Fear of carbs!

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of carbs.... They really are lovely! And they can be helpful and lots of fun :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    nichell88 wrote: »
    define a ton of protein? (because I take in 130g a day and don't sacrifice carbs

cheese isn't going to help you on carbs - that is fat and protein

if you want straight carbs - then something like fruit or potato are pretty much all carbs and you can easily adjust the amount you eat (dried apricots are my go-to)

If you are adding calories for maintenance - keep your same protein/fat amounts and then just add carbs

@deannalfisher I know the cheese is protein, that was my point. Not sure you understood my last post and what I was trying to say. I eat 180-200g of protein daily

Why so much protein?
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've lost and maintained without limiting carbs at all, just calories. It is scary when your calories first go up at maintenance, especially if you've been on a long hard road to reach goal weight anyway. I found I actually continued to lose at first in maintenance based on MFP levels, so gradually upped the calories a little at a time as I was looking too old and scrawny! Now I use a tape measure and if anything is too tight I check my measurements, and ease the calories down a bit till everything is comfy again. But I still weigh pasta, cereal, cheese etc as I know how easy it is for those portions to creep up.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    define a ton of protein? (because I take in 130g a day and don't sacrifice carbs

if you want straight carbs - then something like fruit or potato are pretty much all carbs and you can easily adjust the amount you eat (dried apricots are my go-to)

If you are adding calories for maintenance - keep your same protein/fat amounts and then just add carbs

@deannalfisher I know the cheese is protein, that was my point. Not sure you understood my last post and what I was trying to say. I eat 180-200g of protein daily

you shouldn't need to increase your protein though...I honestly don't understand your post (kind of like I had issues understanding your one from a couple weeks ago on a very similar topic - carb cycling and maintenance)

@deannalfisher So what I was trying to get at was this...you'd suggested upping my carbs by 10g or 20g to start with. The issue with that is that that would not be enough to account for the 300 calorie a day increase i need for maintenance. So to make up that difference, i could theoretically add more of the foods I'm already eating (i.e-the string cheese, which is high in protein), but I agree with my RD that it would make more sense to up the carbs more. It's just hard to see that number so "high". It's all mental
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    So just to warn you--you might gain a few pounds of water weight when you add more carbs to your diet. Your weight will not keep climbing, though. I'm sure you can google the scientific explanation, but when you eat very low carb, you are less bloated than when you eat some carbs. So if you go up a pound or two, don't worry too much!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

you shouldn't need to increase your protein though...I honestly don't understand your post (kind of like I had issues understanding your one from a couple weeks ago on a very similar topic - carb cycling and maintenance)

She's saying it's hard to increase carbs slowly because she has to raise her calories and the only place in her diet she can easily increase her calories is by increasing her carbs which is freaking her out.

OP, can you increase your calories slowly as well? Unless there is a health issue you are concerned about, increase carbs and therefore calories slowly, a little more every week until you get to maintenance. Are you able to not really look at your macro totals, just kind of gloss over them for a couple of weeks?
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

She's saying that she's having issues SEEING the number of carbs she's eating on her diary. There's no issue with actually eating them.

Sorry OP, I don't have any advice other than it'll be weird until you get used to seeing those numbers popping up in your diary - but if you do it and don't gain weight eventually your brain will catch up with the plan :) Good luck!
  • nichell88
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

She's saying it's hard to increase carbs slowly because she has to raise her calories and the only place in her diet she can easily increase her calories is by increasing her carbs which is freaking her out.

OP, can you increase your calories slowly as well? Unless there is a health issue you are concerned about, increase carbs and therefore calories slowly, a little more every week until you get to maintenance. Are you able to not really look at your macro totals, just kind of gloss over them for a couple of weeks?

@kimny72 omg, you've got it perfectly! Thank you, I'm so glad you understand. That's a good suggestion; I guess my concern would be is that I really don't want to lose too much more weight in the process, which I know is probable anyway, but I'm trying to avoid that. In hindsight, I should've started maintenance a bit earlier. But I do think a gradual transition like you laid out would be helpful.
  • nichell88
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    So just to warn you--you might gain a few pounds of water weight when you add more carbs to your diet. Your weight will not keep climbing, though. I'm sure you can google the scientific explanation, but when you eat very low carb, you are less bloated than when you eat some carbs. So if you go up a pound or two, don't worry too much!

@storyjorie thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It's completely irrational...carbs are just one of three macro nutrients...there are numerous sources of highly nutritious carbohydrates and if you look at the blue zones of the world, they eat diets relatively high in carbohydrates and they are some of the healthiest populations in the world.

