Do you weigh frozen appetizers before or after they're cooked?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Because I can see it making a decent difference. I'm making frozen cheese curds because I'm having a comfort dinner (sick with the flu) and I know an 1oz (28g I think?) of cheese is usually like 70-100 calories when it's not frozen. This says 55g = 200 calories. They are lightly breaded with bread crumbs. Do you think I should weigh them before or after I cook them? The cheese is cheddar. Lol. idk if that matters? I actually was assuming cooked since cheese is rarely frozen and the weight seems to make sense with the calories if it were cooked.

Replies

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Good question, following
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You pretty much always weigh food before it's cooked.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I always weigh before cooking unless the label specifies cooked/prepared...etc.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Because I can see it making a decent difference. I'm making frozen cheese curds because I'm having a comfort dinner (sick with the flu) and I know an 1oz (28g I think?) of cheese is usually like 70-100 calories when it's not frozen. This says 55g = 200 calories. They are lightly breaded with bread crumbs. Do you think I should weigh them before or after I cook them? The cheese is cheddar. Lol. idk if that matters? I actually was assuming cooked since cheese is rarely frozen and the weight seems to make sense with the calories if it were cooked.

This depends on how its originally sold in the packages. If its sold frozen, then its frozen weight that is written on the back.

I am also confused by the question, 28 grams of cheese is 70 to 100 calories (a range?)? If you take it as a 100, it makes sense that 55 grams is 200 calories, nearly 2 servings.

Honestly though, I doubt there is going to be a huge difference in calories defrosted vs frosted weight. You can weight it as frosted if you wanna be on the safe side, or you can weigh it defrosted if you feel like wildin' out.

rMGvv5R.gif

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »

This depends on how its originally sold in the packages. If its sold frozen, then its frozen weight that is written on the back.

I am also confused by the question, 28 grams of cheese is 70 to 100 calories (a range?)? If you take it as a 100, it makes sense that 55 grams is 200 calories, nearly 2 servings.

Honestly though, I doubt there is going to be a huge difference in calories defrosted vs frosted weight. You can weight it as frosted if you wanna be on the safe side, or you can weigh it defrosted if you feel like wildin' out.

rMGvv5R.gif

It made a bit of a difference so I went with frozen to be safe. I was eating over 200g because that's all I had for dinner with guacamole, sour cream and green onion. lol over 900 calories. :blush: no shame. I couldn't eat all day but my throat felt better and I never have a spare thousand calories to waste lol. Also yes a range only because different companies make their cheese differently and also different types of cheese have different calorie amounts. I meant cheese in general not necessarily the one I had. I was just trying to figure out if the calories made more sense with the frozen or cooked weight. Too close to call. Lol. It was a difference of about 5g per serving or less.