Are BCAAs necessary?

Options
2»

Replies

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    Info I got from my trainer was that they're only worth it if you train fasted in the mornings.
    Otherwise, if you're getting your protein, there'll already be enough in your system from meals and snacks to not worry about it.

This is the conclusion I've come to from the sources I've read. If you are getting sufficient protein they offer no benefit. However, if you are training in a fasted state that are beneficial.

Two of my sessions per week are fasted and on those days I take them as part of a PWO.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I take them with my protein shake but can't say they have done much for me but I don't train in a fasted condition. They are fairly cheap though.

Don't understand why you simply wouldn't put more protein in your protein shake?

Alan Aragon:
    If you’re coming up short on protein, I’d choose whey over BCAA.
    1st off, whey is 25% BCAA.
    2ndly, whey contains the rest of the EAAs.
    Third, whey is more satiating (BCAA has appetite-stimulatory properties).
    4th, whey contains beneficial biofractions such as lactoferrin, immunoglobulins, lactoperoxidase, glycomacropeptide, and bovine serum albumin. All of these goodies are missing from isolated BCAA supps. I look at whey as “BCAA-Plus”. Why buy only part of the spectrum of benefits when you can get the whole thing for the same price or less?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Like most supplements, they have definitely been over-hyped. But they may be beneficial in a few cases: 1. low protein diets, 2. training fasted and not eating for prolonged periods after, 3. placebo (this is applies to a lot of things)

For me, they also provide a satiety/suppressant effect.

Last bit is surprising as I thought they had the opposite effect on appetite. Used in treatment of anorexics for example.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I take them with my protein shake but can't say they have done much for me but I don't train in a fasted condition. They are fairly cheap though.

So you take protein with your protein shake?
    sijomial wrote: »

Don't understand why you simply wouldn't put more protein in your protein shake?

Alan Aragon:
    If you’re coming up short on protein, I’d choose whey over BCAA.
    1st off, whey is 25% BCAA.
    2ndly, whey contains the rest of the EAAs.
    Third, whey is more satiating (BCAA has appetite-stimulatory properties).
    4th, whey contains beneficial biofractions such as lactoferrin, immunoglobulins, lactoperoxidase, glycomacropeptide, and bovine serum albumin. All of these goodies are missing from isolated BCAA supps. I look at whey as “BCAA-Plus”. Why buy only part of the spectrum of benefits when you can get the whole thing for the same price or less?

Sorry, I meant to type preworkout shake. Had protein on the mind.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    They are good during a cut to help preserve muscle. They also help with sugar cravings, it tastes sweet like lemonade. I like to sip throughout the day in addition to the huge amount of water I drink.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    They are good during a cut to help preserve muscle. They also help with sugar cravings, it tastes sweet like lemonade. I like to sip throughout the day in addition to the huge amount of water I drink.

They're good during a cut to help preserve muscle because they're protein. Just like any other protein. Protein is good during a cut to help preserve muscle.

If somebody isn't getting adequate protein intake, BCAAs may help. If somebody is getting adequate protein intake, BCAAs won't make a bit of difference.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Bro. No.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

A good, quality protein shake should have BCAA's in them.

I stopped taking BCAAs years ago and noticed no difference whatsoever, but I consistently eat 1 gram protein/per lb of body weight a day,

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Necessary? No. There's some evidence that in a fasted state - like early morning chug-your-coffee-and-hit-the-weights training workouts - that they help with muscle protein synthesis. Whether this is anything substantial is up for debate.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes. Three of the essential amino acids, valine, leucine and isoleucine, are BCAA's. That said, you can get them through a healthy diet and do not have to use supplements.

I do find that a BCAA supplement reduces post workout muscle soreness during my heavy weight training days.