What I've Learned in 500 days of logging

Options
SisterSueGetsFit
SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
edited May 2017 in Success Stories
500 days is a big milestone for me! I've said it before, but I'll say it again. This is without a doubt one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. Here are a few things I've learned in the past 500 days.

* First and foremost, Weight loss is not linear. I've lost, I've gained, I've maintained, I've gained more and I've lost more. This process involves a lot of patience.

* losing weight and looking better will not fix your life.

* there is no magic pill, shake, wrap or combinations of food you should or shouldn't eat. (this is not meant to offend any of my friends who sell these products, this is MY story). You MUST eat less and you MUST move more.

* Weighing every bit of food I put in my mouth is essential for success. Is it a pain in the *kitten*? Sometimes, yes. Is it worth it? Absolutely.

* Everything I do is a choice. Everything I eat or drink is a choice. Some days I make good choices and some days I make bad choices. In the end the only person in control of those choices is me.

* One bad meal, one bad day or one bad month does not equate failure. Do better the next day.

* It's a complete mind *kitten*. Most of the time I have a hard time not still seeing a fat girl when I look in the mirror.

* You have to want to do it for you. Wanting it for any other reason/person will never work.

* Don't give up, because you are worth it.

* It IS possible.

What have you learned?

Replies

• jenwalkingfurther
    jenwalkingfurther Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Well done! I think we started at around the same time and although I have been stalled for about 6 months following losing 24lbs, it's inspiring to see where your dedication has gotten you! Thank you
  • sherryzm24
    sherryzm24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Touche!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This is great! 500 days is ALSO great!
    - I have learned getting down on myself about the number on the scale isn't being a good role model for my kids.
    - I have also learned the concept of weight loss is not linear!
    Thanks for this!!!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    I would just add a couple of observations from my meagre 136 days:
    • Fad Diets are just an unnecesarily extreme forms of CICO tied up in an expensive bow
    • Educating myself on the science behind the numbers was a lightbulb moment. It's not EASY but it is SIMPLE.
    • Using the MFP community for support (giving and receiving) and accountability has made a massive amount of difference to me - supporting others who are where I was before and watching the success of other friends in my newsfeed (like yourself) is an inspiration.

You killed it with "it's not easy but it simple." Forgot that one!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    You look fantastic! Well done! I think we started at around the same time and although I have been stalled for about 6 months following losing 24lbs, it's inspiring to see where your dedication has gotten you! Thank you

I've been stalled at 50 pounds for quite some time and recently gained about 6 following laziness and a vacation. Don't worry about it! 24 hounds is incredible and something that very few people achieve. Just keep that in mind. You're doing great, keep going!
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! Dedication and persistence is key!!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    One I haven't seen mentioned -

Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss. It's all about eating fewer calories in a day than your body uses. However, if you choose to exercise, find something you LIKE! If you hate jogging, and think the only way you can lose weight is to jog, you'll never succeed.

BINGO! Another one I missed, thank you.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This post I am going to bookmark to give me motivation in times when I need it, I only started my weightloss journey on the 16th January this year (121 days), I have a long way to go yet, I have lost some, usually 1-2 lbs per week, I have learnt so much and I am still learning, I have tried dieting before and only lasted a few weeks, a month or 2 if I was more dedicated, this is the longest I have stuck with it and it was because of 1 piece of very very good advice, my doctor told me: "See it as a lifestyle change, a healthy one, if you see it as a diet you will think of all the foods you cannot have and chances are you'll fail, besides diet has die in it (she said jokingly), seeing it as a lifestyle change or leading a healthier lifestyle you will think more long term and incorporate much loved foods into your daily calories without feeling like your bring naughty" and its so true, I have followed that advice and still do, I have switched a few things like no butter/spread on toast, cheddar cheese to cottage cheese, rice, pasta and bread to brown, fried eggs to poached or boiled, crisps (potato chips if not UK) for popcorn, basically anything I usually have I have switched to lower calorie versions or just eat less of, like before I could easily eat a 150g bag of potato chips that were just under 800 calories without even thinking now if I want that bag of potato chips I will split into half or 1/4 and spread that bag out over 2-4 days also routine is everything.
    I also found that those meal replacement shakes (slim fast or cheaper alternatives) help a lot, I have one at lunch time with half a banana or some carrot sticks, I like to make sure I have all the protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals my body needs, it helps me as I am working with a tight money budget.

This is just what has helped me... it may not work for everyone.
  • WicklowWanderer
    WicklowWanderer Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yep, all of the above. I've been logging for 674 days- I lost 30 pounds and have another 10-15 to go but have been stuck since about day 150. The plateau drove me nuts at first but I no longer let it worry or concern me. This is my life now- regular exercise most days (light to intense cardio hiit, roller derby and weights) and better food choices (most of the time!) while continuing to weigh and log. I feel better, look better and have energy. If I eventually lose more, great, if I don't, so be it.
  • lorinoye
    lorinoye Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That is so inspiring! I'm only 81 days in, but that's so much longer than I've ever stuck to a diet.

I've learned that motivation is key. Having both short-term and long-term goals is absolutely necessary. Long-term goals are great to keep in sight, but it can be frustrating to work for weeks or months and not achieve them. If you have short-term goals that you can achieve every few weeks or months will keep you motivated and happy. My short-term goal is to look great in the dress I bought for a wedding in June. My long-term goal is

I've also learned to see past the appeal of food to it's true nature. Sure a giant bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup and sprinkles sounds amazing and would no doubt taste great, but is it worth ruining your entire day's calorie count for 10 minutes of enjoyment? I could have a huge serving of roasted veggies for half the calories.
  • adriannenan
    adriannenan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    SO MUCH TRUTH!

70 days down for me and while definitely not easy, absolutely worth it.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    @dolcemaria81 read this, especially the original post.

This whole thread is awesome! My logging looks totally different than when I started in 2012... And that's why my results are different now (actually losing). But it's taken me a long time to fully learn these things.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!