Strained Calf Muscle

mhwitt74
mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
I recently strained a calf muscle while working around the farm. I tried to go for my jog yesterday and about a mile in the pain came back, hard. Looking for advice on how long I need to let it rest before running again and also alternatives for calorie burn that doesn't include the leg muscles.

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Calf injuries can become nagging and potentially chronic if not allowed to heal completely, then strengthened with exercises such as calf raises before resuming an activity like running. I've learned this the hard way....twice.

You may be able to return after a short break of several days, but depending on the severity of the strain, you might need 6 to 8 weeks to recover. The key is not to resume running too soon once the pain is gone. Several alternatives come to mind as alternatives. I've used both an elliptical machine and cycling pain during my recovery. If you really want to stay away from any leg muscle use, you could swim in a pool and use a pull buoy to keep your legs immobilized. Good luck.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    lol, should have typed "cycling without pain"
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    mhwitt74 wrote: »
    Looking for advice on how long I need to let it rest before running again

Until there is zero pain when running. If you're able to walk with little or no pain, you're probably looking at 3-4 weeks before you can do short runs. Muscles heal best with frequent, light stretching/movement, and also warmth. Avoid any movements that hurt.

Alternatives to burn calories? Consume fewer calories. :+1:
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Calf injuries can become nagging and potentially chronic if not allowed to heal completely, then strengthened with exercises such as calf raises before resuming an activity like running. I've learned this the hard way....twice.

You may be able to return after a short break of several days, but depending on the severity of the strain, you might need 6 to 8 weeks to recover. The key is not to resume running too soon once the pain is gone. Several alternatives come to mind as alternatives. I've used both an elliptical machine and cycling pain during my recovery. If you really want to stay away from any leg muscle use, you could swim in a pool and use a pull buoy to keep your legs immobilized. Good luck.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I rested it for a few days and apparently wasn't enough. Going to take it easy for a week or so and ease back into it.