Drivers License Weight

Options
Cbaka27
Cbaka27 Posts: 35 Member
I started MFP 30 days ago with no real goal in mind. The only reason I did it was my wife started a few days before me. My start weight was 248 and I am currently 234.5. I decided today my first goal would be to get to my drivers licenses weight of 225 and then pre marriage weight of 218. For healthy BMI I should be around 170. Do you find it more effective to set little goals with a big goal in mind or just work toward the big goal. I step on the scale every day just to see the little victories. My healthy BMI is 64 lbs away and that feels like forever.

Replies

• jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Both approaches of little goals and big goals are necessary in my opinion. Example your big goal would be your 218lb weight (for now adjust later as needed) and each step on the way would be your micro goals, your 225lb for example, and those micro goals always build confidence and discipline to help you achieve your over all "big" goals.

Seems like you are well on your way to success in my eyes. The approach your taken is a sure fire way to achieving your goals. Motivation can dip over time just remember why you started always and you will make it.

I believe you will succeed in your endeavors, good luck and enjoy the journey!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm of no help. Come live in Australia, where the only thing on our licences is

Name
    Address
    date of birth
    Photo (and not even recent). The photo on my licence was taken over 5 years ago. I renew my licence every few years on the internet.

zero info about appearance/weight/height/eye colour etc

I had to comment, because I've always found your licence regs fascinating.
  • jpoehls9025
    Options
    Sorry I'm of no help. Come live in Australia, where the only thing on our licences is

Name
    Address
    date of birth
    Photo (and not even recent). The photo on my licence was taken over 5 years ago. I renew my licence every few years on the internet.

If he is in the USA our license has:
    Name
    License number
    Home Address
    D.O.B
    Sex
    Hgt
    Wgt
    Eyes
    Hair

Kinda freaky if you were to ever loose it huh lol
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Name
    Address
    date of birth

Name
    License number
    Home Address
    D.O.B
    Sex
    Hgt
    Wgt
    Eyes
    Hair

I think that varies state to state. Mine has height/weight, but others have said theirs do not. And Christine, you're lucky you can renew online. I have to go in person every four years!

I can't do smaller goals. I know in the back of my mind that ultimate goal is there, so it feels counterproductive.
  • jpoehls9025
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Name
    Address
    date of birth

Name
    License number
    Home Address
    D.O.B
    Sex
    Hgt
    Wgt
    Eyes
    Hair

I think that varies state to state. Mine has height/weight, but others have said theirs do not. And Christine, you're lucky you can renew online. I have to go in person every four years!

I can't do smaller goals. I know in the back of my mind that ultimate goal is there, so it feels counterproductive.

I never thought about state variations, makes sense tho there is a lot of diversity in this country. My state is Indiana and it has all kinds of identity stealing information on it lol. Kinda crazy if you think about it but I guess it helps the police with a general idea what you would look like if you were to commit a crime and they knew your name.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Name
    Address
    date of birth

Name
    License number
    Home Address
    D.O.B
    Sex
    Hgt
    Wgt
    Eyes
    Hair

I think the longest you can renew it here is 10 years. 10 years between photos can see a lot of change lol

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual. I have enjoyed certain milestones along the way and I think they can be motivating but for me, it has always been about the big goal at the "finish".
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Here (in Michigan) there is a spot on the renewal form for weight but it doesn't actually appear on the license. I actually stressed about it for a while, since I was 9 months pregnant when I had to renew this last time. It would be ridiculous to give them my current weight at the time, since it would be wrong before the month was up, but I had no idea what else to put. I think I'm actually really close to my 'made-up' weight right now, after being on MFP for 95 days.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Lots of people use mini-goals. You can read about them in the Success Stories forum. I've blown past my DL weight a few months back. I'm wondering what happens if I get pulled over @ 245 lbs when my DL says 300.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I like the little goals...5 lbs, 10 lbs, getting into each new weight group (180's, 170's etc). I weigh every day to see trends which I prefer. There is an app called "happy scale" that I really like for tracking your weight and setting mini goals. I know others do better if they get on the scale less often, for me that's a flag that I am avoiding it which is not a good thing! Owning the daily results and trying to understand them works for me!

Oh, and after 20 lbs lost I am only 4 lbs away from my license weight! Close enough that I wouldn't get that "stinkeye" from the employee at the DMV!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Funny, but my final goal weight IS the one that's been on my driver's license for the past 10 years. I'm pretty sure it was that long ago that I was at that weight (and I probably fudged by 5 lbs at the time).

I set mini-goals with a target final in mind. When I reach one goal, I celebrate somehow - non-food related, like a concert or a new dress or a massage. Some of my goals are not weight related at all but contribute to the overall weight loss in the long run. I plan to do several 5k's this year and a 10k bridge crossing in October. The 10k has a time limit, so you have to finish before they close the bridge to pedestrian traffic. I refuse to get picked up by the 'sweeper' bus so that's a definite training goal!

Call us crazy, but the husband and I were even looking at a Warrior Dash this year!
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Keep the big goal in mind but set the little goals. When you reach each little goal, you get to celebrate and/or be rewarded WAY more often. We like to be rewarded by achieving something and it feels good. Keep shooting for those little goals.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I definitely liked having mini-goals because they came with rewards! :) I stopped eating pasta, so when I craved it, I would just remind myself it was coming (my reward) as soon as I hit my mini-goal and that eased the craving. Having been obese for 30 years, I didn't even know what my final goal would be.

Here in Pennsylvania, we don't have our weight on our DLs, but after losing 130 lbs, no one recognizes me in the picture. I got carded at a bar and the guy didn't believe it was my license. I didn't care--I was ecstatic that at age 50 I got carded. :D

That would be fun to do a before and after driver's license thread..
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Name
    Address
    date of birth

Name
    License number
    Home Address
    D.O.B
    Sex
    Hgt
    Wgt
    Eyes
    Hair

I have all this on mine as well and of course if elect organ donation or not.

I just renewed my Friday and asked about online renewals. We can renew once online every 8 years.
  • Cbaka27
    Cbaka27 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Myxalplyx wrote: »
    Keep the big goal in mind but set the little goals. When you reach each little goal, you get to celebrate and/or be rewarded WAY more often. We like to be rewarded by achieving something and it feels good. Keep shooting for those little goals.

Done...this morning I was 224.4 or .06 below my DL weight. Next goal is wedding weight 218!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Both...big goal and milestones along the way.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

Name
    Address
    date of birth

We can renew our license on the internet as well. The only time I had to get my picture re-done since 2008 was two years ago when I got married and changed my last name and address. They required me to go to the local DMV and get a brand new picture but most people keep the same picture for 8 years and then renew online for another 8 years here.

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

Name
    Address
    date of birth

Name
    License number
    Home Address
    D.O.B
    Sex
    Hgt
    Wgt
    Eyes
    Hair

I never thought about state variations, makes sense tho there is a lot of diversity in this country. My state is Indiana and it has all kinds of identity stealing information on it lol. Kinda crazy if you think about it but I guess it helps the police with a general idea what you would look like if you were to commit a crime and they knew your name.

I just renewed my license today, and in PA there's no weight on it.