Weight Plateau

Options
How long do weight plateau's last? My SW: 248 and my CW is 228.6 I only go over my recommended 1500 calories a day once or twice a week but I never go over my adjusted net calorie's. I have been flat on weight loss for over a week. I am committed to this but need an idea of what other have experienced so I can set my mental expectation. TIA!!!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wait for the whoosh! You've got this! Keep going :D
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm eating well under 1200 calories a day and stopped losing for about a week 2 weeks in. I also kind of freaked out a little, then read an article about why it happens and about water consumption. I drank a ton (for me, which was probably 66 oz a day) for 2 days and then...wooosh...it started falling off again.
  • Cbaka27
    Cbaka27 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was drinking a gallon a day but have backed off a little. I spent to much time in the bathroom and not enough time at work. I will start again.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I'm eating well under 1200 calories a day and stopped losing for about a week 2 weeks in. I also kind of freaked out a little, then read an article about why it happens and about water consumption. I drank a ton (for me, which was probably 66 oz a day) for 2 days and then...wooosh...it started falling off again.

This isn't healthy. 1200 cals is the minimum you should be eating to meet your nutritional needs, unless you are very short (like under 5 foot) and completely sedentary. Please eat more.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Cbaka27 wrote: »
    I was drinking a gallon a day but have backed off a little. I spent to much time in the bathroom and not enough time at work. I will start again.

No need to drink so much water, staying hydrated is good but you can over do it with the water especially if it interrupts your sleep. You will be hydrated with fruit and vegetables you eat and everything else you may drink.
  • gabriellejayde
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

This isn't healthy. 1200 cals is the minimum you should be eating to meet your nutritional needs, unless you are very short (like under 5 foot) and completely sedentary. Please eat more.

Thanks for the concern but I'm ok. (I'm 5'5" btw).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

They're right. At your height, under 1200 calories is not a good idea. 1200 is a minimum for a reason. Toddlers eat more.
  • gabriellejayde
    Options

They're right. At your height, under 1200 calories is not a good idea. 1200 is a minimum for a reason. Toddlers eat more.

What's the reason?
    And thank tou

What's the reason?
    And thank you for the concern as well but I'm fine.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

What's the reason?
    And thank tou

What's the reason?
    And thank you for the concern as well but I'm fine.

I sincerely hope you have neglected logging food - I looked at a couple of days of your diary and you have logged less than 600 calories a day. Unless you are under a doctor's care, that is a dangerously low amount to eat. You can only burn through so much fat a day and then your body will start using your muscle for energy (you know, like your heart). Your body needs fuel to keep functioning and you simply aren't giving it enough if your diary is accurate.

You may "feel" fine right now, but you risk nutritional deficiencies eating at that low a calorie level.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    @Cbaka27

Your journey looks similar to mine (although I don't know how old you are or your height). My SW was 240, I'm at 204. I just came off what looked like a plateau, but I know it wasn't. As long as the deficit is there, and you're fairly accurate, the fat is still burning. Fluctuations, which have occurred all your life but you probably haven't noticed, can mask or exaggerate fat loss depending where you are the "cycle" of retaining water.

Just for an example, and this is counter-intuitive, I weighed 2 pounds less after eating 1500 calories into my day today than I did this morning (when everyone says to weigh yourself - right after you get up, use the restroom, and before you eat to make everything "the same" - which it can't be BTW). Dropped some water weight during the day. It's not like the scale was 'wrong' - water has mass and weighs something - it's just that it's something hard to regulate. I didn't suddenly lose 2 pounds of fat today. My water retention was simply masking it.

Those are the "Whooshes" everyone talks about.

Oh, and congratulations on your progress so far.