Wife and I on our weight loss journey together - Initial success

Options
mbarilli06
mbarilli06 Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2017 in Success Stories
Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forums and wanted to take some time to thank the community. Hearing everyone's stories about their weight loss journeys, hints and tips, and potential pit falls has helped my wife and I a lot. When we both decided to lose weight a month ago, we wanted to the embrace the cliched 'lifestyle change' rather than the 'as few calories as possible' mantra.

We ate mostly takeaway food and rarely cooked. I work night shifts, early mornings and late nights so it was difficult to have a healthy diet. We both worked hard and that was why we were unhealthy and overweight. I know now that was nonsense and we can make as many excuses as we like to continue our bad habits. It's easy for me to say I'm overweight because I grab fast food on my way from work at 6am. It's easy to say I'm too tired, let's order a pizza. The truth is, in order to eat such a poor diet, you have to wean yourself on to it. It takes time and effort to continuously fuel your body with junk and make it think it needs it to survive. When fresh fruit and vegetables are introduced, your body is shocked. It doesn't taste as sweet/sour/juicy/salty as junk food. It doesn't satisfy you as much as a huge Chick fil A meal. In the same way you have to wean yourself on to bad food, you must wean yourself ON to good food.

One month ago we decided we were going to count all of our calories and me mindful of everything we ate and cooked. We started by still buying food we enjoyed but choosing lower salt/fat/sugar equivalents. We didn't eat ready meals or processed food (mostly) and cooked almost everything we ate. The key to our success in the first month is not relying on a broccoli and water diet because we'd hate every minute of it. We had smaller portions, healthier food and didn't eat late at night. Slowly but surely our bodies got used to having less food. Vegetables tasted nicer, the homemade meals were fresh and delicious. Our stomachs were full on much less food and we felt better for it.

When I first started I weighed 263lbs. I am 6'3" and 34 years old and I wanted to lose 63lbs, which I was around 7 years ago. In my first month I lost 25lbs. Around 7-8lbs was lost in the first week as I lowered my sodium intake and lost a lot of water associated with glycogen. I'd guess that around 12-15lbs is actually fat loss. I know this isn't really healthy to lose so much in a short period of time but I was seriously overweight. We understand that our goal is to lose weight first then we can focus on a more balanced and healthier diet when we are closer to our goals. We've started walking and hiking and a 9-mile trek for me is a 1600 calorie deficit. We feel healthier and look better.

I just wanted to say that we are determined to succeed and in the process have developed a love for cooking. Nothing tastes better than a homemade meal, lovingly prepared.

I hope people who are starting their journeys take time to realise that each person is different. Take each piece of advice with a pinch of salt and see what works for your body. One of the key things I've learned is that in order to lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. Losing weight and nutrition are NOT the same thing. When you start, don't do down either of the 'as few calories as possible' or the 'eat only fresh veggies and water' route. Strike a good balance between what you enjoy eating and what is helping you lose weight.

Thanks, guys!

Replies

• pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, congratulations on your successes so far and I'm certain you'll both succeed with such a balanced approach.
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats and keep up the good work
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations on your hard work. I don't think your weight loss was too fast for the beginning stages. Mine fell off super quick at first. Now I'm having to work much much harder and it goes slower. Cutting out bread helped me ramp it up a little. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • maureented
    maureented Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your wife!
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's win, win, win all the way especially as you're doing it together. Great stuff!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your wife for the wonderful decision you have made to get healthy together. I can relate. My husband and I came to MFP four and a half years ago. Just like you, we learned so much. Such as eating at a caloric deficit and smaller portions rather than restricting certain foods. Together we lost around 240 pounds and can attest how wonderful it is to do together as a couple!
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's wonderful to hear that you have discovered a love of cooking and found a new activity to share as a couple. Keep up the excellent work and I have no doubt you'll both reach your goals. Best of luck with the rest of your journey :)
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Best wishes and thumbs up for the great and realistic approach. Keep logging and watching here for inspiration to keep on track.
    We know you both will do spectacular!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    You made some excellent points- goo dluck on your journey- keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!