Does Anyone Else Have Trouble Eating in the Summer?

Ever since I was a child, my appetite would plummet the moment the weather began to get warmer. I'm not sure why this was, but I remember my mom being worried for me when I was younger. Because of this, I have always lost some weight in the summer, but I had never realized the difference in how I ate between seasons until recently. I started counting calories back in March - with my goal being 1240. I had no trouble hitting that at all, and I learned how to fit treats into my diet. The last week has been hot and muggy, and I suddenly found myself not hungry. I simply forget to eat. I realize now that, before this lifestyle change, I'd eat (on average) 2500 calories in the cooler months and around 800 calories when it was hot. I'm not going to do that this time because I plan to do this right. However, am I alone in this? Does anyone else notice this radical change in diet? I know, from experience, I eat more in the late evening, so I might plan to have a bigger meal later in the day. Any other thoughts?

Replies

• Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    Yes, I always slow down my eating in the summer. I have always lost weight in summer too. It's too hot for me to eat.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    I don't eat as much in the summer. I do better if I switch to more seasonal foods like veggies and fruit, and stick to chicken and fish. Even if I don't get the same hunger cues my blood sugar still drops every 4 hours, so I just plan what to eat and stick to a schedule.
  • Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    lucypstacy wrote: »
    Any other thoughts?

Stay in a cold, air-conditioned room and eat? ;)
    But really, I tend to lose my appetite a little more in the summer, too. What about eating big salads and protein smoothies? I would think you could add up quite a few calories and macros eating those two things.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    My food choices change by season but calorie intake stays around the same. I'm more active in the summer though so I drop a few pounds and then regain them over the winter months, (I call them my winter fluff lol).
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Yes.. I loathe cooking anything during the summer months, so that only leaves pantry food or fridge food that doesn't require an oven/range/microwave.

I've actually been having trouble the last few days getting to 1200.. and my allotment is 1560. MFP has a habit of reminding me of how little I'm eating when I log my food for the day, but honestly I just don't feel like eating.

I feel slightly better knowing I'm not alone.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Maybe. I don't think so since I started logging though, because I try to get every last calorie even if I'm not hungry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Peanut butter/banana/protein powder smoothies were my go-to breakfast smoothies during the warmer months until I started weighing the peanut butter :(

Something to consider for those of you having trouble hitting calorie goals.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    I am thinking when I was younger I was a lot more active in the summer than in winter, but nonetheless this is not me in anyway.

OP have you considered drinking high calorie smoothies and shakes if you are having trouble getting your calories. Do you have any calorie dense foods you enjoy like peanut butter, ice cream, etc that can help you get in your calories?
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    I like nuts, so I was planning to use almonds or something to add any calories I might need. So far, it's been okay for me, but I started noticing the appetite drop.

Oddly, staying cool indoors doesn't seem to help all that much. I have to stay inside more than I like since some of medications make me sensitive to the sun.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I eat more in winter and usually gain a few lbs, which easily drops off in summer as i eat less when the weather is hot.

So, i don't have trouble eating per se, but my appetite does reduce in summer, plus i drink a lot of water which may help with the appetite suppression.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited May 2017
    I think it's pretty common to have a larger appetite in the winter when it's cold (and your body wants a little extra insulation) and a smaller appetite in the summer when it's hot (and the extra insulation is no longer necessary). And while we can obviously just dress for the weather, that doesn't change millenia of evolution. It's similar to my two indoor cats growing extra fur in the winter and shedding it in spring even though the house is the same temperature year round.

It also doesn't help that "summery" foods tend to be lighter while "wintery" foods tend to be heavier and higher calorie. Unless, of course, you're really into beer and ice cream in summer.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I'm feeling so much hungrier the last week or so since the weather started getting colder and the days are shorter. When it's really hot I'll still eat but more likely cool things like salad or fruit.