I just can't lose weight!

Options
I am really struggling to lose any weight. I am the heaviest I have ever been and I am getting so fed up. I need to lose 2 stones. I weighed myself this morning and I had gained 3 pounds since about 2 weeks ago! I do pole fitness and aerial hoop and up until about 3 months ago, this was the only exercise I was doing. Now I try to work out about 5 times a week. There is a gym at my work so I go on my lunch break and then I tend to do a HIIT workout or circuit training after work at home.

I just can't lose the weight. I must admit I do need to improve my calorie counting, I tend to log my breakfast and lunch but then at dinner time I don't bother. I live at home with my parents still so my mum cooks the dinner but she cooks very healthily for us and she is very slim, so I know that my dinners aren't super high in calories or fat.

I have started taking Grenade Thermo Detonator fat burners this week and I have noticed they have improved my workouts but I just can't shift any weight. I know I shouldn't be as heavy as I am, I am only 5 foot 2 and my BMI classes me as overweight. I am getting so fed up, I used to find it relatively easy to lose weight. I am only 27, so I don't believe my age as anything to do with it. I used to do Slimming World, first time around I lost weight easily (just over a stone but that was all I had to lose back then) but 2nd time I tried it which was last year, I kept losing and gaining the same few pounds. Now I am exercising more and I am not losing weight! Help!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You know what you need to do, Calorie count everything you eat.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Agree on quitting the diet pills .... Log, Log, Log .....
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you already identified the problem - you are not counting your calories - start there.
  • cfarrugia90
    cfarrugia90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Log every calorie you put in your mouth. You are short, which means that your calorie burn is lower than many people. In turn, it is easier to out eat your deficit, even with "healthy" food.

Should I always try avoiding eating my deficit then? Some days I just can't help it. I am exercising more so therefore generally, I am more hungry and 1200 cals a day seems so low.
  • cfarrugia90
    Options
    Can I just ask why people are suggesting I quit the pills? They have good reviews and so far I am noticing an improvement with my workouts. The first day I did feel a little sick but I'm on day 3 now and feel fine after taking them. They do help with reducing my appetite too.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    dont be discourage coz u r on the right path but i think u just need to learn to calorie count properly. the number one factor in weight loss is eating at a caloric deficit, meaning u must eat less calories than u burned on a consistent basis. if u r eating correctly and/or exercising then u will lose n the only reason that it is not quite working is because u r most likely still be eating too much (eating healthy is not enough) n exercising cannot catch up to over eating. one hr of intense high impact cadio is only 400 to 500 calories burned in most cases n thats even a big mac or a decent plate of pasta with sauce.

u need to do the following;

1. buy a food scale
    2. set up a profile with an easy goal at first (start with .5 or 1lbs a week for the first 2 weeks to ease ur body into it before u plunge for the more aggressive settings )
    3. only eat back half of what u think u burned at max because the calorie burned in MFP is highly optimistic
    4. join an online challenge (optional)
    5. ditch any non supportive friends
    6. donate all junk foods (ASAP)
    7. dont tell people that u r trying to lose weight coz most will tell u to EAT MORE (smile n ignore them if they do but do not give in coz u have a goal n they dont)
    8. LOG EVERYTHING u eat consistently
    9. google search for recipes if needed

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Eat your deficit.

Start logging all your meals.

Even healthy mom-approved recipes can be over-eaten.

You can log recipes in to MFP as well.
  • cfarrugia90
    Options
    beanz744 wrote: »
    dont be discourage coz u r on the right path but i think u just need to learn to calorie count properly. the number one factor in weight loss is eating at a caloric deficit, meaning u must eat less calories than u burned on a consistent basis. if u r eating correctly and/or exercising then u will lose n the only reason that it is not quite working is because u r most likely still be eating too much (eating healthy is not enough) n exercising cannot catch up to over eating. one hr of intense high impact cadio is only 400 to 500 calories burned in most cases n thats even a big mac or a decent plate of pasta with sauce.

u need to do the following;

