No grains

Options
Looking for a support group that is also interested in removing grains from their meal plans.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you want to eliminate grains?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Yes ... I'm wondering why a person would do this.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Paleo style diets have no real benefits. They only work if you create a calorie deficit.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    OP, whatever your reasons, whole 30 or paleo might be your best bet, but they might have more restrictions than you want. If your choice helps you maintain your calorie goal and you enjoy the foods, there is nothing wrong with it.
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm doing what they call Paleo 2.0. Dairy is fine as long as you don't have an intolerance. I've cut out grains, legumes, sugars and any highly processed food. I'm not 100% strict on it and managed to lose around 30 pounds over the course of a year, eating until I was full. Now I'm using MFP to restrict the calories and losing even more weight.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Can I ask why you want to eliminate grains?

This. Whole grains are a big part of my woe and they help me achieve me weight management goals, as well as my good health. I can't imagine cutting them out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't eat grains that often, but I never did so didn't find it hard to remove them (basically I just don't bother adding bread, rice, or pasta to meals). Lots of people in the low carb group (linked above) don't eat them, but you can low carb and eat some, and some do. Paleo is about not eating grains (but also legumes and dairy), so there's that.

Assuming you have good reason and don't just think it's required for everyone's health or to lose weight, what are you finding challenging about it? IME, most recipes/meals don't involve grains anyway, unless you affirmatively want them to.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I don't think there are any groups that specific. But do a group search for Paleo, Low carb, or Keto - there are dozens.

@tjsuntken05 I agree with what @Noel_57 posted above.

When I decided to cut out all forms of all grains Oct 2014 I found my main problem was I had to first stop denying I was a carb addict in the worse of ways at the age of 63. Three years later after a hellish first two weeks my health is in recovery mode with a side effect of natural weight loss and maintenance.

I was surprised to experience the benefits of cutting out the grains on my physical and mental health.

Best of success and do not let others steal your health goals in life. I am nearly three years into my new Way Of Eating and learning more daily as my health markers keep improving.
  • catj518
    catj518 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did paleo a few years ago. I only did it for 3 months and I would allow myself cheat days every once in a while to have a slice of toast or baked potato or something but I lost 30 lbs in that 3 months. There are a few things I absolutely refuse to give up though and that's cheese, coffee creamer, and chocolate. I stopped paleo because I had someone staying with me that wasn't helping with groceries and I just couldn't afford it at that time. I'm weaning myself back on paleo and finding it harder to resist the sweets like cookies, cheesecake, pies.. and my fiance isn't doing paleo so when he orders a pizza, it's hard to resist. Well, this past week, I let myself slip and didn't do any paleo meals and I am feeling the effects. I'm sore, I'm tired, feeling down, moody.. for me, that is enough of a reason to give up grains.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    th?id=OIP.A9d89YveJLNyD9EyjimY0QEsEs&w=169&h=169&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.05&pid=1.7