Question about preparing canned tuna

As one of my standard source of proteins (apart from scrambled eggs in the morning with my coffee), I've been eating whole wheat tuna sandwich for lunch at the office with two small bottles of water.

Now, my wife have been helping me prepare salad meals for me during dinner time, and I bought her some canned tuna in olive oil to add to my protein intake (you can tell I love tuna hehe).

I need to spice things up abit. Can you guys give me tips on how to prepare tuna for either salads or sandwich? Maybe share how you guys prepare it? Any tips would be well appreciated.

Thanks in advanced all.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I'm just lazy and when I am in the mood to eat the tuna, I just eat it straight out of the can.

I always buy canned tuna packed only in water, drain the water out, add just a tbsp of olive oil (which is a lot less oil than is used if it comes canned in oil), add some salt/pepper to taste and I'm done.

It's not "interesting" but it provides a huge amount of protein w/very few extra cals with very little effort.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    @sgt1372 Are you me? Seriously though, I agree completely.

I buy all the different "flavors" of tuna I can find. Vinaigrette, some kinda salsa thing with a few beans and jalapenos, sundried tomatoes and fetta, etc. That's enough to satisfy my desire for variety. Everything except those "mayo and corn" varieties because mayo adds way too much extra fat and calories, corn is pointless and it's just kind of gross in general.

If you don't want to buy them and you want to keep buying straight tuna packed in oil or water, maybe you can emulate those recipes?
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    I mix it with hummus and hotsauce, or spicy relish and real mayo
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    For sandwich I usually use

1 TBsp Mayo
    1 TBsp Mustard
    1 TBsp Sweet relish
    per 8 oz small can.

If I'm eating it "plain" I'll add 1/2 cup pace hot picante to an 8 oz can

The measurements are approximate and eyeballed to taste.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I love adding pickled jalapeños to my tuna, but I also like using lemon pepper marinade instead of mayo. I've done that since I was a kid!
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Some mayo, can of tuna-water drained, one slice of low fat cheese, maybe two. Heat it up and put it on whole wheat bread lightly toasted so it doesn't get soggy.
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    I add mayo, pickles and red onions to my tuna but I eat it from the bowl using chips as my spoon. Usually sour cream and onion or bbq Lays for the chip spoons. I do the same with my egg salad but I don't add pickles.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Personally, I always buy tuna canned in water.

I like tuna with yellow mustard instead of mayo. Cuts out a bunch of calories too.

I also like to make tuna patties with tuna, panko bread crumbs, an egg, and some herbs (usually salt, pepper, garlic, and dill). I just pan fry these with a spritz of Pam.

If you need to cut calories or carbs, you can hollow out a cucumber to make a boat and put your tuna in that instead of using bread.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    I make tuna sandwiches with olive oil mayonnaise, green onion, celery, black pepper, and paprika. Sometimes I'll leave out the pepper and paprika and use sriracha sauce instead.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    rhaiin wrote: »
    Personally, I always buy tuna canned in water.

I like tuna with yellow mustard instead of mayo. Cuts out a bunch of calories too.

I also like to make tuna patties with tuna, panko bread crumbs, an egg, and some herbs (usually salt, pepper, garlic, and dill). I just pan fry these with a spritz of Pam.

If you need to cut calories or carbs, you can hollow out a cucumber to make a boat and put your tuna in that instead of using bread.

Tuna in oil has 2 strikes, 1 extra calories, 2 flavor. So count me in on water only.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    - Tuna mixed in with my pasta. I use high fiber pasta then add in normal tuna salad ingredients - light mayo, egg, pickle, etc

- Core out large tomato and fill with seasoned tuna. Especially good when tomatoes are in season.

560byr0if9lp.png

ke46cubmf67o.png
  • delonate55
    delonate55 Posts: 2 Member
    I usually add some finely chopped celery to give it some crunch, red onions, a little mayo.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Straight from can ... drizzled with sriracha
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I love adding pickled jalapeños to my tuna, but I also like using lemon pepper marinade instead of mayo. I've done that since I was a kid!

Lemon pepper marinade!!! Mind blown - why have I never thought of this?
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »

They make flavored pouches now that only cost $1. They come in lemon pepper. My favorite flavors are Ranch and Thai Chili.

Tuna Pouch Flavors
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    The packets of flavored tuna are pretty good to mix things up a bit. But I add chopped onions, mayo, relish, mustard, and a boiled egg to my tuna.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    rhaiin wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

They make flavored pouches now that only cost $1. They come in lemon pepper. My favorite flavors are Ranch and Thai Chili.

Tuna Pouch Flavors

But I'm picky with tuna - I only eat the solid white variety. Thai Chili sounds yummy too. Not sure about ranch (?).
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    I love tuna too. I recently started buying the canned Albacore tuna packed in water. It is so good. It costs a bit more than regular tuna, but has a really good flavor.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    I love tuna too. I recently started buying the canned Albacore tuna packed in water. It is so good. It costs a bit more than regular tuna, but has a really good flavor.

Yes albacore tuna is so much better in my opinion.
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    I mixed can (in water) tuna with spinach/artichoke dip for a different taste.