1. buy a food scale
    2. set up a profile with an easy goal at first (start with .5 or 1lbs a week for the first 2 weeks to ease ur body into it before u plunge for the more aggressive settings )
    3. only eat back half of what u think u burned at max because the calorie burned in MFP is highly optimistic
    4. join an online challenge (optional)
    5. ditch any non supportive friends
    6. donate all junk foods (ASAP)
    7. dont tell people that u r trying to lose weight coz most will tell u to EAT MORE (smile n ignore them if they do but do not give in coz u have a goal n they dont)
    8. LOG EVERYTHING u eat consistently
    9. google search for recipes if needed

GOOD LUCK!!!

Thank you, there is some really good advice there. I will definitely work on those points.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Can I just ask why people are suggesting I quit the pills? They have good reviews and so far I am noticing an improvement with my workouts. The first day I did feel a little sick but I'm on day 3 now and feel fine after taking them. They do help with reducing my appetite too.

The main ingredient is caffeine I believe. This will give you "energy" as it is a stimulant and many people find it suppresses their appetite.

As far as fat burning goes, no legal pills work.
  • cfarrugia90
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »

"fat burners" arent really that at all. Most are just caffeine and some form of diuretic. That just flushes fluid out of your system and causes you to lose a couple of pounds of water weight- which you;ll likely put back on once you're hydrated again. Too much caffeine/other diuretics can cause dehydration and potentially heart issues if you take enough of them.

Thank you for your advice. I do think I pretty much bought them because I was starting to feel desperate for something to help me.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

The main ingredient is caffeine I believe. This will give you "energy" as it is a stimulant and many people find it suppresses their appetite.

As far as fat burning goes, no legal pills work.

Caffeine, synephrene, and more caffeine...
    https://www.amazon.com/Grenade-Detonator-Powerful-Thermogenic-Capsules/dp/B0055G4PO6
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Log every calorie you put in your mouth. You are short, which means that your calorie burn is lower than many people. In turn, it is easier to out eat your deficit, even with "healthy" food.

Should I always try avoiding eating my deficit then? Some days I just can't help it. I am exercising more so therefore generally, I am more hungry and 1200 cals a day seems so low.

You know you should be eating at least some of the exercise calories back right (start with 50% if you're using the MFP database to work out calories burned)? 1200 calories is your net total.

This is how MFP is set up:
    NEAT-Calorie Deficit (calulated based on your stats and chosen weightloss rate) + Calories Burned through Exercise = Calorie Goal

For example if you burned 200 calories through exercise, MFP will adjust your calorie goal to 1400 for the day. If you determined that by using the MFP database eat around 1300 for the day.

Like others have said accurate logging, particularly if you are short is imperative to losing weight. Weigh and log all your food, even mum's "healthy" cooking can make you gain/maintain if the calories take you to or over your maintenance calories.
  • cfarrugia90
    Options
    This is how MFP is set up:
    NEAT-Calorie Deficit (calulated based on your stats and chosen weightloss rate) + Calories Burned through Exercise = Calorie Goal

For example if you burned 200 calories through exercise, MFP will adjust your calorie goal to 1400 for the day. If you determined that by using the MFP database eat around 1300 for the day.

Like others have said accurate logging, particularly if you are short is imperative to losing weight. Weigh and log all your food, even mum's "healthy" cooking can make you gain/maintain if the calories take you to or over your maintenance calories.

I use a Fitbit and I also have an Apple Watch, these are both linked to My Fitness Pal. I don't really take the calories from my Fitbit too seriously as the calories burned on that also takes into account my calories burned through resting. I go by my Apple Watch because it has a heart rate monitor so I trust the calorie burn ion that is more reliable.
  • cfarrugia90
    Options
    I use a Fitbit and I also have an Apple Watch, these are both linked to My Fitness Pal. I don't really take the calories from my Fitbit too seriously as the calories burned on that also takes into account my calories burned through resting. I go by my Apple Watch because it has a heart rate monitor so I trust the calorie burn ion that is more reliable.