat (HALLELUJAH!). 4 Tablespoons is 280 calories n u r done!

PS eat them before they get fat with liquid inside so u wont feel like u r eating anything extra :wink: