Pizza for dinner help...

Options
Okay I've been doing pretty well eating better, but i'm meeting a friend for tomorrow night for dinner and she just wants to pick up a pizza and have some drinks. Any tips or tricks without breaking my diet? types of pizza that are better for you, Eat something before I go, save up most of my calories? work out extra long tomorrow?

Pizza is a weakness of mine and I haven't had it since the 2nd day of starting this diet (tomorrow is day 26) and if it's sitting there I know I'll eat more than 2 pieces. I'm also going out friday night but know the healthier dish i'm getting from there. I'm worried I'll eat it and be disappointed this week if the scale doesn't go down.

Replies

• CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've decided to wait until I've lost 30 pounds before I "treat" myself to pizza... but, since you have no choice, I say workout hard... double your workout and eat less during the day.

I'm not sure about "better for you pizza types" but I think anything you get you should swab the grease off of with a napkin before you bite!

Have fun... this is not a restrictive life, this is a healthy life!
  • jinkies54
    jinkies54 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know this will sound crazy...but I'm used to it by now: I just hate cheese. When I have pizza, I have no cheese on it. You take away the meet, (maybe except for chicken)...you have a healthier option.
  • vivalawvegas
    vivalawvegas Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Eat lightly for breakfast and lunch, eliminate snacks for the day, workout longer than normal, drink lots of water to combat the sodium, order a salad with your meal, and don't weigh yourself for 3 days. I always have post-pizza bloat for a few days but it's never a "true" gain.
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Veggie pizza-- thin crust will make it even lighter. Papa Johns Garden Vegetable Pizza is 220 calories per slice for thin crust (large), 280 calories for regular crust (also large)-- so you can definitely have a few slices without destroying your calorie goals, especially if you get a great workout in earlier in the day. Other veggie pizzas will be similar in calories, so this gives you a general guideline. I have eaten pizza on a fairly regular basis all the way through my time using MFP!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Whenever we have pizza, we always have a salad with it, plus another veggie. This way I can eat one or two pieces, feel full, and nit feel guilty at all.
  • danckuntz
    danckuntz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1. Thin crust pizza has less calories
    2. Save up calories when you know pizza is coming
  • kristenherrera
    kristenherrera Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'd say definitely go for thin crust, lots of veggies and the last time I 'splurged' on pizza I took one piece sliced it all to smaller pieces and put it on top of a big salad. That way I got alot more pizza taste for my calories. Do you happen to have a Papa Murphy's anywhere near you? They have really good De-Lite options for pizza
  • Jthurston1
    Jthurston1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that some rest. Have a thin crust pizza that appears to automatically b less calories!! Go for a veggie pizza - skipping the meat will def. Help cut calories! What about having a salad before the pizza...maybe it'll help fill you up! Good luck!!
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it...do your workout, have your snacks, and maybe eat a salad before the pizza, plenty of water....i wouldn't do any alcohol if I was going to treat myself to pizza, but that's up to you. Also if you're still pretty hungry before you have your slice try two slices, but instead of both of the crusts...scrape the toppings from one slice onto the other...Good luck and enjoy!:bigsmile:
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    veggie cheeseless thin crust (do they have whole wheat?) Yum.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a salad to go with the pizza and insted of getting the meat pizza get a pizza with some veggies on it. Also, would your friend be upset if you guys ordered a small with a big salad and split it? I would also work out a little more and maybe take it easy on calories if you think you can throughout the day - but don't starve yourself or you may be so hungry when you get there that you just eat and eat because you are straving. Good Luck!!
  • NeverStopRunning
    Options
    I have pizza every week...no problem! Pizza is healthy and you don't have to go over board. Thin crust, lots of veggies - limit yourself to two slices and have a side salad. Most places even have multi grain now. I'm sure you can fit it right in to your calorie goals.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    I am really enjoying Paul Newman's thin crust pizza. Satisfies me and is not too filling when I have that pizza craving.
    Good luck!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Thinnest crust you can get, Hawaiian is actually a good option (pineapple and ham) and go easy on the cheese, and/or load it with veggies!

Drink water too!!

We LOVE pizza in my house and probably eat it once a week. We've just gotten better at making our own and picking thin crust options when out.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Personally... I love pizza and have refused to give up things I enjoy. I've been making my own (so I can control what is on them) with wholemeal pizza bases and lots of veggies. If that's not an option for you... maybe try having a salad or some veggies before your friend arrives, so that when she gets there you're already quite full and will only be able to squeeze in the two slices. Sitting there eating the salad WHILE she's sitting in front of you eating the pizza is really hard - so if you do it beforehand you won't feel like you're missing out.

Or do some extra exercise to allow yourself to indulge - chances are after eating such greasy food after having almost a month off it you'll not be feeling great anyway. I've found that I don't enjoy the things I used to love as much because they don't sit well in my stomach anymore.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    A vegetarian pizza will save you a lot on the fat (think of how much grease is dripping off the sausage and pepperoni). Definitely avoid Chicago and any other stuffed pizza.

You can always request a salad along side, eat 1 or two pieces of pizza (even a plain cheese pizza, 1 slice, won't kill your diet) and fill up on salad.
  • Nswilk
    Nswilk Posts: 27
    Options
    I love pizza to and love lots of toppings. I had a tough lesson this weekend when I ate pizza at 640 calories a slice and I had no clue. Yet even a single topping piece of pizza can top over 300 calories. I would say you do not want to starve yourself that day it will only make you hungry and give you the opportunity to overindulge on the pizza. I would recommend just eat half of what you normally eat. If you go over that is fine, but your going over with the knowledge that you have still limited your intake.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Besides this month, because kids are on vacation...my kids have dubbed every other Tuesday "Pizza night", usually the Tuesday night that their Daddy isn't working (my hubby works a rotating shift). I do not always go over...I keep it it at one or two slices..depending on what else we have having with it. You just have to limit yourself...I could easily eat half a pizza if I were not watching what I eat. We usually get thin crust.
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I would go with eating lighter in the day, thin crust (papa john's thin crust rocks!) and a heavy work out with lots of water...you will be fine it is just one day :)
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Veggie pizza-- thin crust will make it even lighter. Papa Johns Garden Vegetable Pizza is 220 calories per slice for thin crust (large), 280 calories for regular crust (also large)-- so you can definitely have a few slices without destroying your calorie goals, especially if you get a great workout in earlier in the day. Other veggie pizzas will be similar in calories, so this gives you a general guideline. I have eaten pizza on a fairly regular basis all the way through my time using MFP!

You can also ask them to do "light" cheese ~ not low cal but just less than they normally put on the pizza. Also, like others have suggested, eat a green leafy salad & drink lots of water! Good luck!