Carbs, sheesh!

Options
12346»

Replies

• crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    FaatSara wrote: »
    People telling you to forget about counting carbs are wrong. First of all, we all process carbs different. Second, carbs from good sources (fruit, whole grains, etc) are fine. The more fiber the better. Processed breads and cereals aren't that great when trying to diet. Like someone said above "Nutrition is a very individual science." See what works for you. Personally, I am gluten intolerant but even high carb items that are gluten free weigh me down and make me feel like crap. Carbs from fruits and veggies give me so much energy.

I lost 50lbs and improved all my health markers, including normalizing a high glucose number, while eating all sorts of carbs-including those from processed breads and cereals. Been maintaining the loss and better health for over 4 years now too, while still eating lots of carby foods.
  • MinnesotaYogaGirl
    MinnesotaYogaGirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thats the WONDERFUL thing about calorie counting...you don't have to restrict your carb intake and in turn you are a happier and more balanced person! Carb restriction is for the birds! When you meet crabby, miserable people in life, they are usually carb counters! LOL :sunglasses:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    People telling you to forget about counting carbs are wrong. First of all, we all process carbs different...
    No, we don't. Carbs are metabolized into simple sugars regardless of the source. That doesn't vary from one human body to another.

...Second, carbs from good sources (fruit, whole grains, etc) are fine. The more fiber the better. Processed breads and cereals aren't that great when trying to diet....
    What exactly makes fructose and sucrose from "good" sources fine, while fructose and sucrose from processed breads and cereals are "not that great"?

...Like someone said above "Nutrition is a very individual science."...
    Like I said above, not nearly as different as one might think. Unless we're comparing nutrition across different species of animals, and maybe throwing non-carbon based life forms into the mix. Human bodies are remarkably homogeneous.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html/
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i typically stay in the 40-60% range for carbs, just depends on the day and how much i feel i need, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    People telling you to forget about counting carbs are wrong.... [C]arbs from good sources (fruit, whole grains, etc) are fine. The more fiber the better. Processed breads and cereals aren't that great when trying to diet.

These are contradictory statements.

I have often said that for most people amount of carbs vs. amount of fat does not matter, the source of both is what matters. That position would equate to "counting carbs does not matter."

For some people, though -- maybe OP, maybe not -- amount of carbs can matter for hunger level or other things, and they also might matter for health. I'd still pay attention to the source of the carbs, of course (important to use carbs for non starchy veg if you don't have that many, IMO), but there might be a reason to count them, also.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Wow! I guess I need to frequent this area of the board more often than the "Fitness and Exercise section.
  • pcdoctor01
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks again all for responding. You are making me smile and laugh.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do now. My sister seems to take after my mom's side of the family while I tend to take after my dad's.
    need2move2 wrote: »
    I have a family history of diabetes... so.. I watch my carbs close.. hoping to avoid the disease as long as I can
    :)

Yes, doing that now.
    Listen to your doctor. He's the one looking at your blood work. If your triglycerides are elevated, then yes you do need to watch both carbs and sugar. And there's a host of other things your labs could be indicating that would make your doctor prescribe lowering your carbs. Perhaps "losing weight the wrong way" wasn't quite what your doctor said to you, but rather your take-away that was personal to you and made sense to you. Don't let people on the forums convince you to ignore your doctor. Weight loss isn't your only concern.

Yes, thanks.
    pcdoctor01 wrote: »
    I never realized the importance of counting carbs. Found out that I've been losing weight the incorrect way. Instead of counting carbs, I was watching my added sugar intake. I know what to do now but d*mn! One cup of Cheerios is 20 carbs. One cup of blueberries is 21 carbs. To think I've been eating two cups of Cherrios on some days and one day I even topped them with blueberries. This is really eye opening.

@pcdoctor01 learning the best way to personally eat can take years I am personally learning through trial and error. Nothing positive happened health or weight wise in my case until I learned how to count carbs. I still eat carbs and without bad side effects as long as I keep my daily intake <50 grams.

Best of success as you learn the best way for you to eat giving you the best total health. There is no one way of eating that works for 100% of the world. :)

Yes, watching my calorie intake and carbs.
    My Dad has diabetes so I really have to watch my carbs now because I tend to take after his side of the family. I don't have diabetes but since my Dad does I better be careful.

I'm a former pre-diabetic and I don't track carbs. Tracking my calorie intake and eating the correct amount of calories for my weight loss goals was enough to normalize my glucose number (I lost 50lbs by reducing my calorie intake). Now several years into maintenance I continue to see glucose numbers in the 80s and I still don't track my carb intake at all. I also come from a family tree full of type 2 diabetics (and obesity), and I'm the only one who's reversed the progression of prediabetes. CICO :)

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Still incorrect. You need to count calories rather than carbs. The other two macros can put you over maintenance quite magnificently
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you pcdoctor01! I hope you will find satisfaction in the diet your doctor recommends, and that it will make you feel well and be well. After looking at my lab work, my doctor also recommended lowering carb intake in addition to counting calories. It seemed really hard at first, but staying under 100 carbs (most days) makes me feel better physically and mentally. For me, lower carbs = more self control around food, less obsessive thinking about food, and as a result, less stressful calorie restriction. I hope you find the same!
  • pcdoctor01
    Options
    Cynthia, thanks for the kind works!!!
    <3

Best of luck to you pcdoctor01! I hope you will find satisfaction in the diet your doctor recommends, and that it will make you feel well and be well. After looking at my lab work, my doctor also recommended lowering carb intake in addition to counting calories. It seemed really hard at first, but staying under 100 carbs (most days) makes me feel better physically and mentally. For me, lower carbs = more self control around food, less obsessive thinking about food, and as a result, less stressful calorie restriction. I hope you find the same!

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    People telling you to forget about counting carbs are wrong. First of all, we all process carbs different. Second, carbs from good sources (fruit, whole grains, etc) are fine. The more fiber the better. Processed breads and cereals aren't that great when trying to diet. Like someone said above "Nutrition is a very individual science." See what works for you. Personally, I am gluten intolerant but even high carb items that are gluten free weigh me down and make me feel like crap. Carbs from fruits and veggies give me so much energy.

Could this be because eating foods that would have gluten in them where they have been made gluten free are heavier foods to begin with? For example, breads? Gluten free bread is incredibly dense, so it takes more to digest it and thus making you feel like crap. However, vegetables and fruits (which also have carbs in them - and no, not fruit/veggie carbs . . . just carbs) are usually lighter and more fibrous to begin with so they don't "weigh you down".
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses. I've lost weight but the doctor said I was doing it to wrong way. I was eating way too many carbs even though I was in a calorie deficit. I use the "Exercise and Fitness" discussion area 100% of the time but kinda figured I posted to the wrong discussion area.

"Doctors know squat about nutrition"- My Doctor.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Lol. Those saying that are well versed in science (some even have degrees) and successful at weight loss. I'd rather listen to those that know what they're talking about. ;)