Weight loss struggle and thyroid medication

Options
Hi
Looking for inspiration here, and motivation to continue with my new diet plan. Would love to hear of similar success stories.
I have Graves' disease which impacts on the body in several ways, one of the things it affects (which I really don't like) is my thyroid gland, my thyroid gland over produces. I'm on medication which slows everything down on the body, including the metabolism. And to top that off, I've stopped smoking.
I'm desperately trying to avoid weight gain, I'm pretty "fluffy" as it is, and fear gaining more weight. As a result I've introduced a very healthy eating plan which I'm sticking too religiously and I've joined my local gym. I've been doing weights and fitness classes most nights.

My question is, it's took three weeks for me to loose one pound!! Delighted yes, but jeeeze it's slow. Is there anything else I could incorporate to help my verrrry slow metabolism?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are off to a good start with your plan. Are you drinking enough water? I'm on Synthroid and I find drinking a lot really helps, combined with cutting out added sugar, and moderate portions.
  • Sophannah2017
    Sophannah2017 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been drinking water, but if I'm honest probably not enough. I have ordered one of these funky 2.2ltrs bottles which should help. I'm on carbimazole which has the side effect of weight gain
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    One of the things you will have to do is exercise every day - that's my downfall. I take 137mcg Synthroid daily as I do not have a thyroid. It's really hard to lose weight, but it is can be done.

Folks like us have to exercise daily, no excuses. I find when I exercise daily, the weight comes off (and yes slowly), but if for some reason I ease up or stop, the weight returns with a vengeance.

I restarted my walking program today and plan on having a calorie deficit of 500 calories daily = 1 lb per week.

I watch my sodium, sugar, do not eat any soy/tofu. Gave up meat/chicken years ago, try to eat healthy, but as I said my biggest obstacle is not exercise daily. Once I exercise daily, the weight comes off, but it is slow - like the tortise and the hare.
  • jandypanda1
    jandypanda1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You must think about, that muscles weight more than fat, and since you are working out, you gain muscles at the same time, that you burn fat. So chin up, and push on. I'm sure that you will loose some more pounds, as time goes by. Good luck.
  • Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have Hashimotos. I count calories and weigh my food. I am strict with weighing. I have not started to exercise. I know I have to but I lack the motivation. Losing weight is do able but you have to be on top of it when you have Autoimmune disease. I can gain weight at the drop of a hat. I am eating at 1200 and have to ensure I eat good foods. I save calories for chocolate everyday. I was stuck since Easter not losing so I played around with my calorie # and the weight has started to come off again. Good luck
  • Sophannah2017
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies, it means a lot knowing we are not alone. I don't know anyone else that has thyroid issues.
    It's definitely a lot slower of a loss than it has ever been for me, But YAY
    Och half my message has disappeared
  • Ken2Pam
    Ken2Pam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a combination of Graves/Hashimotos I take synthroid daily. Over 12 months I lost 40 lbs, came off both cholesterol and blood pressure medication. I have been able to keep the weight off for 36 months now, vice a 5 to 7 lb fluctuation over the holidays when I get a little lax with my eating. What really worked for me was three things, consistency working out in some form 5 times a week. I made sure to include cardio, running, biking, swimming or walking, several times a week. I also made sure to add strength training with and without weights at least 3 times a week. The exercise helped control the appetite, and the strength training built muscle which burns much more energy (calories) than the fat. It is a journey, but you can be victorious and that long term. Keep up the good fight.
  • Sophannah2017
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies, it means a lot knowing that we are not alone. I don't know anyone else that has thyroid issues.
    It's definitely a lot slower of a loss than it has ever been for me. But YAY, 1 pound down!!!
    I have cut out white bread, chocolate, crisps and starchy food types. I'm learning more and more about hidden sugars, as initially I thought I could replace a chocolate bar with a diet low fat whatever to find out it had the same sugar content as a mars bar!!!
    I've been exercising five days a week. I have been doing cardio classes five nights, such as metafit, body combat and boot camp....three of those days after my class I'll nip to the gym to do weights (which I love!!) ...I'm sure I can notice a very very slight change in my muscle tone.
    I'll keep badgering on, I just wish I could loose weight quicker than a pound in every week.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    After a total thyroidectomy I put on ~70 lbs over 14 years. I left a physically demanding military career and took a cushy civilian job in academia. I had no clue what my caloric intake was and never worked out - well I have an idea.
    I was eating as if I was still running 6mi/day and swimming 2mi/day, only I was sitting behind a desk all day. My wife was using MFP to log and get back in shape after our three kids and I started logging. I followed a moderate deficit and lost 60 lbs in the first year.

I find routine is what helps out the most. I get up at 5 am and take Synthroid (.175/.200 mcg alt/day) and don't eat anything for an hour. I have a hydration schedule and drink ~96 oz water/day. I maintain an accurate intake log, but don't cut out anything. I log in 10k steps/day, do cardio 30 min/day and lift 3 days/week.

I followed the work of Jeffrey Brown, MD. He revolutionized endocrinology and the application to endurance athletes. We're not alone - there are numerous elite level athletes out there with some manner of thyroid disorders. Jillian Michaels has Hashimoto's which I find very inspirational.