Winter is coming and my motivation is waning

Options
Hey all

So winter is coming in my corner of the world. While all you northern hemisphere folk are enjoying the dawn of spring, us down in the southern hemisphere are embarking for the winter.

With the weather getting colder and the days getting shorter, I'm finding that this is really having an impact on my motivation to stay away from sweets and go to the gym.

The buildings are cold, damp, and drafty (not many buildings in New Zealand are well-insulated), so I spend much of my work day huddled over my computer with a jacket and hot mug of coffee. When I leave work and face the cold, I just want to go home and get to my pjs. The idea of going back out again to go to the gym (and to walk home from the gym in the cold and dark - the sun sets by 6pm now) seems dreadful. I also find myself gravitating more towards carby and sweet things, which is derailing my motivation to continue eating at a deficit. Eating chicken and veggies doesn't stick to my ribs as much as eating pasta, pizza, and bready things. I'm personally quite sensitive to the cold, so I feel this hits me worse than most people.

My question to all of you - how do you stay motivated once winter hits? How do you manage those sugar/carb cravings and motivate yourself to brave the cold to go to the gym?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Were coming off one of our longest wettest darkest winter's in history. For me it's better to go to the gym than sit around the house. I don't keep the Carby sweet stuff in the house so I can't eat it. Also view it as an opportunity o learn portion control on these foods, a new step in your journey. I like to make lots of different soups in the winter. You've already established good habits, why not keep doing them? You don't have to "feel motivated." Just follow your sane plan.
  • GeorgiePie88
    GeorgiePie88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I agree that going to the gym is better than staying in. I learned a trick to take the bus straight to the gym after work, without stopping by at my house. If I stop at home first, I'll feel tempted to stay in.

The portion control thing is pretty tricky for me - this should be something that I can focus on
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    I'm stopping at the gym right after university on Mondays these days. That helps. :)

And getting out in the daylight hours on the weekends for long periods of time also helps.

Plus I've got exercise equipment at home so I don't have to go anywhere to exercise if I don't want to.
  • GeorgiePie88
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Totally agree, Machka9. I've started taking the bus straight to the gym after work (without going home first). It's a minor inconvenience to have to carry all of my stuff with me to work, but I'm so much more likely to go! And the walk home after the gym isn't too cold as I would have already burned up a sweat.

Now only to get this eating junk under control!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,083 Member
    Options
    Seenit as an opportunity to put your will power to the test.
    Stick to your plan and be more strict with it.

I also found vitamin D helped my through winter months. The lack of this makes me feel low in mood!

As for feeling cold. I feel your pain. I'm very sensitive to it too!
    Just wrap up more!
  • krashyman
    krashyman Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hibernate! JJ, and I know how you feel. Each winter, my motivation wanes and the weight comes back for me until spring. This past winter, I decided to add something new to my routine in early November. For me, it was two personal training sessions per week. Got me through the cold months with less-than-usual winter weight gain. Maybe try something different from your normal routine and plan to do it for the next 3-4 months? (Could be a new workout routine, a new eating plan, or something else that is new to you.) Or, eat a bunch of salmon and then sleep in a cave until spring!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Embrace the changing seasons. I try very much for this to be my philosophy. In spring I eat lots of berries, asparagus and other spring foods. In summer lots of salads and generally cooler foods. In the fall and winter, I go for warming hardy foods like soups and stews. The summer is sometimes the hardest time to workout especially when it is hot and humid. In the winter a good workout can warm you up and really get the blood flowing again. Embrace the season you are in, the next will come along soon enough.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Eat pot roast, pork tenderloin, and roasted root veggies--they are fabulous for winter. Make squash soup. Wear layers to the office, in particularly finely-knit merino wool sweaters with a chunkier knit Border Leicester sweater or vest over the top. Invest in some lovely and fabulous knit cowls and scarves. Buy winter workout wear and go running and biking if the temp is above freezing. Do 30 Day Shred or a bodyweight program at home, or alternate jump rope (you don't actually need to use a rope) with jumping jacks. I live in northern Indiana and winter is when you need to start getting hard core!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Very descriptive OP, I felt your pain.

If winter understandably affects you that way, then perhaps accept the reality of a lower activity level and double down on your calorie counting as your primary goal. I've lost 45lbs this year just from diet alone.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like snowshoeing, which gets me moving and out of the house. Also I still run after work, even though it's dark. My motivation is to simply keep up with my exercise routine. I don't enjoy being cold either, but I enjoy being fat and unfit even more, so I focus on how good I feel after a workout. Sugar has never been a big problem with me, carbs on the other hand, I love pizza, pasta, pretzels, beer, bread and chips. I cut out gluten a few months ago so that took care of a major part of my dietary weaknesses.

Have you thought about getting a treadmill or some other piece of equipment? I have an old NordicTrack ski machine and I'll pop in a DVD and crank out a workout.

I love kiwis.
  • phumy_healthyhabits
    phumy_healthyhabits Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Here I am having conversations with myself about how will I make it through this winter. I have no drive to go running, but did just take out my home workout DVDs. I'm really trying to motivate myself, it's Wednesday and I haven't done any form of exercise.
    I found custard to be my saving Grace in winter. I use fat free milk and sweetner and it sorts out that need to have something warm and sweet
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You might try a sunlamp if winter affects you that severely. I purchased a pretty cheap one (app. $100 US) and it definitely helps my energy and mood during the season.
  • GeorgiePie88
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone! I really like the idea about embracing the seasons - making more healthy fall-themed foods sounds really nice. I'm feeling that since I've started piling on the layers, I've been feeling much better (wow, big surprise there - but it definitely works). I wear an almost-absurd amount of layers - tights under pants with socks, etc. I am also lifting a lot more now, so I feel that's helping keeping me warm after I leave the gym and walk home in the cold, rainy nights