HIIT

Options
Just wondering how would you log a HIIT workout? TIA

Replies

• mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've wondered myself. I usually just log as aerobics, high impact.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I would just log it as high intensity.
    Most people don't push themselves hard enough to be considered a HIIT. Not saying you, but in general.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Describe precisely what your HIIT actually workout is - that would get you some suggestions.

HIIT describes an intensity level, not an exercise.
  • emmaD3854
    emmaD3854 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm doing cardio like mountain climbers high knees burpees those kind of things
  • sijomial
    Options
    emmaD3854 wrote: »

That's not HIIT.
    Log duration of your workout as calisthenics (in CV section of your diary) would be my suggestion.
  • VI2Indy
    VI2Indy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mountain climbers, burpees aren't considered HIIT? Several rounds of 30-40 seconds work, followed by rest, along with an elevated heart rate isn't HIIT? Could someone explain this?
  • sijomial
    Options
    VI2Indy wrote: »
    Mountain climbers, burpees aren't considered HIIT? Several rounds of 30-40 seconds work, followed by rest, along with an elevated heart rate isn't HIIT? Could someone explain this?
    @VI2Indy
    It's got to be far harder intensity than "elevated heart rate". Looking for short burst of cardio activity pushing into anaerobic (maximal) intensity alternating with periods of recovery.

I did 65 minutes of interval training on an indoor bike today with the high intensity intervals pushing my aerobic threshold. It was hard, my heart rate was very elevated but it also absolutely wasn't a HIIT workout.

It's a recent fashion to label all interval or circuit style training as HIIT.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    What are your targets for the intervals? I'm not sure if a workout can be HIIT if there's no answer to that question.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Burpees might count... Might.. but 4probably not.

High Intensity Interval Training

20-30 seconds of Max effort. followed by 60-90 seconds of rest.

2 ways to do it...
    1. tabata style
    2. Aerobic style

1 involves 5-6 series of an exercise at max effort followed by a rest of twice the time
    2 involve using an HRM.. getting your HR to 85-90% of max and keeping it there for 20-30 seconds followed by a recovery period that takes as long as it takes to get your HR back down to 50%... keeping it there for 45-60 seconds.. and repeating for as many cycles as you can fit into 20-30 minutes..

If you do 2, you will probably puke at first
  • emmaD3854
    emmaD3854 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

That's not HIIT.
    Log duration of your workout as calisthenics (in CV section of your diary) would be my suggestion.

HIIT can be any work out as long as it is high intensity intervals

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

That's not HIIT.

HIIT can be any work out as long as it is high intensity intervals

High intensity meaning c98% maximum heart rate. You're very unlikely to get that from circuit training.