Carbohydrate fear mongering is out of control.

Note that as you increase carbohydrates, you will hold onto more water and will also replenish glycogen which will show up on the scale...but it's not fat, it's fluids. Also, 130-140 carbs is still technically low carb.
  • nichell88
    Options

She's saying that she's having issues SEEING the number of carbs she's eating on her diary. There's no issue with actually eating them.

Sorry OP, I don't have any advice other than it'll be weird until you get used to seeing those numbers popping up in your diary - but if you do it and don't gain weight eventually your brain will catch up with the plan :) Good luck!

@Squidgeypaws007 thank you! I think you're right, I think it's going to take some time and patience on my part. It's just tough in the meantime
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

@deannalfisher So what I was trying to get at was this...you'd suggested upping my carbs by 10g or 20g to start with. The issue with that is that that would not be enough to account for the 300 calorie a day increase i need for maintenance. So to make up that difference, i could theoretically add more of the foods I'm already eating (i.e-the string cheese, which is high in protein), but I agree with my RD that it would make more sense to up the carbs more. It's just hard to see that number so "high". It's all mental

I too am having a hard time understanding the real problem, but then again, I went into weight loss with the attitude of not cutting anything out (other than calories) and so didn't eat in a way while losing weight that would be any different than how I would eat during maintenance. Also, adding in 300 cals/day really isn't that much. That's a serving of ice cream, or a bagel with breakfast, a baked potato with dinner, or a couple handfuls of nuts. Cooking with full fat ingredients. Larger portions of something that you really enjoy but were limiting while cutting.
  • nichell88
    Options
    @cwolfman13 I know it's not rational, Im pretty sure I even said that a number of times. I'm not sure if you think you're being helpful but you're not at all. You actually didn't even address the issue i put forth. Construction would be more helpful, or silence
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 I know it's not rational, Im pretty sure I even said that a number of times. I'm not sure if you think you're being helpful but you're not at all. You actually didn't even address the issue i put forth. Construction would be more helpful, or silence

Well, I warned you that you might jump a few pounds...I'd think that's helpful. I informed you that some of the healthiest populations in the world eat a diet rich in carbohydrates...when I found that out, I personally found it helpful when I had my own irrational fear of carbs....

Have a nice day.
  • nichell88
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I too am having a hard time understanding the real problem, but then again, I went into weight loss with the attitude of not cutting anything out (other than calories) and so didn't eat in a way while losing weight that would be any different than how I would eat during maintenance. Also, adding in 300 cals/day really isn't that much. That's a serving of ice cream, or a bagel with breakfast, a baked potato with dinner, or a couple handfuls of nuts. Cooking with full fat ingredients. Larger portions of something that you really enjoy but were limiting while cutting.

@WinoGelato I didn't take anything out when losing weight either. And that's the plan, I'm adding fruit to my diet. Read some of the other commenters, they understood where I was coming from and probably explained it better than I did
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

@WinoGelato I didn't take anything out when losing weight either. And that's the plan, I'm adding fruit to my diet. Read some of the other commenters, they understood where I was coming from and probably explained it better than I did

You obviously restricted carbohydrates in a way that the idea of adding more of them into your diet transitioning to maintenance is causing you anxiety...
  • conkle23
    conkle23 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about it too much. I would say as long as you stay under 150g of carbs you should be good. I try and stay under 100g but some days do not get to do that. I have start on my 180 day challenge. I am on day 6 and I have lost 13 lbs. I think you got this!!!!!
  • nichell88
    Options
    conkle23 wrote: »
    I would not worry about it too much. I would say as long as you stay under 150g of carbs you should be good. I try and stay under 100g but some days do not get to do that. I have start on my 180 day challenge. I am on day 6 and I have lost 13 lbs. I think you got this!!!!!

I do not want to worry about it, i can't help it. Like I said, i know logically that I am not eating too many carbs, so I'm not worried that I am, it just freaks me out to see the number so high after being low carb for months.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You could change your diary settings so that you don't see the number of carbs if that's causing you anxiety.
    (Switched off all macros in this example....)

ggnohb9xxw4r.png

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    that makes more sense - but not obvious at least to me in reading...slowly raise your calories for maintaince (so you can actually determine your maintenance) would be your best bet - start small - 20g carbs is 80cal, do that for a week, then add another 20g until you get to the 300 that you need to get to (or until you determine maintance)