Which macro is your main priority? and why?

Options
Which macro is your main priority? and why?

I try to hit a minimum of half my bodyweight in protein to avoid muscle loss.

Fat is my secondary goal.

And I try to keep carbs below 30g (sugar below 15g).

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats. I lift so I need the protein to maintain my lean mass. Fats for hormones and healthy hair and skin; I prefer to look 5 years younger vs 10 years older haha. Carbs, while delicious, are really the only macro I can afford to manipulate
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Protein. I focus on getting around 1 g / lb of LBM.

After that I care more about eating enough vegetables than macro amounts, although I am trying pretty low carb at the moment (if I have low carbs I easily have high fat, I don't really have to work at it).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Protein is for me and I aim for .8 to 1 gram per my body weight. Currently in a calorie deficit and protein helps with muscle sparing and also provides me with satiety. I do however need the right balance of all three to assure that my training needs are met.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Protein. Mainly because I'm trying to recomp right now so hitting that number especially days I lift is important to me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Protein as well. Aiming for around 1g per lb bodyweight or more at the moment because I am cutting (mind you I am not tracking, just guestimating). I do try to keep carbs lower <200g on my two lower cal/rest days.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Protein. Suppresses appetite, requires more energy to digest and contributes to muscle growth when combined w/strength based exercises.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't track macros but I gravitate towards a higher carb woe because carbs make me feel fuller for longer than fat or protein.
  • david_1988
    david_1988 Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Carbs make up 50-60% of my calories (>340g+) most days. I run most days, so they're pretty useful.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Protein, because I find that as long as I focus on that, then the other numbers tend to fall into about the right place. Plus, I tend to get less hungry if I make sure I have some protein with every meal.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    When I was still primarily worried about weight loss as a goal, I did not really pay attention to macros at all, only calories. A calorie is a calorie from this perspective. You can eat "clean" (whatever the hell that means) and still get fat if you consume too many calories.

Now that I am into weight training, I am much more concerned with protein intake for obvious reasons.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Protein. I never have a problem hitting my fat goal and couldn't care less where my carbs or sugar counts end up.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein. I reduce fat when I cut weight (still well above minimum levels) and increase carbs/sugar to support performance.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Protein - because I'm a vegetarian. I'm more concerned, however, with vitamin B12 and iron.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Protein because it is easier for me to eat carbs and fats. Protein helps me to feel more satisfied.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Macro-ni. Boxed. Powdered cheese. :love:
    Reason: when the cheese starts flowin', it gets your noodle goin'
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Carbs because I eat a high fiber diet.
    Second would be fat because if I don't pay attention it I eat way too much.

I don't worry about protein because I have plenty of muscle without eating a lot of protein.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    protein for maintaining lbm. i give nods to fiber minimums and sodium maximums but they rarely fall where they should.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Protein and then fat/fiber (if they aren't in the right balance I have constipation issues)
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Fat, but in the opposite sense to what I think you were asking, keeping my diet very low fat as awaiting gallbladder removal
  • TrekkieJenee
    TrekkieJenee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I never have a problem getting enough protein or fat. So, I focus on fiber. If I do that, those are the days my macros are all balanced.